Spinnage-offage

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

In case you couldn’t tell, I’ve squashed all of the spinoff series talk into a single space. Two of the four ongoing spinoffs are extinct (Confidential and Sarah Jane Adventures), I’d be surprised to see more Torchwood at this point, and as for K-9… it’ll be almost this time next year before there’s any more of that, according to what I’ve read. (I think those kids are going to be through with college by the time we see them again.) I’d rather have one forum with some bizarre overlap (two kids’ shows and one show that decidedly isn’t, plus a weekly DVD extra) than two or three empty/nearly-empty ones.

That being said… what’s your take on the spinoffs? Do the spinoffs reflect on the success and health of the parent show? Or does the age spread of the spinoffs simply confuse as to who Doctor Who is intended for?

And which characters/situations do you think could be spun off that haven’t been in audio or visual form?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

We’ve only seen glances of UNIT post-Pertwee era, and apparently their technology has advanced so much that they’ve developed flying aircraft carriers. It would be interesting to see them spun off into a show with a theme that could or could not be unrelated to Doctor Who. Give them a secret war against Earth that they’re dealing with, much like Stargate SG-1, but with a well plotted story arc and without the cheap Canadian production.

Okay, another pitch for a series. It’s a series set in the alternate universe that Rose and her mom are currently stuck in with the human Doctor. This series would be about a Time Lord that was stranded on Earth for years and has a certain fondness for the planet, but roams around the universe dealing with megalomaniacs and mad scientists. The character isn’t the Doctor, it’s the Master. I’ve kind of swiped a few concepts from the Doctor Who Unbound story Sympathy For The Devil. The Master was exiled on Earth at some point in the past without a TARDIS by the Time Lords, and as various aliens invaded Earth he found himself a reluctant protector, just to keep the planet from being blasted out from underneath him. And over time he managed to get a TARDIS from another earthbound Time Lord and travel the universe, ending up enjoying defeating all the threats that came up against him. He’s still fairly evil, but mostly uses it for good. He returns to Earth to check up on it from time to time – the strange technology in that universe, like the blimps and the tech that would make it possible to put a human brain inside a cybernetic shell, were all spurred on by the Master to advance their technology so they could defend themselves better. And Torchwood wasn’t created to track and destroy the Doctor, it was created because of the Master’s meddling in history. It would be interesting to see what kind of travel companions he’d have. The Kaleds developed tank-like shells to hold their bodies in, what if the Thals built humanoid shells for themselves instead and now the last one in the universe travels with the Master, looking for Daleks to kill? There’s so many ways to go crazy with a concept like this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.