Shout Factory to release Super Sentai Zyuranger

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Japanese SF and Anime Shout Factory to release Super Sentai Zyuranger

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Henshin Justice:

@SHOUTFACTORY CONFIRMS KYORYU SENTAI ZYURANGER DVD RELEASE!

For the first time ever, Super Sentai will be heading to North American shores. ShoutFactory via Twitter just confirmed they will be bringing Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger to DVD.

We all know Zyuranger as the series that would later be adapted into Mighty Morhpin Power Rangers, the series first aired on February 21st 1992, the series was about five ancient warriors awoken from suspended animation in present time to fight the witch Bandora and her magical creations.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Before you start groaning like crazy, just remember: Saban “dumbed down” and re-edited the series for American audiences as the Power Rangers. Zyuranger was the first Super Sentai series to introduce a sixth member, and the green ranger actually DIED at the end of the series. The other series where the sixth ranger died at the end are: Mirai Sentai Timeranger (Time Force), Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger (Dino Thunder), and Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (skipped in the US). Also, Chōjin Sentai Jetman has the well-loved Black Condor stabbed and died at the end of that series… and not by a series villian either! Of course, we can’t expose the kiddies to the good guys dying, right?

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Didn’t the guy in the black costume in Gatchaman die in the original? Apparently they don’t pull punches when it comes to ridiculous outfits and good guys croaking.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I don’t know about Gatchaman. Earl?

Personally, I like the storylines when the good guys get their clocks cleaned. One of my favorite storylines was with during MegaRangers episodes 38-43 where a dark, mirror image of that years Sentai team called the Neziranger absorbed all of their fighting moves and the Megarangers had to find new ways to beat them. Power Rangers in Space copied that storyline over and called them the Psycho Rangers.

Why? Because the good guys don’t always win. Sometimes, they lose. Big time. Or, yeah, they won…. at a big price. You know, like real life.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Joe (Jason in Battle of the Planets) does die at the end of Gatchaman I, but never say never…

Only in America can we not stomach the actual plot twists of anime and Super Sentai series, and the finale of Blake’s 7 is considered horrendously depressing rather than inevitable. We can’t even broach the subject of administrative discipline – we’re just going to fly the ship around the Golden Gate Bridge with fireworks going off and leave it at that.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

It’s not secret that there are many similarities to Gatchaman and Jetman. In fact, episode 28 of the 35th Super Sentai series GoKaiger, the main five team members are able to see the Black Condor while the sixth member, Super Sentai fanboy Gai, is unable to see the deceased Jetman.

By the way, apropos to almost nothing, our IT team at work was having a lunchtime bitch session the other day in which Super Sentai was brought up out of the blue. I almost choked on something.

“It’s clear that one person going to Radiology isn’t going to cut it. We have to send a whole team, with someone being the leader.”

“We’ll have to go Super Sentai on them.”

At this point the discussion ceased to be entirely relevant to work as we worked out which “generation” of Super Sentai would be most effective for this purpose.

After holding my silence for several minutes – the conversation went on long past the point at which I was out of my depth – I waited for a pause in the gab to announce “…and I’ll be Zordon.”

Guess you kinda had to be there. 😆 I’m actually rather sad to report that we never went all Super Sentai on them.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

And Shout Factory has announced that Gosei Sentai Dairanger has been licensed for US release. This is the series after Zyuranger, but was re-edited in the United States to use the Zyuranger costumes save for Kiba Ranger.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed