Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 162 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Worked for Steve Jobs when he got the Mac design work done. 😉 However, in this era of #metoo it’s a methodology that’s frowned on and proven not to work well. Especially in the arts. I mean, if I were a writer, I’d be more inspired to be more creative and get the job done if my producer was doing stuff to inspire me (brain storms, team activities, etc.) instead of yelling at me. Yelling may motivate me to get the job done but it’s not going to be quality work.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

It’s the season 2 poster image! And…wait, as that the weird undulating firebird-shaped thing from the middle of the “forehead” of the creature Zoltar used to answer to/grovel before in Battle of the Planets?

Star Trek: Discovery

…because that’s the first thing I thought of when I saw it. 😆

Impervious Leader

ZLoth
    ZLoth

You sure? Looks like something from Chōjin Sentai Jetman (grins).

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Season premiere: January 17th, 2019. (2.5 weeks after The Orville’s season premiere.) And, oh hey, new trailer with Spock and Pike and hairy Klingons!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I liked it. Looks like they’re trying to backpedal their drastic re-designs and shut up all the armchair critics gnashing their teeth that Discovery doesn’t adhere to their notion of canon. Canon that’s been cobbled together through unofficial sources and licensed books by iffy writers, filled with contradictory info that people choose to embrace or discard at their own whim. Meanwhile Roddenberry himself decided that The Animated Series was no longer in canon, and that was an actual TV series – I think people should shut up about canon since it’s been shown to be highly flexible when the needs arise. There’s a reason why Disney jettisoned everything other than officially released Star Wars movies and productions. I’m actually shocked it took them so long to deliberate on it instead of instantly announcing that the hundreds of novels are all horrible crap and it’s being chucked in the bin.

We finally have Star Trek back, and people online are trying as hard as they can to torpedo it. All because the series has the gall to not be The Next Generation, the first Trek show I’m sure all of them ever saw.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

More NYCCC news – one word:

Talosians.

Sounds like it’s gonna be a cage match to me…

Also, I’m really impressed with how much they made Rebecca Romjin look like Majel’s character from the original pilot, 52 years later.

All this isn’t bad for a failed pilot, is it? I hear you on online fandom insisting on shooting itself in the foot with a bazooka. I went to search Youtube for the above trailer, and in addition to the above trailer, the search results also included lots of fan video thinkpieces on why the new trailer spells TEH END OF STAR TREK!!!1!!!1!!!one!!!

Amazing how it’s failing so hard that nearly half a dozen spinoff projects are said to be in the works. Give me some of that kind of failure any day.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I just found out that Discovery is now available for purchase on YouTube. I guess forcing people in the US to subscribe to a technically iffy service – that lots of people have complained about getting working – might have been a bad idea. Maybe now that Les Moonves is gone they’re rethinking their strategy, making it less difficult for Americans to see the show and giving us an easily available outlet might help with the viewership numbers.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Anybody else watching the new season? I am, and I have to say it’s pretty good. Nice mystery at the core, they’re actually turning some of the bloody stage lights on (and rendering the space scenes to look more ‘Trek-like’ rather than dark and realistically like season 1) and they’re trying to give the rest of the bridge crew some identites.

I’m blown away by the constant onslaught of negativity displayed by people on YouTube for the show. They say the same idiotic things… “Discovery has technology not shown on TOS” for example. I was watching an episode of TOS the other day, and noticed for the first time that the computer makes adding machine sounds. Because in the era the show was made, that’s what a computer was. Microprocessors were mainly located in labratories and nightmarishly slow, they wouldn’t have known what computers would evolve into in the late ’60s. They extrapolated their current level of technology to its farthest point, which is why no screen read-outs, just blinky lights. They were in no way going to go back to that level of technology. They couldn’t, and gain a younger audience. They want to expand Trek’s fan base rather than play to the small core group of nerds like us who’ll watch anything with Star Trek in the name. They have to update the visuals and technology to what we would currently think the future would look like.

Star Trek: The Next Generation was dull. In hindsight, it was slow and boring with so many episodes ending with a technobabble “deus ex machina” and pushing the magic reset button so it wouldn’t matter which order it was shown in syndication. But that’s what most people grew up with, so that’s Trek to them and anything else is unacceptable. DS9 didn’t have the ratings TNG did, Voyager had even lower, and Enterprise hovered slightly lower than Voyager’s ratings. So when I see people bitching about “they’re not giving Trek fans what they want”, it makes me angry. What they want is The Next Generation again. And that’ll never happen. That’s the only reason the Orville is doing well, it’s feeding that desire for Next Gen, right down to the swiping of episode concepts from Next Gen and TOS. It’s why I can’t watch it – I thought TNG was boring, so why would I want a knock-off of it but with dick jokes and less likeable characters?

When I see YouTube videos about how Star Trek is abandoning the show’s core fans, I want to say that Star Trek fans abandoned Star Trek a long time ago. Not sticking around in the same numbers for DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise. Remember how fans were shitting themselves when Enterprise first started… and the show didn’t start with a generic orchestral theme song, but an actual song? People refused to watch the show because they didn’t like the theme song? How dare they ever call themselves a Star Trek fan. It’s a song. It’s actually an appropriate and optimistic song, and fits the theme of the show. They knew their viewer base was contracting, and they were doing something different to try to bring in new viewers. Trek fans don’t deserve Star Trek if they’re that petty. Me, I’m just happy to have any Star Trek back on TV, I have the intelligence to understand the changes that had to be made to appeal to a new audience and appreciate it on its own merits rather than whining that the set doesn’t look like an ’80s Hilton hotel conference room with a bald British actor sitting in the middle playing a Frenchman. They have to branch out, they can’t only appeal to a small core of nerds, they need to expand, not contract like they did before. And that means real story arcs, flashier special effects, and sets that don’t look like cardboard with Christmas lights flashing and glass beads and random switches glued to everything.

Sorry, I’ve been watching a bunch of negative videos about the new series and I needed to rant a little.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

OK, I’m going to bend my “no politics” forum rule to near the breaking point here, but yeah… the ranting “0MG THEY’R3 RUIN!NG ST4R TR3K!!!!!1!!!one!!!” videos. Or, worse yet, the ones claiming that CBS All Access is failing, the show is failing, and so on.

If you go looking – and really, for the sake of your blood pressure and avoiding migraines, I really recommend that you don’t – you can find similar videos on the ‘tube claiming the same of Doctor Who – that it’s somehow suffering the worst ratings EVARRRR!!!! and “0MG THE POL1TIC4L CORR3CTNE55 IS K!LL!NG MY SH0000OOOWW!” or even, say, The Last Jedi and/or Solo.

And none of this is true. The most recent season of Doctor Who had the best ratings since David Tennant was the Doctor (which shocked the hell out of me – I thought Matt Smith had been more popular than he apparently was). CBS All Access has grown by 50% since this time last year, especially in the key “males 18-45” demographic. (And don’t forget that, between U.S. elections, Russian hackers were practicing their skills by sowing divisions in public opinion about…The Last Jedi!?)

And the reason I bring the Russian hackers and all of that attendant, very heavy, baggage into this is as follows: the “loudly try to take control of the narrative” approach to the 2016 election has spilled over into other aspects, perhaps all other aspects, of our lives. Pissed off about news that doesn’t fit the pre-formed narrative supporting your opinion? Boom! It’s Fake News (TM, pat. pend.)!

Bottom line: entities such as the BBC and CBS All Access have to divulge ratings numbers, etc., because they have stakeholders who demand that information, and the information almost always comes from independent sources (just to forestall the “they’re cooking their ratings books!” rants from some of the Youtube videos). The BBC has actually been more proactively touting the Doctor Who ratings this season precisely because of the incorrect information being touted by naysayers who had made up their minds in July 2017 that Jodie Whittaker was a failure, before she had even so much as filmed an episode. Same with the anti-Discovery crowd – they made up their minds at that first trailer. Because the control panels and uniforms don’t look the same.

Which brings us back to:

I was watching an episode of TOS the other day, and noticed for the first time that the computer makes adding machine sounds. Because in the era the show was made, that’s what a computer was. Microprocessors were mainly located in labratories and nightmarishly slow, they wouldn’t have known what computers would evolve into in the late ’60s. They extrapolated their current level of technology to its farthest point, which is why no screen read-outs, just blinky lights. They were in no way going to go back to that level of technology.

The purists need to double-check Star Trek Continues and New Voyages – even James and Vic didn’t stick to the blinky lights idea. Both shows had LCD screens that reframed the blinky light panels as an animated user interface. Even the guys building McMaster-blueprint-perfect Enterprise bridges knew you couldn’t get away with just blinky lights anymore.

Back in the ’90s, DS9 set a world record for the number of live video screens built into its bridge set, and then a couple of years later Voyager set a new record for it. Were those meant to be 4:3 CRT raster screens in the fictional scenario of the show? Of course not. They were meant to be touchscreens or animated parts of larger touchscreens, but the sheer abundance of 4:3 CRT raster screens in the set was the most economical way possible, with the technology available, to convey that on screen. Jonathan Frakes blew my mind last week on Twitter when he revealed that the big “floating” display screens at the duty stations on Discovery – you know, the ones you can see through – are actually practical displays being fed live video like in the old days, not blank screens with the displays added in post-production (which is what I had assumed).

Times change. Only the shows and franchises that change with the times survive. But some fans – and by “some fans”, let’s face it, we’re talking inflexible middle-aged white guys – seem to have a tougher time changing. Now if only they had an equally tough time flooding the internet with bullshit. If you don’t like a show… fine. You’re welcome to not like a show. I don’t like Arrow. But I don’t devote ridiculous amounts of time to trying to tell the universe that it will be the downfall of the DC TV universe. (And I would be wrong to do so, since the DC shows that I do like on the CW – The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow – owe their existence to the initial success of Arrow.)

Maybe I’m old-fashioned and too pollyanna for this cynical age in which we live, but my time – and 99.5% of this site – is devoted to stuff that I do like. Life is too short to be spent in any other way, and in any case, I’m keenly aware that my opinion on these things has little influence beyond the tip of my own nose. There are far more important things in life to get genuinely worked up over.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It seems the “drama of the week” with the anti-Star Trek crowd is that CBS hasn’t given them the order for the 3rd season yet. Even though they just finished filming the second season, and had only aired 2 episodes at that point. So everybody’s stating that the show was cancelled. It would be a shame that Star Trek fans killed Star Trek out of spite for their perceived alterations of Trek canon. And yet, with all the time travel shenanigans that have taken place across all the varied Star Trek shows, they still think there’s a set notion of canon rather than a million fractured timelines which would be the reality of the situation.

The other thing is that they’re bringing up the announcement that the Picard series will be a limited series or mini-series. It’s the first time anti-Trek people have heard about it, so CBS All Access must be doing so poorly that they can’t mount a full series. No, the reality of the situation is that Patrick Stewart is an extremely old man who probably doesn’t want to do 24 episodes a season any more. Doing a short amount of episodes a year would be the easiest for somebody of his age. That’s obvious to anyone except the nay-sayers. And for the record, they said early on that it would be a limited series, so obviously they weren’t paying attention.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

CBS has given them the order for the third season. [LINK]

The SVOD platform has handed out a third-season renewal for the cornerstone of its rapidly growing Star Trek franchise. Additionally, Discovery writer Michelle Paradise — who joined the series in season two — has been promoted to serve as co-showrunner for season three. She will continue to work alongside franchise captain Alex Kurtzman on the series.

A return date for the third season was not announced. The renewal arrives as the drama returned Jan. 20 for its sophomore run after nearly a year off the air as Kurtzman charts a careful course with the series following multiple delays in getting the drama off the ground ahead of its first season.
    “Michelle joined us midway through season two and energized the room with her ferocious knowledge of Trek,” Kurtzman said Wednesday in a statement. “Her grasp of character and story detail, her drive and her focus have already become essential in ensuring the Trek legacy, and her fresh perspective always keeps us looking forward. I’m proud to say Michelle and I are officially running Star Trek: Discovery together.”

Also, the article goes on to state that the Nickelodeon series and the Starfleet Academy series are not the same thing after all.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

And we have our first Talosian sighting in the preview for next week’s episode!

And… what the heck is up with Airiam? It’s looking like something may have co-opted her in this episode, but then there was also the really weird shot of her face taking up half the screen in last week’s episode – like they were really going out of their way to lampshade her (augmented/artificial/robotic?) nature in an episode she was barely in, just to set something else up.

Going back to last week’s episode…that’s a really neat new ability Saru has. I hope we never see it again. In a way it makes him too powerful. Hopefully that’s just something triggered by proximity to an adversary that has evolved alongside his own species, and not something that’ll happen every time he’s threatened. Also, I thought the effect looked really cheesy, which is kind of an unusual complaint in this day and age, but one that I stand by. It just didn’t look right or real – it looked like something mechanical, not organic.

I wonder how Airiam would look with those wobbly googly eyes you get at an arts & crafts store…
    Airiam with googly eyes
    …perfect. Nailed it.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I think we are meant to guess that Airiam might be the Red Angel, but I bet that’s just a red herring. I’m guessing the Red Angel is really Isabella from Imaginary Friend. Fight me!

Also, I hope we Saru’s neck teeth every episode and they keep mutating at a batshit insane rate every time. And hopefully they accompany those scenes with a majestically bitchin’ metal guitar riff.

Finally, I hope the tardigrade DNA in Stamets allows him to break the fourth wall and address the audience at home directly. He could shrug his shoulders with a resigned smirk and say “¡Ay, dios mio!” That could be his catch phrase!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’d like to have the Red Angel take off its helmet and reveal it to be Captain Sisko. He’ll say something along the lines of “I can’t explain it all… it’s not linear” and vanish.

Maybe the Red Angel will take off its helmet and we’ll discover it’s Charles Tucker the Third, a.k.a. Trip from Enterprise. It would be stupid but at least it’d retcon the insanely dumb-ass writing on the final episode of Enterprise, killing Trip for no other reason than artificially inflating the historical stakes (which failed spectacularly). He’ll be working with some branch of the Time Agents to keep this endlessly derailing timeline back on track.

I’m glad that they’re doing something with Airiam, maybe we’ll finally find out what exactly she is. Is she a human who was so badly damaged she has to have an artificial exterior? Does she have some cybernetic pieces? Or is she a full-on Terminator, waiting to go nuts? I assume it’ll be the latter, since the three red dots that were flashing in her eyes remind me of a plot thread in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles where Sarah was obsessed with that kind of pattern for some reason I can’t recall.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

SPOILER ALERT:
    It was Neelix all along!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.