Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 125 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Just want to say that I pretty much love this series now. I got to the point where I was really looking forward to each weekly episode. I excitedly await the second half of the season in January. Really love the character development. I very much love how the ship jumps from one point to the next; we’ve never seen a starship move like that before. I still think that if you changed a few of the names, you could simply say this occurs 100 years after Voyager and it would make total sense. I’m still going with that it’s simply set in a different quantum reality than what we’ve previously seen.

Can’t wait for this to start back up in January.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’m in the same boat with you – I’m really digging it and I totally see the Star Trek DNA in it.

But my previous question stands: WTF, Lorca!?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I also really love the Mission Log Live episodes with Ken and John that air two days afterward. There’s this one really crazy guy that keeps calling in from Arkansas. He’s more entertaining than a rooster on crack.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Weird thing – I keep telling Brandon (their backline producer who lines up the incoming calls etc.) to put me at the back because I’ve been on before; give other people a chance. Somewhere between him, John and Ken, I keep getting pulled back up to the front. It’s like I can’t not show up. With that in mind, I’ve gotten a bit self-conscious about making sure I’ve got something really worth discussing before I even plug the camera in and get in the queue, otherwise I’ll sit out that week. It’s not the Earl Show.

I loved the guy who called in from a room full of pinball machines. Dude, I’ll be right over.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I’ve never watched the video version. I always download the audio version and listen to it in my car. If there’s cool stuff to see, unfortunately I can’t see it. I do remember John mentioning the pinball stuff.

Man, I can’t wait to see this show again in January. It’s not perfect — there are a few minor flaws — but on the whole I just love it.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by k8track k8track.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by k8track k8track.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The video versions are archived at the roddenberryprod channel on Youtube. As if anyone needs to see my pulsating face. 😆

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Okay, so the season started up again last night. I’ll try to avoid blatant spoilers, but…

Holy neck twist – why’d they have to kill that character? You’d think he could have been Seriously Wounded or otherwise incapacitated, especially since everyone’s biosigns are evidently monitored at all times. Seems like killing him would literally set off some serious red flags. Weirder still, the producers have taken to Twitter to reassure us that this character is “not 100% dead”.

Holy plot twist that wasn’t – a long-running fan theory about the character who did the killing seems to have been proven true, and it kind of annoys me. Not so much that it’s not a valid plot twist, but just that it’s the worst kept Trek secret since “they’re going to kill Spock in Star Trek II!”

Holy change of command – what the heck-hell-heck? They can stop making Star Trek now. It’s just not going to get better than Captain Tilly.

Holy fanboy rage – okay…okay. So they mentioned the Valiant, the Constitution class ship that went back in time to the 22nd century and gave the Terran Empire its decisive edge (The Tholian Web, In A Mirror Darkly). And they showed a diagram that doesn’t follow the lines of the Constitution class as it should be in Discovery’s timeline, if indeed the show is in the “prime timeline”. Here’s the thing: that ship went back almost 100 years, immediately went into battle, and has been in who knows how many battles since? It has probably required major repairs and rebuilds in that century, especially with newer boats like the Discovery waiting in the wings. So it may not look like Kirk’s Enterprise. But holy hell, Twitter techies (and by that I mean: the heirs of James Dixon from the Fidonet echo days) are. not. letting. this. go. Especially if they’ve already decided they hate Discovery (why are they still watching then?) and this gives them something to complain about (seriously…why not do something that makes you happy instead?).

Any other thoughts? “Let’s not keep these assholes waiting!” 😆

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

So you know how I’m fond of referring to one of my favorite episodes, Parallels, and cite it as sort of the Rosetta Stone of the Star Trek multiverse. I love, love, LOVE that there was a direct callback to that in this episode.

I was shocked and very upset at the death of the character you mentioned. I really liked him.

Also, you said Valiant, but pretty sure you meant Defiant.

I’m so hoping that the emperor will turn out to be Georgiou.

I love this show more and more with each new episode. Frakes really knocked it out of the park. At this point, no one’s got more Trek experience than him. AND he also directed an episode of The Orville.

Oh man, those agony booths, holy crap.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

It’s very interesting that Lorca said he hoped this universe contained a better version of him. Better? Better at what? A better person or better at being a borderline amoral sociopath? (Am I actually talking about a non-guest-star-of-the-week Star Trek captain like that?)

A certain Mr. Chekov had already demonstrated that the agony booths aren’t a lot of fun some time back.

If mirror-Georgiou is the Emperor, I wonder if this means she’s a direct descendant of Hoshi Sato?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I think Georgiou will the the Emperor. The actress (who’s name has suddenly shot right out of my head) was still up in Toronto when they’d filmed the last episodes of the season, she was on a live feed along with a couple of others while other cast members were in studio on an episode of After Trek, if I remember correctly. By the way, I find that show to be unwatchable.

I’d like it if, in the next season, we can get back to exploration. And I’d really like to see more of the bridge crew, get some personalities established. Why sit in a makeup chair for hours so you can look like a cool robot lady but only have a few lines per season? I want some characters fleshed out a bit more.

And the poor Doctor. Got his neck snapped in an obvious attempt to create the feeling that no character is safe. The writers and actor took to Twitter afterwards (once fans got upset) and told them that the character would be coming back “in some way”. Which makes me think we’ll see him in the Mirror Universe. Not exactly what the character deserved.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Just saw the latest episode (The Wolf Inside). Holy crap, just amazing. This show just keeps getting better and upping the stakes. I absolutely love the look on Michael’s face at the very end of the episode… you can really see she’s been pushed to the psychological brink. I like that they are exploring how this universe takes a real toll on the characters.

Also I just noticed a really obscure Next-Gen link in the end credits (i.e. a Next Gen actor in Discovery)! Anyone else see it?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I like the idea that this season is essentially two story arcs broken up by a mid-season pause. The story arcs don’t need to be huge or anything, just six or seven episodes tied together. I hope they keep this concept going into future seasons.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Mirror Stamets’ presence, and his buddying up with Regular Stamets, makes me nervous. “Our” Stamets was already occasionally an ill-tempered little bastard, and at other times quite sensitive. I shudder to think what extremes Mirror Stamets has.

It never occurred to me that anyone would blame Stamets for Culber’s death. Holy crap. How can anyone even think that? I guess there are no surveillance cameras in sick bay that they can DVR back through and see what really happened.

Are you talking about the voice of the Shenzhou computer, played by the actress who was the Vulcan girl competing against Wesley for admission into Starfleet Academy in season 1? She’s been doing the Shenzhou voice since the first episode.

This is how Mirror Universe episodes should’ve been all along. I really think the closest we got before this was watching McCoy in the original Mirror, Mirror. Everything since that has been wacky/sexualized/over-the-top alter egos (looking at you, Mirror Kira and Mirror Hoshi), with the non-Mirror characters always just stressing out about getting home, and nothing else. Michael has had to kill people she knows here, and not via transporter or phaser, but by running the Shenzhou’s “captain” through with a knife. She can’t undo it and she can’t unsee it, it should bother her this much. None of this “Hey, I blew up Mirror Odo and slept with Mirror Dax, no problem!” jazz. (Sorry – I love DS9 for the most part, but I’d be happy to completely excise their Mirror episodes completely, they’re that silly and non-essential. Enterprise’s Mirror episodes were much the same, though with the eye candy of the classic bridge set, pieces of which were on loan from James Cawley of Star Trek New Voyages fame.)

There was a lot of fan speculation about what was up with Tyler, and who the emperor would be. I found both revelations…I dunno, a bit predictable and obvious as a result? And yet the guy playing Tyler really nailed it to the wall the past couple of episodes. The cast on this series is just fantastic, and so is the writing. Lorca is a rat’s ass bastard and yet I’m worried about his well being.

One thing Discovery is really, really bad about? Helping me lower my blood pressure.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Earl, yes, that is the connection I was referencing. I noticed Tasia Valenza’s name in the credits and said, holy crap, it’s T’Shanik from Coming of Age! After looking it up to confirm, I realized that she was the voice of the computer in the first few episodes as well; I just hadn’t noticed before. I love obscure connections like that. I knew you wouldn’t let it slip past you.

Agreed 100 percent about the DS9 mirror episodes. They really vamped and camped it up. So I was super skeptical when Discovery was going there. I thought, Gawd no. So I’ve been pleasantly surprised and love how they are handling it.

I think it’s fairly obvious from all the hints that Lorca (the cuddly one we’ve all come to love) probably originates from the mirror universe. If not, then I would be surprised.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

One of the problems with Discovery is that its mysteries are too easy to guess – Ash Tyler is Voq, the Emperor is Georgiou, et cetera. They telegraph them too hard, so it’s not shocking when the truth is revealed.

Everybody thinks Lorca is a mirror universe version of himself. I’m hoping that’s not the case. I keep hanging on what he said in his ready room once they crossed over, “I was hoping I’d find a better version of me here”. I think he chickened out and escaped his old ship, the Buran, destroyed it, and now PTSD and survivor’s guilt are unraveling his psyche. He knows he’s a piece of crap for what he did, and he’s waiting for it to catch up with him.

That doesn’t explain a lot of other things, like why he manually changed coordinates right before the jump into the mirror universe as if he knew what would happen. Or why he carried around a phaser in his pajama pants and pulled one out on the Admiral after their night together. If he’s a mirror universe version of himself, casual assassinations seem to be the norm and you’d always have to live in a constant state of paranoia knowing somebody wanted to kill you to advance themselves.

So, why doesn’t Burnham just tell the Emperor that she’s not her universe’s Michael? Just tell the Emperor to scan her for her quantum signature. Let her know that if she helps them she can get her universe’s Discovery back. Not much point in deception by then.

If Stamets meets his mirror counterpart in the Mycellial network, wouldn’t that mean his doppelganger is in the same shape as our Stamets, brain melting down and incoherent, strapped to a medical table? And so the two versions will have to work together to figure out how to return to their own universes? That might be fun to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.