Star Trek Beyond Trailer

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

k8track
    Participant

Saw the trailer for this the other day and it decisively made me not have any desire to see it. I’m not sure who they’re marketing this toward, but it’s not Star Trek fans. I did like the 2009 Star Trek film, but Star Trek Into Darkness turned me around on that, so I was already not too enthusiastic by the time I saw the trailer for the new film. I have no desire whatsoever to see it. I’m far more excited about Axanar and new episodes of Continues and Phase II.

Apathy.

I can’t even work up active dislike, really. It’s more like “Oh…they’re doing another one.”

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I saw the trailer on YouTube, and my first reason was “Huh?”. That was a few days ago, and I’ll be darned if I recall anything beyond Starfleet officers standing in line for some reason. Must have been for unemployment checks.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

@zloth wrote:

Starfleet officers standing in line for some reason. Must have been for unemployment checks.

😆 😆 😆 😆 😕

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I saw the trailer at the Star Wars movie last week. I was mildly interested as they had a hot chick in B&W alien make up.

…and they destroy the Enterprise in this one. :

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@k8track wrote:

I did like the 2009 Star Trek film, but Star Trek Into Darkness turned me around on that…

I can tell you the exact moment when I realized that “Into Darkness” was a classless hack of a movie. No doubt others had the same thoughts when Spock shouted “Khaaaan!”. That scene ripped me completely out of the movie. The veil was lifted from my eyes and I finally saw that the Emperor wasn’t wearing fancy new clothes and that he was completely nekkid and not all that pleasant to look at. I spent the rest of the movie thinking “is it over yet?”

Since then any talk to me of a new Star Trek movie is met with a cold stare and a whispered “meh”.

Only Phantom Menace came close to a moment like that (when Obi-wan said “I have a bad feeling about this”).

k8track
    Participant

I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. I am merely whelmed.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m just hoping they’re destroying the Enterprise so they can rebuild it to look a little better than J.J.’s design. They could do the TOS version, maybe. It’s not all that flashy, but still, they could go for it. Or they could skip ahead and do the Motion Picture version, which is the most beautiful spaceship design ever created, in my opinion.

k8track
    Participant

@k8track wrote:

I’m far more excited about Axanar

Welp, guess not now.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It would be interesting if Paramount gets the notion to sink some money into Axanar themselves, and then craft it into a flashback episode of the new Star Trek show they’re debuting next year. Everybody’s happy.

Surely this is a good sign. 🙄 [LINK]

Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond is coming in a few shorts months, but news just broke of reshoots as well as the addition of a new cast member. Deadline reports Shohreh Aghdashloo (24, The Expanse) has been added to the cast as the High Command of the Federation.

We spoke about the film with Lin several months ago and he sounded very confident about the direction it was going. However, this news suggests something was not working when people finally watched the whole thing together. The good news is, if there was a problem, these reshoots are happening to fix it. In theory, they’ll improve the movie… though it is a bit worry some for a new actress to come onto a project this late. If Aghdashloo’s character is a wholly new addition, it could be anything from a quick fix to something more radical.

Can I just go into cryogenic sleep and you guys wake me when the new TV series starts? This has cinematic train wreck written all over it.

Here’s the new trailer.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I do like that they’ve dug up an old NX-style ship to fly after the Enterprise was kablooeyed. Too bad the bad guy played by Idris Elba has one of the most generic alien makeup designs imaginable. With VR becoming a thing once again, it’d be nice to see an alien with non-humanoid faces – like Hammerhead from the Star Wars cantina scene – that they can put cameras into the eyes and with goggles inside the costume allow the actor to see where he’s going without goofy eye holes in the suit.

And here’s a poster. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Does that mean V’ger is going to make an appearance in this movie? Will the Blaster Beam be featured?

Huh, I was just reading up on the Blaster Beam and it seems that Craig Huxley played the instrument in the soundtrack for “10 Cloverfield Lane”. I wonder if he played the exact same instrument he played on ST:TMP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed