Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 22nd / 23rd Century Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 95 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
  • Author

Just announced: James Frain appears as a slightly younger Ambassador Sarek.

Frain was in Tron Legacy as the permanently-face-shielded Jarvis, Clu’s ever-present lieutenant. Looking at his IMDb headshot… I can actually sorta see him as Sarek. Where the rubber meets the road will be in whether or not he can hit anything like Mark Lenard’s gravelly, long-suffering voice.

I’m hoping this particular prequel is more Rogue One than Phantom Menace.

Well…[CENSORED]. [LINK]

Discovery will start filming in Toronto next week. However — and this is the other significant development — the series is no longer going to premiere in May as previously announced. This is the second time the show’s debut date has changed. But while certain creative and production issues were a factor when Discovery was originally pushed from February to May, we’re hearing lately the drama is on track under new showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts.

This switch has a few reasons behind it, a key one is that recently cast star Sonequa Martin-Green is on AMC’s mega-hit The Walking Dead, which is airing its current season through April. There’s a concern about marketplace confusion if CBS were to ramp up promoting her as the star of a new sci-fi show while her horror hit is currently on the air. The other reason is there’s still a lot of careful deliberation continuing to go into making Discovery special, from the choice of directors, to set design, to the special effects. While May would have been a strong premiere month for the project since Discovery will launch on the CBS broadcast network before moving to the streaming service (May is a ratings surge month), given that Discovery will normally live on All-Access there’s no pressure to fill a specific time slot.

Reached for comment, CBS Television Studios issued this statement: “Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week. We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created. This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show. We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.”

So when will Discovery leave spacedock? That’s unclear at this time. Next fall might be reasonable assumption given that’s when CBS’ promotional power will next peak, but there are a lot of factors at play that could potentially result in some other date instead.

You know what would’ve been a dandy premiere date for it before all of this schedule slippage? How about this Saturday, one day into four years of uncertainty* where we’re going to need a Roddenberry message on TV like we haven’t needed it since 1968?

I’m also reminded uneasily of Star Trek: Phase II, the never-made 1970s “fourth season” of TOS that eventually morphed into The Motion Picture. Keep in mind, Phase II already had its cast locked into contracts and had scripts both completed and in the pipeline as well…just like Discovery.

* I’m trying to be as charitable as possible here

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Honestly, I’d rather have them take a little bit more time to iron out all the wrinkles than have a sloppy production that might tarnish Trek’s weatherbeaten reputation any more than it already is.

I keep wondering if they’re going to go back on the CBS All Access deal and decide to air it on regular TV. All I hear from people is that they’re refusing to sign up for All Access for one single show, since CBS doesn’t really produce anything else worth watching for them. It’ll play on Netflix everyplace else in the world, but in the US I’m predicting it’ll be pirated like crazy. I’m thinking maybe 20% at most will watch it on their service. I personally don’t want to pay $9.99 for a commercial-free version of the show each month. I don’t know anything else on CBS that I want to see, since I gave up on watching TV nearly a decade ago and what little I see now is either from iTunes or… acquired.. online. I signed up for Amazon Prime, looked at their streaming shows, and gave up on it since it was all stuff I would just flip past if I were watching regular television.

I wish they’d give us a little bit more information about the show at least. Some production designs, a selection of various uniforms they’re considering, the redesign of the incredibly unpopular ship. Give us something to whet our appetites.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Finally, they’re released some small amount of information about the show. At least they’ve entered into production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QHrNdgX4U

So, what do you think? They still have the old pictures of the Discovery pinned up to a wall, and a 3D wireframe model of a ship (possibly the Shenzou) that has an interesting look, a bit of the Reliant mixed with the saucer of the NX-01 and weirdly shapely warp nacelles. A bit like an update to the Centaur design (which was a slapdash kitbash, a phrase I need to use more often).

The uniforms, from what little we see of them, look interesting. Not like the oversized velour turtleneck sweaters they wore in the original Trek pilot. Will they also have those weird little computer monitors on flexible desk lamp necks all over the bridge like in the original pilot too? And clear phasers.

More casting about [LINK]…

Sam Vartholomeos has landed the role of Ensign Connor, a Junior Officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the starship Shenzhou. His credits include The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Following.

Maulik Pancholy is on board as Dr. Nambue, the Chief Medical Officer of the starship Shenzhou. Pancholy’s credits include Weeds, Hitch, 30 Rock, Phineas & Ferb, The Good Wife and Sanjay and Craig.

Terry Serpico will play Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking Starfleet official. Serpico’s films and television credits include 100 Centre Street, The Departed, Army Wives, Rescue Me, Sneaky Pete, Elementary and The Purge: Election Year.

Um…you know, I’m still wondering if we will ever see this show actually hit the air. Or the interwebs. [LINK]

Whatever else CBS has done with Star Trek in the last couple of years, they’ve managed to turn Discovery into a joke. In the comments here on io9, in conversations with other fans, and in conversations with my coworkers, the most said phrase is, “We are never going to see that show.” It’s like a myth: we’ve all heard about it and have been told it’s wonderful, but no one has any actual proof it exists.

And even if it’s good, who is going to see it? CBS has burned through so much good will at this point that they’ve done the impossible and managed to make Star Trek fans unenthusiastic. The recent story about how little they offered The Next Generation’s Michael Dorn to play Worf’s ancestor is not helping, either. It’s hard to imagine Trek fans paying for All Access to see the show—not with the way CBS rushed the show into production, lost a showrunner because of it, and then still delayed it over and over again.

I want it to be good. We both deserve and need Star Trek right now. The world is horrifying. Genre television is taking over, but is bleak as hell. Star Trek, with its constant affirmations that human beings can get through the worst and overcome our baser instincts, belongs on TV right now. But, at this point, the show is going to have to be iconic in its own right to clear all the hurdles CBS has needlessly shoved in its path. If Discovery goes badly, there’s only one entity to blame: CBS.

What was the Dorn story? Glad you asked. I didn’t know this either: he was apparently asked to play an ancestor of Worf. [LINK]

It’s a little disconcerting that CBS and Paramount would reportedly offer Dorn, one of the most iconic actors in the entire series, 0.65 percent of what he’d previously made on Star Trek (seriously). That would suggest they either don’t value the original characters enough to make it worth the actors’ while, or the pockets on this thing are way too shallow to turn out something solid. Given all the other crazy updates and rumors surrounding this production, it’s cause for even more concern.

You know, if they’d just instead said “Hey, we’re going to make Star Trek Continues official and make it part of CBS All Access!”, this thing would be a roaring success. Instead…I’m still getting that 1970s revival vaporware vibe off of this.

k8track
    Participant

R.I.P. Star Trek Phase III?

I’m trying to be optimistic. I’m one of those crazy folks who feels that we need a Star Trek on TV right now, like we haven’t needed one in years. It’s a unique property in its built-in inclusiveness and optimism.

I understand it’s also uniquely difficult to do because there’s a huge amount of history that has to be acknowledged and utilized, or its own built-in fandom will tear it apart very noisily.

I want the show to succeed. I’m just not sure that network suits who wouldn’t blink over chasing someone like Bryan Fuller off are network suits who could possibly understand any of the above.

At the end of the day, I’d rather Star Trek was allowed to lie fallow, and let the fans make their own shows out of it, than for it to arrive in a form that just flat out sucks.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have never thought that the show would not make it out. It will see the light of day. All the multiple Netflix contracts for most countries across the planet have paid for the show already, and they’ve already got at least a couple episodes in the can from the scuttlebutt. I just think the fans will rail against it, whenever it does come out. It sounds like they’re trying a soft reboot, and drastically updating the pre-TOS technology and designs (in the 1960s having a computer take up three decks seemed like an amazing thing, now it sounds antiquated since technology has changed so amazingly since then). Once the show comes out there will be a percentage wailing and whining about yet another prequel to TOS, another percentage nitpicking it to death every episode, and another complaining about continuity gaffes and how the tech looks wrong for this era. People on the internet live for things like this, to anonymously crap all over something and jump on the negativity train.

Like I said, it’ll come out, we just won’t like it that much. And it probably won’t even get the chance like Enterprise did to make it to four seasons before it gets the axe. I’d bet they give up on it after a couple seasons, tops.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Some gems from the CBS upfront, being live-blogged by Deadline:

CBS Interactive chief Marc DeBevoise follows, pitching the company’s aggressive approach to digital, including ‘Star Trek Discovery’ which, after CBS broadcast premiere, will roll out exclusively on CBS All Access, and which, he announced, has been expanded to 15 episode, also announcing the launch of companion after-show, ‘Talking Trek.’

Ehhhhh…I might tune in if it was hosted by, say, John Champion and Ken Ray. I’ve grown really weary of the “after-show” phenomenon, Talking Dead and others of its ilk. You wind up with a host who usually has no connection to the material, and half an hour of people going “Aaahhhhhh, it hit me right in the feeeeeeels!” But – and I’m going out on a limb here – Star Trek is (or should be) “about something”, where Walking Dead is about plumbing the depths of how horrible human beings can be to one another when the chips are down. Some good might be able to come from a Trek after-show…though that really depends on Discovery itself. Will it be “about” something like TOS and TNG often were?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

‘Star Trek Discovery’ preview clip follows. “We have engaged the Klingons!” etc.

“They’ve shot it already?!” James Corden complains, taking stage wearing the ears and jersey. “I was told I was going to be in ‘Star Trek’. I am perfect. I too come from a remote place where there is almost no human life: 12:30 on CBS.”

“It’s not like ‘Star Trek’ fans are particular in the slightest,” Corden observed. He mocked CBS for “boldly going where only 6 television shows and 13 movies have gone before. What’s next? Reboot ‘MacGyver’? ‘Hawaii Five-O’?

Corden, you guest starred in two episodes of Doctor Who. Don’t start making nerd jokes now.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

First Trailer

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve never watched any of those follow-up shows other than Doctor Who Confidential. I honestly wouldn’t mind if it were in the same vein as that. Maybe half an hour of behind-the-scenes footage and a half hour of talking with various people about the episode. They could get folks like Neil DeGrasse Tyson on. Or Seth Mcfarlane (so he can plug The Orville, probably). There’s a few former Trek actors that might like to be on it. Rihanna turns out to be a huge Trekkie, she did a music video promoting Star Trek Beyond. Get her on there.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From GamesRadar: Here’s why the Klingons look different in Star Trek: Discovery

Of course, it’s all speculation. The look of the Klingons was one of my concern points from the first trailer, but it was a minor one compared to some other stuff.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They look different now because the head of the network (the same guy who cancelled Enterprise, by the way) wants the new show to look the most futuristic out of all the Trek media, even more so than the J.J. movies. So they’ve made a “visual reboot”. Technology has drastically changed since the 1960s, casual viewers would be repulsed if the visuals and technology of the original Trek were kept. So all new designers were brought in and told to forget everything they know about Trek designs and start fresh. And then for some reason they dug through all the old Phase II and The Motion Picture design sketches and adapt those, oddly (I’m guessing Bryan Fuller had a hand in that one, probably the only person on staff that cared about Star Trek in any way – once he was gone they went batguano crazy with the designs).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed