Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 125 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

For my day off, I bought a Rick & Morty Portal Gun at Movie Trading Company (Vintage Stock), watched two cops tackle a criminal and cuff him literally feet from where I sat eating a cheeseburger in a restaurant, and bought the Official Collector’s Edition hardback book of Star Trek: Discovery. It’s a little more scant than I would have thought. It’s fairly smallish. I would have liked to have, for example, lots of ship designs shown since we didn’t get the chance to see them properly at the Battle of the Binary Stars. Oh well, it was an impulse buy after all.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Wow. Dinner and a show!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I hope at some point in the future there’s a publication that shows all the Trek ships used in Discovery that you can barely see on the show. They’re either too small or shown too quickly and in near darkness for us to get a good look at. I like these kinds of things. Although I expect a lot of them will look as bad as those FASA designs from the ’80s.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Eaglemoss

Tonight’s episode:
    GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Lorca revelation: I had a feeling this was what was up. Where’s “our” Lorca? Is he a great dude? Is he dead? Remember that Admiral Cornwell apparently knew him pretty well (wink wink, nudge nudge), so there was a Lorca there at some point.

Tyler revelation: Looks like L’Rell’s giving up on “re-Voq-ing” his human identity. Is this guy ever going to be a whole person again?

Culber revelation: …the hell? That’s it?

I’m really surprised that this particular story-arc-let is taking as long to play out as it is. I’m hoping the resolution to the Klingon war doesn’t seem ridiculously rushed – there are only three episodes left in the season.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yuck… Captain Shran deserved so much better than that ugly heap of rust getting named after him. I still love the Sheppard Class, it’s like a sporty hot-rod version of an NX series.

The revelation that humans from the Mirror Universe are sensitive to bright lights is the difference between the species? Really, that’s what you’re going with? It couldn’t be that Lorca and Georgiou might have been caught up in some kind of accident that made them both light sensitive, instead there’s a blanket statement that all evil universe people don’t like light? Again, really? That seems a bit stupid.

So how exactly did Mirror universe Lorca get over to our universe? And why would he put together such an insanely elaborate plan to assassinate the Emperor and take over? His plan necessitated going into another universe for eight months while his allies moved into position? I wonder how much of this Bryan Fuller had scripted out and how much was drastically altered after he left the show.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I think it’s hilariously appropriate that the Hoover class looks like a warp-powered Roomba.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I thought Saru was very good in this one.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

He was, in fact, delicious.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I want to posit a theory that we probably won’t find out the truth about for a long time. I think the reason why it took so long to get Discovery going was that CBS and Paramount were fighting over Star Trek. CBS owns the TV rights, Paramount owns the movie rights but can’t legally use any visual aspects of the TV shows (hence Klingons looking different along with their ships, et cetera). I’m guessing that Paramount got snippy when a new Trek was going to start up. They want a piece of the pie, since they’ve been propping up Star Trek’s cultural legacy for years on the big screen. So to get the show finally into production and avoid getting sued by the co-owners of the IP, CBS was forced to license Star Trek from Paramount (which is something we’ve heard before) which also comes with Paramount’s legal baggage stating that they can’t use classic TV designs, be they ships, uniforms, or aliens. Hence the horrible starship designs of ships like the Shran. I also cite the quick appearance of the original USS Defiant, or at least its wireframe, on a computer screen. It had been altered to not resemble the original TV design of a Constitution-class starship.

I’ve been really enjoying the series so far, it seems to get better as the season goes on. They telegraph some plot twists too strongly, but there’s still that sense of “what are they going to do next?” at the end of every episode. It doesn’t bother me that they’ve abandoned the ‘glass beads and meaningless buttons’ look of the Cage-era Trek bridge layout and given it a visual reboot. I just wish they’d done a little better with the ship designs – I’d take the FASA Klingon ships over the ridiculously ornate, cathedral-like designs the Klingons are flitting about in now.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Man, that cliffhanger was a real tear-jerker.

Shuttle-ty

There’s a lot of “whoa, the war ended way too quickly!” going around, and it reminds me almost exactly of the same argument about the abrupt end of the Shadow War in Babylon 5 some 20 years ago. “The war wouldn’t end that quickly!”…you know, unless, of course, it does, or maybe the writers are depending on the audience to connect the dots and intuit that other things happened that are not shown.

You didn’t have to be present for the Japanese foreign minister to sign the surrender bringing WWII to a close to know that WWII had ended.

The war is the backdrop that set Michael Burnham’s story in motion. Michael Burnham was the story, the war was not the story. The story was Michael Burnham deciding who she really was, and in the end Starfleet/the Federation having to make the same choices (basically Michael’s choices writ large). The war, as a backdrop, allowed all of this to be on the table for storytelling purposes. Even the Voq/Ash Tyler dichotomy is another way of asking “who are you, really?”. And of course the Mirror Universe arc did that too. That was what this first season about, that question, and how Burnham answered it both for herself and for the world she wanted to be a part of. If Starfleet wasn’t going to live up to its own ideals, why would she bother with trying to do right by Starfleet?

I was really satisfied with the first season as a whole. Part of me feels like maybe we should’ve spent one less week in the mirror universe and gotten back to our native timeline with more than just two episodes to spare, but again, I see why they did what they did with that element of the story.

As for the ending and the appearance of the Enterprise? We’ll see where that goes. Get Bruce Greenwood in for Captain Pike and we’ll talk.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Further thoughts now that I’ve brought up the subject of Babylon 5:

• Humans inadvertently kill alien leader, starting a war:
      T’Kuvma (Discovery), Dukhat (B5)
    • New captain has Something Big To Hide:
      Lorca (Discovery), Sheridan (B5)
    • Sleeper agent conditioned by the enemy to infiltrate humans; is left to fight his own way clear of conditioning:
      Ash/Voq (Discovery), Garibaldi (B5)
    • Earth on bring of being conquered when alien forces suddenly retreat:
      Federation/Klingon War (Discovery), Earth/Minbari War (B5)

There are other comparisons that aren’t right on the tip of my tongue, but… those are some biggies. I wonder if the writers may have subconsciously absorbed B5 from having watched it many years ago, and did some subconscious recycling of material?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I just happen to be in the middle of a re-listen (if you recall, I like to convert TV series to mp3 and listen to them in my car) of B5, so right now I’ve got B5 on the brain. At the end of the first season just now (and I realize that it’s really, really good; it gets ripped on by a lot of people for some reason). When the (Klingon) war ended suddenly, I immediately thought of the middle of the 4th season of B5, so we’re on the same wavelength. I listened to the latest Mission Log Live episode and I appreciated your astute comments comparing Discovery to Babylon 5.

I was watching the season finale with my brother and when Clint Howard came onscreen, we were practically yelling “NO WAY!”. Just awesome.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If you go back and watch carefully, he’s got a big punch bowl of tranya sitting on the table in front of him. (No, I’m not kidding.)

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

And let’s dump the showrunners again…though possibly this time for very, very good reason. [LINK]

Out are showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, who originally took over the role at the helm of the drama from Bryan Fuller. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman, who has guided the franchise (and a few of its feature films), will take over as showrunner on season two. As part of the change, Kurtzman will now also oversee the Discovery writers’ room for season two.

Sources say the budget for the season two premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from Discovery’s sophomore run. Insiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with the latter said to have leaned across the writers’ room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show’s staff. Multiple writers are said to have been uncomfortable working on the series and had threatened to file a complaint with human resources or quit the series altogether before informing Kurtzman of the issues surrounding Berg and Harberts. After hearing rumors of HR complaints, Harberts is said to have threatened the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.

Can you imagine Michael Piller or Jeri Taylor ever doing something like that? Or even Gene himself, who may have had myriad character flaws, but I’ve never heard of him having done anything like this.

Anyone who thinks that’s how you manage any group of people, creative or otherwise, is a damn fool and deserves to be out of a job. Full stop.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Shaking My Head…

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.