Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 22nd / 23rd Century Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 88 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  k8track 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author

k8track
    Participant

Ubik, I’m with you 100 percent on the “streaming vs. one’s own library” issue. I don’t see the point in paying for streaming something that you can only watch at the whim of whomever is hosting it. I want something permanent, not ephemeral. I am always seeing people lamenting the loss of stuff from Netflix, and I just can’t comprehend it. If you have your own physical copies (or files stored on an external HD), it’s not an issue. It’s yours for as long as you have it. I don’t and never have understood the appeal of Netflix or any other streaming service.

k8track
    Participant

Oh, and that goes double for youtube. Any time I see a video on youtube that I like, I immediately download it, because chances are it WILL be gone soon. Videos disappear from that site quicker than Jimmy Hoffa. I have entire playlists that I had made years ago where ALL the videos have since been deleted. Youtube is about as permanent as Fabergé egg in a hypergravometric maelstrom.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

You guys are walking right into the territory that made me decide to dedicate an entire PC full of big hard drives to being a media server.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I have a 24TB RAID at home I plan to use to store DVD and Blu-Ray images. However, if I ever do copy all my video disks over to the RAID, I’ll still keep the discs. A couple reasons for this: Although I’ll be using the RAID to watch shows (for the most part), I still consider it a backup and I’ll still need the originals. I’ll also need the originals for legal reasons to prove that the RAID is indeed a backup. Finally, I’m not interested in scanning the artwork; I’d rather look at the real thing than a poor copy displayed on my monitor.

Even then, I’m still vulnerable to catastrophic loss. I’ll need to make a backup of the RAID and store the backup away from my house: either at a friends house or in my safety deposit box. That was the whole advantage of streaming: my house could take a dive into a sinkhole and I could still watch my movie collection. But, since NetFlix, Hulu and YouTube failed me, I’ll have to invent my own system.

Anyway, anyone taking bets on how long before CBS offers the show outside their little streaming service (DVD, NetFlix, etc.)?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Yes, but the hypothetical RAID backup, even when stored offsite, is still on a planet that is near-helpless to protect itself from asteroid strikes.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Well, there are different levels of disaster recovery. Protection of data from loss of home is fairly cheap to accomplish. Protection of data from loss of the planet Earth? Not so cost effective.

k8track
    Participant

Still, the universe would lament the loss of Dr. Giggles, should Earth bite it.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

My configuration for my NAS is eight 5TB drives in a RAIDZ2 configuration. This gives me an effective 27TB of storage, and up to two drives can fail before I start panicking. As for backups… I have several of the shares backed up to several USB hard drives using FreeFileSync.

I have only ripped I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, Chouriki Sentai Ohranger, and Gekisou Sentai Carranger to the Plex share. Am I planning on ripping any more series? Probably not. In my use case, I’m not even keeping up with the series I have. I have also purchased Zyuranger, Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Denji Sentai Megaranger, and Garo (Season One) even though I have the fan-subbed versions just for the legal part. But, I use Plex mostly for the music.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t see the point in paying for streaming something that you can only watch at the whim of whomever is hosting it. I want something permanent, not ephemeral.

For example, the series Other Space. A sci-fi comedy by the creator of Freaks & Geeks, that originally was made for Yahoo’s streaming service that they pulled the plug on not long after the show’s 8 episode run. I don’t know if any other streaming service cut a deal to rerun it someplace else, I just know the only way to see it now is through piracy. And it’s a shame, it was a pretty funny, odd little show. With Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu as notable cast members, it was an entertaining little program which sadly we’ll never get any more of. Too bad so few people have seen it.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

If we’re lucky there will be a DVD release of the show. Perhaps a print-on-demand version offered by Amazon. I’m dreaming, of course, because Yahoo won’t want to throw more money at something they deemed a total disaster. Of course, they would have missed the point because it wasn’t the show that was a disaster, it was their lame attempt to set up a streaming service.

k8track
    Participant

“Georgiou was a good captain.” –Burnham

“Georgiou was a good captain.” –Voq

Discuss.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  k8track.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  k8track.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Starfleet Captains taste like chicken.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I really didn’t like that bit. First off, I didn’t think Klingons could process cooked food, it had to be raw. They were happily barbecuing some kind of tentacle/chicken monster near the end. Besides, they’ve eaten hearts of their enemies before but not the bodies. Sure, they’re essentially starving slowly, but still. It seems incredibly out of character for them. Plus, it’s pretty horrible to find out that a captain we got attached to for a couple episodes was cannibalized.

k8track
    Participant

I’ve come to accept Discovery and have actually even warmed up to it; I’d say I’m pretty much on board. I started to like it with episode 3 (Context is for Kings). I’m not the least bit concerned about how it fits in with “continuity.” Clearly it’s not even remotely in the same timeline as the original series. I’m totally, completely fine with that. Remember the 7th season episode of TNG, Parallels? (Thank you Ken and John for bringing that back to the forefront of my conscious, BTW.) It was a fun, throwaway episode. And yet it wasn’t. To me, as I’ve said before, it’s the linchpin, the Rosetta Stone that binds all of Star Trek together. It revealed that there are an infinite number of quantum realities. So Star Trek Discovery is simply set in a different quantum reality than what we’ve seen (the “prime”, “mirror”, and “Kelvin” realities). The “prime” reality is really nothing special; it’s just one of an infinite number. So now we’re focusing on a different one, with macro-tardigrades, Super Mario mushroom-powered warp drives, and fanatically religious cannibalistic Geri Jewell Klingons. As long as the writing, production, and acting are all engaging (and so far it all is), it’s all good.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed