So much better than a bubblegum card…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Collectibles So much better than a bubblegum card…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

photo trek1_zpsrywps7gz.jpg

I went to a Japanese supermarket that recently opened in Plano, TX called Mitsuwa Marketplace, and they have two different candy sections – one of regular bagged candy, and another for collectible items with bubblegum inside. I ended up buying this there, the Star Trek Into Darkness model of the Enterprise. The back of the box shows the TOS Enterprise, the NX-01, the 1701-D and two versions of the Defiant, one regular and one transparent (I would guess it’s cloaked, I don’t know for sure because it’s all in Japanese). I was kind of thinking it would be more of a blind box kind of thing, with a random ship inside. It turned out to be the one on the front, though. I would rather have the NX-01 or the Defiant. I didn’t see any other ships than the Into Darkness Enterprise. Maybe the next time I’m in the area I’ll drop by again and dig a little bit farther into the shelf, it’s possible that there’s more choices the deeper I search. I only looked three back.

Still, these are so much better than bubblegum cards. I would much rather have a collectible like the Enterprise than a baseball card. It did make me laugh that there was one measly little piece of chewing gum in the box, I would think a minimum of four would be in order. It cost $10.99, toss in a couple more Chiclets, guys.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If the Defiant could’ve cloaked, that really would’ve thrown that whole battle in Khan’s favor…

That’s kinda neat. But yeah, they need to double down on Chiclets. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You mean Reliant…

When I get back home (I’m in Newport, Arkansas at the moment) I think I’ll go back and see if there’s any other ships available. I’m also not pleased with the quality of the little snap-together pegs; they don’t quite fit properly. Maybe I need to glue them?

It didn’t occur to me to see what other sci-fi ships they might have there – they had a lot of kiddie and girly type things there, I didn’t look all that closely at the selection since I was in a hurry. I hope they have something like the Space Battleship Yamato.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Yes, Earl, like Steve said, you meant Reliant. When I saw the above posts that made me wonder what would have happened if Khan actually did acquire the Defiant, complete with cloaking technology. Time travel would have had to be involved, of course, but Khan would have been essentially invincible and would have caused all sorts of problems to Star Fleet. He would have crippled – if not destroyed – the whole fleet if he wanted to. That ship had Dominion and Borg busting technology on it and Khan would not have had to rely on deception to attack and destroy the Enterprise.

Intriguing thought experiment but it would have made a rather boring and depressing version of “The Wrath of Khan”. The only thing that would have stopped Khan would be the intervention from the future by Captain Sisko flying in another Defiant class ship. How the Defiant got transported back 80 some years is a mystery to me. Maybe something went weird with the wormhole when Sisko flew through and the ship crashed on Ceti Alpha 5 some time before the Reliant showed up. Sounds about right for fan-fic but it would never become a movie.

BTW, copyright 2017 by Charles Pearson (just in case).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I went back to that store today, and bought another box. They all have the Into Darkness version of the Enterprise on the cover, but the one I just picked up has the NCC-1701-D in it. Dammit, my least favorite Enterprise. How many of these things do I need to buy to get the NX-01?

I was watching a Japanese TV show called Japanology about “capsule toys”, little gumball machine-style items that have entire stores dedicated, wall-to-wall, to those dispensers. There’s all sorts of crazy things in them, I was just wondering if they had any Star Trek themed ones. That’d be pretty great, having a wide selection of random Trek ships pop out for two or three hundred yen.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Steve W Steve W.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Steve W Steve W.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed