Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 162 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Hey Earl, what would your reaction .gif be if the Red Angel turned out to be… Sybok??

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’d actually be surprisingly okay with it, though something would have to give him Convenient TV Amnesia about it and leave him wandering in the woods by the time of Star Trek V. In a way, it would fit really well – just as Spock isn’t really helped by contact with the Red Angel and seeing the future, if Sybok was the Red Angel and had also seen that future, it wouldn’t do him too many favors in the mental health department. (Remember how T’Pol was when Archer was abducted via time travel, kind of a gibbering wreck repeating the same phrase over and over again? It seems like Vulcans just don’t do well with timey wimey stuff.) Such a mental schism might leave Sybok in Crazy Mode later in life, when we catch up with him again.

But I have a feeling we need to brace ourselves for the more pedestrian option of it being Burnham. For some reason I just feel like that’s where all of this is heading. I hope I’m wrong.

So, preview for next week’s show: if you knock Airiam down, is she Groundiam?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I was thinking Sybok from the future, like after Star Trek V. He “sacrificed” himself at the end of that movie, but maybe he was elevated to a higher form or something, and traveled back in time. I’m thinking it has to be someone personally connected to both Spock and Burnham.

Either way, it really doesn’t matter to me, I’m just along for the ride.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Speculation is that the Red Angel is Burnham, but here’s the thing… She was supposed to die on Vulcan when she ran away from home. She was supposed to get eaten by a wild animal. The Angel led Spock and Sarek to her so she could be rescued. Which would mean… the reason Spock never talked about her was because she died when he was a kid in the original timeline. This new timeline has been tampered with to keep her alive. If the Angel is trying to alter the outcome of their current timeline, she might have to die as a child. That would prevent the Klingon war, right off the bat. There’s speculation that maybe the Borg will overwhelm the Federation and the Angel is trying to strengthen the Alpha Quadrant powers for the upcoming fight, in 500 years time. All the theories people are coming up with are pretty fascinating.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Poring over every single episode of Star Trek ever and every single book and fanzine story in beta canon, I had finally come to the inescapable conclusion that the Red Angel was none other than an amalgamation of Sybok, Isabella from Imaginary Friend, and Korob from Catspaw. After viewing the latest episode, The Red Angel, I was smugly gratified to know that I was spot on. Looks like I won the betting pool, so all of the rest of you owe me a chalupa.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

** SPOILER ALERT **

“Woah! YOU’RE the Red Angel!”

“Yeah, right. More like YOUR MOM is the Red Angel.”

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Your mom goes to college. *snickers smugly*

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Almost missed it – nice momentary view of what the bridge looks like on autopilot during the funeral service.

Otto

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Well, that was legitimately horrifying. Can’t unsee that.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Funny, one of the callers on Mission Log Live this past week was wondering if there might not be potential for a future miniseries following Pike up to the moment of the accident that leaves him as we see him in The Menagerie…yowza. Be careful what you wish for. I figured that the vague mention last week that Pike might not like the future that’s in store for him was as close as they’d get to it, but no, they went there, and in a way that rewrites the DNA of The Menagerie, especially if Spock ever finds out that Pike knew of this fate and accepted it as the price of completing his mission.

I still have a feeling that the Short Trek “Calypso” will be coming back to haunt us, especially with the preview for next week’s showing the Discovery being abandoned. The very advanced AI in that short, along with Discovery’s presence a thousand years in the future, made little sense in the context of the original short, but makes a lot more sense if the ship’s computer somehow mingles with the data from the sphere. They can set Discovery for self-destruct until it’s blue in the face, but the sphere data has already kept itself from being deleted; somewhere at the intersection of the spore drive and the newly acquired time crystal, it’ll keep itself from being blown up as well.

Hey, now that we’ve seen a Klingon go from baby to adult within a single season, Alexander’s growth spurts suddenly seem 4.8% less ridiculous. Guess Worf had some time crystals in bathroom or something. 😆 I wonder at what point the monks on Boreth go from “we guard the time crystals” to “we’re gonna grow our own test tube Jesus Kahless so we can rule the Empire”. Seems like there’s some shady stuff going down there regardless of the century.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I find it interesting how pretty much everyone is enthusiastic for and wishing for a Captain Pike series, while pretty much nobody seems to be terribly enthusiastic about the upcoming Section 31 spinoff. Give the people what they want, dammit!

This whole season I have been watching and waiting to see just how it will tie in with the Calypso short. Hopefully I will get what I have been waiting for.

Would also like to see how/if Runaway ties in to anything at a certain point. It could not have taken place between seasons.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The only reason I hold out any hope for The Section 31 Super Show at all is because the writers of this most recent episode are the minds behind it, and I think we’ve seen their hand all season in the softening of Georgiou, which I predicted much earlier in the season was a pivot they would absolutely have to make in order to make the murderous deposed tyrant of an alternate universe the good guy. I think we can see how this is going to play out: Section 31 is going to have to rebuild from scratch after this season of Discovery, in terms of both ships and personnel. Reformed Georgiou and Ash will be in a position, and of a mind, to rebuild it in a more useful and ethical form, though I’m sure the problem they’ll run into is more hawkish elements wanting to put things back exactly as they were, and Georgiou might feel a yearning for that as well and have to fight back the urge to make things more “Terran”. So right there you have a running internal character conflict to go along with any threats-of-the-week/season, and that’s your show. And…that’s a show I’d watch. That’s a format that has a hell of a lot to say to us, today. At the risk of wading into political waters, which I usually don’t want to do here: even if the whole electoral map flips blue in 2020, the fringe of people who flipped it red for all the wrong reasons in 2016 and have felt emboldened to do/be their worst since then are still there – one still has to try to reason with them. In the same vein, Georgiou will have to try to deal with the elements of the original Section 31 structure that want to double down and go against everything the Federation stands for…and worse yet, she’ll have to avoid the lure of becoming one of them. And right there you have a premise that’s worthy of putting Roddenberry’s name on it.

The pieces seem like they’re being put in place to tell that story, and Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt have really emerged as Discovery’s best writers…so…at the risk of being the devil’s advocate, I’m on board for Section 31.

In the meantime: by embracing the future he now knows the full horror of, is Pike the greatest Starfleet captain of all time? Will anyone ever know the full implications of that except for we, the viewers?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Pike’s the man, yo! *affixes “I Like Pike” button to lapel*

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Did screen grabs and synopses tonight, and… just wanted to give a shout-out to how well they nailed little details from 53 years ago in this episode. Holy crap.

Pike Pike
    Pike Pike

Now, I’m sure the usual Youtubers will be complaining next week that when we finally see the Enterprise bridge, it’s not made of plywood and light bulbs, but I think this is evidence that the folks making the show do give a crap.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Some comments/questions about Mission Log.

1. I feel for Ken and John every time someone keeps asking, “So when is Mission Log returning?” It amazes me how people can’t seem to fathom the sheer amount of labor that goes in to making each episode. It takes a ton of time to watch each episode 3-4 times, take notes, record, then edit and produce each episode every week. I don’t know how they keep from burning out. They deserve a huge, huge break.

2. A few weeks back, I was surprised when I saw that I was suddenly made a “top fan” on their Facebook page. I was happy until I saw that tons of other people, virtually everyone else, had the same status. That made me think that it was probably a glitch or something, and then one day I lost that status, and thought that was probably the case. Just wondering if you knew anything about that? I don’t really care one way or the other. I don’t think I really earned it.

3. Love the poll question this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.