Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery – it’s another prequel

This topic contains 142 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 15 hours, 48 minutes ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Hey Earl, what would your reaction .gif be if the Red Angel turned out to be… Sybok??

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’d actually be surprisingly okay with it, though something would have to give him Convenient TV Amnesia about it and leave him wandering in the woods by the time of Star Trek V. In a way, it would fit really well – just as Spock isn’t really helped by contact with the Red Angel and seeing the future, if Sybok was the Red Angel and had also seen that future, it wouldn’t do him too many favors in the mental health department. (Remember how T’Pol was when Archer was abducted via time travel, kind of a gibbering wreck repeating the same phrase over and over again? It seems like Vulcans just don’t do well with timey wimey stuff.) Such a mental schism might leave Sybok in Crazy Mode later in life, when we catch up with him again.

But I have a feeling we need to brace ourselves for the more pedestrian option of it being Burnham. For some reason I just feel like that’s where all of this is heading. I hope I’m wrong.

So, preview for next week’s show: if you knock Airiam down, is she Groundiam?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I was thinking Sybok from the future, like after Star Trek V. He “sacrificed” himself at the end of that movie, but maybe he was elevated to a higher form or something, and traveled back in time. I’m thinking it has to be someone personally connected to both Spock and Burnham.

Either way, it really doesn’t matter to me, I’m just along for the ride.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Speculation is that the Red Angel is Burnham, but here’s the thing… She was supposed to die on Vulcan when she ran away from home. She was supposed to get eaten by a wild animal. The Angel led Spock and Sarek to her so she could be rescued. Which would mean… the reason Spock never talked about her was because she died when he was a kid in the original timeline. This new timeline has been tampered with to keep her alive. If the Angel is trying to alter the outcome of their current timeline, she might have to die as a child. That would prevent the Klingon war, right off the bat. There’s speculation that maybe the Borg will overwhelm the Federation and the Angel is trying to strengthen the Alpha Quadrant powers for the upcoming fight, in 500 years time. All the theories people are coming up with are pretty fascinating.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Poring over every single episode of Star Trek ever and every single book and fanzine story in beta canon, I had finally come to the inescapable conclusion that the Red Angel was none other than an amalgamation of Sybok, Isabella from Imaginary Friend, and Korob from Catspaw. After viewing the latest episode, The Red Angel, I was smugly gratified to know that I was spot on. Looks like I won the betting pool, so all of the rest of you owe me a chalupa.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

** SPOILER ALERT **

“Woah! YOU’RE the Red Angel!”

“Yeah, right. More like YOUR MOM is the Red Angel.”

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Your mom goes to college. *snickers smugly*

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Almost missed it – nice momentary view of what the bridge looks like on autopilot during the funeral service.

Otto

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.