Short Treks

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by k8track k8track 6 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

October’s shaping up to be a busy month around here.

STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS, four stand-alone short stories, will begin rolling out on Thursday, October 4, in anticipation of the early 2019 return of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. Each short will run approximately 10-15 minutes and will be an opportunity for fans to dive deeper into key themes and characters that fit into the STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and expanding “Star Trek” universe. Each of STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS four stories will center on a key character, including familiar faces from STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: Mary Wiseman (Tilly), Doug Jones (Saru) and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd), in a short he will also direct, as well as a new character unfamiliar to fans, Craft, played by Aldis Hodge.

If this pops a number for them, how neat would it be to spread their wings in the next round of shorts and maybe follow up on DS9 or Voyager or Enterprise? (Bakula’s already on the CBS lot with his own NCIS spinoff, why not?) I know that’s a long shot, because these are essentially little promos for Discovery, but hey, a guy can dream. What’s plain, simple Garak up to these days? Let’s fulfill Bryan Fuller’s original concept about stopping at every point along the timeline. Do virtual sets if you have to.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That could only happen if Paramount and CBS get merged together again. Otherwise, they’d have to redesign Garak along with anything from the original show to make it look 25% different since neither CBS or Paramount own the visual rights completely.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Has the video been taken down? It says it’s unavailable.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Region lock – that was hitting me a lot earlier tonight and then I remembered I was operating from behind a VPN.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Question: Po says that her race was born at the same time as their planet. If that is true, how would they really know?

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Has Calypso been released yet? I am not seeing it show up on any of my usual sources yet.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Yes; it dropped on Thursday the 8th.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I’ve been searching for it in the usual places, and it’s nowhere to be found.

EDIT: I just looked in a non-usual place and found it. Will report back!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by k8track k8track.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by k8track k8track.
    k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Watched it and am not sure what I think about it. Is this going to tie in to the series somehow?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I doubt it’ll tie in at all. It could if they really wanted to connect it, it sounds like the enemy the guy in Calypso described was the Federation. Discovery had been sitting out there alone for a millenia, and we know that with the spore drive time travel is possible. They probably won’t do anything with that thread, they’re not exactly impressing cynical Trek fans so who knows how long Discovery will stay on the air.

These Short Treks are only a ploy to keep people on CBS All Access until Discovery comes back. They’re filmed as cheaply as possible according to reports (which is why you don’t see any other actors roaming the ship) during whatever down time they have during filming of the main show on whatever sets aren’t in use. It seems like very little thought is going into them, story-wise.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I just watched The Brightest Star, which focused on some of the backstory of Saru. I thought it was pretty interesting and I liked it. This was one where I definitely would have liked a full episode; it seemed to raise more questions than it answered.

I am hoping that future episodes will connect with these Short Treks somehow, in a cool way, and that they are not just truly inconsequential one-off vignettes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.