Sneak previews

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

As if anyone’s wondering what might be coming up in the episode guides, I’ll offer you some hints:

These are from stuff I’ve already written and stockpiled and stashed away. Who knows what else might be in the works?

(And a huge thank-you to Gap and Kent for sending/loaning me DVD box sets that are making all this retro-sci-fi goodness possible.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m pretty sure I recognize most of those. But I can’t figure out what shows #4, #7, and (gah!) #11 come from. I’m guessing #9 is from the Children of the Stones show, either that or it’s the lost Blake’s 7/Battlestar Galactica crossover special.

Some hints:

#4 only lasted 8 episodes.

#7 was the first-ever Sci-Fi Channel original series.

#9 aired once, in 1987, and has never been released on video – not even on VHS.

#11 is kinda like the Lexx of the ’70s, but also kinda different. Kent introduced me to it. It’s a weird show.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Some hints:

#4 only lasted 8 episodes.

#7 was the first-ever Sci-Fi Channel original series.

#9 aired once, in 1987, and has never been released on video – not even on VHS.

#11 is kinda like the Lexx of the ’70s, but also kinda different. Kent introduced me to it. It’s a weird show.

I could look up Jeff Conaway’s IMDB page and see what it is, but that would be cheating.

#7 was “Operation Genesis” or whatever they called it? The guy looks like the actor who was later on Andromeda, I knew he was on that … something… Genesis program.

I still can’t even begin to figure out #11. Totally stumped.

Edit: Otay, I was tired of trying to figure it out and looked everything up on IMDB and figured out Mission: Genesis, Wizards and Warriors, and Knights of God. And still, I can’t place any of the actresses in the photo of #11. The shape of the grey alien’s face looks like a character actress that I couldn’t name for the life of me. So, pity me and tell me what show that one is.

An additional hint for #11:

If you looked stuff up on IMDB, this series also co-starred the actor you recognized in the thumbnail pic for Knights Of God – you know, the one who isn’t Patrick Troughton. 😮

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

An additional hint for #11:

If you looked stuff up on IMDB, this series also co-starred the actor you recognized in the thumbnail pic for Knights Of God – you know, the one who isn’t Patrick Troughton. 😮

First off…. what? The other actor is Patrick Troughton? Really? He looks like the guy who was the ship’s captain from the (MST3K) movie Space Mutiny.

Star Maidens? I knew he had been in an earlier science fiction series, but I didn’t look down his IMDB page too far. Wow, even the name of the series has a 1970s feel. I can sense the cheese without even seeing a single frame of it.

We have a winner!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, why is Star Maidens the Lexx of the ’70s? Was it incredibly weird or was it a little bit sleazy? Or both?

Well, there are places where it seems like it’s going to go sleazy just any second. They usually go cheesy. It’s actually an interesting little snapshot of gender politics in the early ’70s, and what the writers thought the reverse photo-negative of those would be, filtered through a bizarre, slightly S&M-shaded prism.

Or, perhaps put in simple terms: remember “Amazon Women On The Moon”, as in the movie within the movie? It’s like someone made that for real. Without the monkey.

It is incredibly weird.

There’s more stuff coming along than just episode guides…

The Site

After a dearth of funds and listening time in 2011, we’re going to be getting back to music reviews in 2011. In fact, for much of January, there will be two music reviews a week – one soundtrack, and one not. Post-January, it’s my intention to have at least one music review every other week, though every week would be even better.

’80s Tuesday and ’70s Friday will continue. I’m not really trying to make the whole site a “retro” thing, but as I’m still almost the only person writing stuff (more on that in a moment), and since there aren’t a whole lot of current shows holding my attention right now, that’s where the bulk of my viewing (and therefore episode-guide-writing) is concentrated. Even though I’m out of work at the moment, listening and viewing time are still limited – I’ve got plenty to do on the homefront.

Therefore, it’s good that I’ve actually rallied a few old friends into helping out. Two of the site’s first writers-who-happened-not-to-be-me are working on stuff for the site Right Now. It’ll be kinda nice to not have to write everything myself.

The ‘Zine

In case you hadn’t spotted the blurb on the last page of the downloadable theLogBook e-‘zine, the ‘zine is back this year, in downloadable form, as a quarterly publication. Will it continue beyond that? That depends on a lot of things – namely, the aforementioned me-not-having-to-write-everything factor, whether or not more than a dozen folks are bothering to download and read it, and me continuing to have the time to do it. I really liked doing the layout for the 2011 annual, so much so that I almost immediately made the decision to keep doing it, at least if there’s an audience hungry for it. It gives the site a “product” of sorts, albeit yet another product that doesn’t make any money, but if that visibility translates into – and I know this is wishful thinking – enough people making tiny donations toward the site’s hosting bill, then I shall consider it a win.

The Other Stuff

There are other projects in the works for 2012. Some that may even be higher-visibility than the ‘zine. Stay tuned. Some of these projects in the pipeline really depend on which way the vote goes for the diabolically badly-written SOPA and PIPA laws, which could, if passed, wipe out such things as the Fair Use act and pesky little things like the Constitutional provisions against wiretapping and unlawful search and seizure. I understand that the studios and labels want to clamp down on piracy, but they’ve prodded the Congresscritters to whom they’ve made massive campaign donations into writing bills that could very easily be twisted into making critique illegal – in which case the whole site (and probably about 2/3 of the internet right along with it) is an endangered species. I can hope that the two bills won’t make it through to a vote, but it’s also become clear that our elected representatives’ willingness to listen to their constituents is directly proportional to how big a check one can write to the order of their campaign funds, so I’m not exactly holding my breath. If that’s the case, theLogBook’s relative obscurity might just be its saving grace.

So in short, the 2012 game plan is to maintain and, if possible, increase the geeky goodness. Stick around, it should be entertaining.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

5. BBC’s Tripods series.
    6. I recognize the opening title sequence to Steven Speilberg’s Amazing Stories.
    12. Droids TV series that aired on ABC.

Did you ever do up a X Files logbook? I got all the seasons sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

As for me writing up stuff, fergetaboutit. I’m more worried about my job situation. I’ve had a district leader ask me if I would run for Division Governor again, and I have to decline. Mind you, I ran last year, and lost 83-77.

Once upon a time, I actually wrote an episode entry for the pilot episode of X-Files… but I really have no desire to go any further with it. Someone else will need to handle that show; there’s simply too much of it and I don’t have the time. I have way too many unfinished projects with my byline on them in the episode guide section – Stargate [insert series here], Lexx, The Outer Limits, Caprica, the modern V series (to say nothing of the original, though I’ve made some headway on that recently), and I’m way behind on Big Finish Doctor Who audios. And that’s not even getting into the unfinished guides that other folks were writing once upon a time (Lost, Farscape, Clone Wars, MST3K) and have sat dormant because there wasn’t time to do any more on them. Real life is more important; I totally get that. In the past 4-5 years theLogBook has suffered several long dry spells because I couldn’t do what I needed to do with work and family and do the site at the same time.

With things as they are right now, I’m preferring to roar through one-season wonders from years past. And there’s a reason for that. Some of it is research for an upcoming project that theLogBook.com will be spinning off sometime this year, and some of it is also trying to “backfill” things in years where the guides make it look like Doctor Who and Star Trek were the only things on the air (they weren’t) – context is really important, and I’m working toward making theLogBook a useful pop culture research tool (assuming that the word “useful” doesn’t make that whole statement an oxymoron). The project that’s being spun off… well, I would describe it as being an exciting new part of theLogBook, but the truth of the matter is that theLogBook will probably become an integral part of it. Assuming it builds enough buzz to keep breathing; if it doesn’t, theLogBook will still be here.

And just as a viewer… I’ve done my time in the serialized TV trenches in recent years, what with Lost and Galactica. These days I have enough stuff to keep up with on this side of the screen that keeping up with Doctor Who in all of its forms is a feat in and of itself.

I wouldn’t mind including stuff like The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, the ’60s Batman series… but someone else out there with the DVDs or tapes is going to have to take them on. Currently all of the site’s projects are being undertaken by me alone; the recent Die Hard soundtrack review was the first thing in months that I haven’t had to write myself. I miss having other people work on this thing with me as time permits. I’m not trying to pull a Straczynski and write the whole thing myself, but for a variety of reasons – number one being, I suspect, sheer stubbornness, as most sane and normal people would have given up on this thing long ago – that’s how it’s working out.

More sneak previews! Can you figure ’em out as well as you did the last batch?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The only one I can place is #3, which was the War of the Worlds series. #7 could possibly be Man from Atlantis, but I can hardly remember a thing about that series other than Duffy in the role and the weird way he swam.

Correct on both counts! It’s TV’s Patrick Duffy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed