Space Pioneer Astronaut Owen Garriott, age 88, passes away

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Sci Minus Fi Human Spaceflight Space Pioneer Astronaut Owen Garriott, age 88, passes away

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From AARL:

Amateur Radio in Space Pioneer Astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK

The US astronaut who pioneered the use of Amateur Radio to make contacts from space — Owen K. Garriott, W5LFL — died April 15 at his home in Huntsville, Alabama. He was 88. Garriott’s ham radio activity ushered in the formal establishment of Amateur Radio in space, first as SAREX — the Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment, and later as ARISS — Amateur Radio on the International Space Station.

“Owen Garriott was a good friend and an incredible astronaut,” fellow astronaut Buzz Aldrin tweeted. “I have a great sadness as I learn of his passing today. Godspeed Owen.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Owen was also the father of Ultima series creator Richard Garriott, co-founded Origin Systems with him, and helped coach Richard for his trip to the ISS as a space tourist. They’re the only father/son astronauts in the U.S. to date. (There’s also only one pair of father/son cosmonauts in Russia.)

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Aha. I should have dug deeper then on the Garriott relationship.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If you get a chance to read Richard’s memoir, “Explore/Create”, I highly recommend it. It goes into quite a bit of detail about a father/son relationship that, while not perfect, I still find myself a bit envious of.

I try to be more like Owen with my kids – pragmatic but accepting of whatever path they choose – than my dad was with me. I’m sure you can relate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.