Speeder Bikes: the early days

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Collectibles Speeder Bikes: the early days

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Flack 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

If he can ever figure out attitude control and directional control, this Youtube user is onto something. At least until the Ewoks steal it for a joyride.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Just saw that video linked on another site. I wonder if putting a steering system that would tilt the engines in opposite directions would work. Maybe put the front propeller on a joint that the handlebar would be attached to so it could be rotated for turning.

I’ve been wondering when somebody would go and build something like this. And he’s not an engineer, he’s apparently a plumber, so get some real engineers to work more than two weeks on it and build flying bikes. Harley-Davidson should jump on this idea.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

I wonder if putting a steering system that would tilt the engines in opposite directions would work. Maybe put the front propeller on a joint that the handlebar would be attached to so it could be rotated for turning.

You might not need to do that to allow the pilot to turn. You can probably just lean in the right direction to turn like you do with a motorcycle. But then again, a turn mechanism, like the one you mentioned, may be necessary for sharp turns.

That hoverbike reminded me of the hover vehicle the U.S. Army was researching in the early 1960’s: Article.

Subsequent research yielded the hoverjeep:

Looks like a heavy duty version of the hover bike.

Oh, look! A another version of a hover bike: Article. They started with a drone version before getting into a full scale version.

Flack
    Participant

I was nervous the entire time that his tie was going to get caught in the fan blades.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed