Star Trek Beyond Trailer

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

He probably did – I can’t imagine there’s more than a dozen of those things in the world.

* goes to find streaming samples of the 10 Cloverfield Lane soundtrack *

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Ok, totally derailing this thread for a tangent on the Blaster Beam.

Last night I was imagining interviewing Craig Huxley and here are some of the questions I would ask him:

Is the Blaster Beam in “10 Cloverfield Lane” the same one used in ST:TMP?

If yes, then I’ll ask about what changes he made to the instrument (other than replacing strings). If no, then I’ll ask him in what way the new instrument is different from the ST:TMP version.

Next I’ll ask him what new techniques and sounds he has introduced to the instrument since TMP. Also, I would like to know if he has interacted with other Blaster Beam artists and perhaps collaborated with them. Has he tutored any prospective Blaster Beam artists? What advice would he give any blaster beam player? What about his collaboration with artists like McCreary? Anything noteworthy about that experience? Who else has he worked with in the field? Finally, I would ask him about the Blaster Beam’s future. Is there any increased interest in the instrument and sound? Any variants of the instrument that might be noteworthy?

Those are all off the top of my head. If I did some more research I’m sure I could come with some more questions about his non-blaster beam career.

Anyway, Earl, if you can find any samples from the 10 Cloverfield Lane soundtrack that feature the Blaster Beam, let me know. I’ve perused the samples on Amazon (although, not comprehensively) and one other site and I haven’t heard that distinctive sound yet. I suspect the Blaster Beam makes a very brief appearance in the soundtrack.

k8track
    Participant

The first trailer put me off completely and quashed any desire I had to see this film. The second one did nothing to win me back, and the incredibly derivative poster is not helping in the least. This may very well be the first Star Trek film I don’t see at all. I have no desire to see “The Fast and the Trekkious”.

I’m also very lukewarm and unenthusiastic for the new TV series; I was hopeful that it would be set in the future, beyond what we’ve covered before, but if the buzz I’ve been hearing turns out to be true, it sounds like it’s set between Star Trek VI and Encounter at Farpoint. I’m not at all happy about that, because 1. it constrains what you can do (you have to be very aware of continuity and stay within the boundaries of what can happen, and limits the sense of unknown exploration) and 2. I wanted something completely new and different. I don’t want to keep retreading familiar ground.

Given what I’ve just said, it may seem ironic that the one upcoming Trek project that I am enthusiastic about is the new episode of Star Trek Continues. It should be out in another week and I’m totally excited about that. Vic Mignogna rules. Any actor with a Ferengi name hidden within his own is OK in my book.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic about this one, since the writers and director left the project and they got Simon Pegg to co-write the script. I respect his geekiness when it comes to sci-fi, and it seems like they’re trying to get away from Earth and go out into the galaxy finally. The first trailer had a “Fast and Furious in space” vibe to it, this latest one seems to have corrected that. I’m hoping they’re going to aim higher than the lowest common denominator like they did with the last couple films. Again, cautiously optimistic with emphasis on cautious.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed