Series 10, Episode 9 – Empress of Mars

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Series 10, Episode 9 – Empress of Mars

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, what did everybody think of this new episode with the Ice Warriors? I personally thought the bits with the human soldiers were a little drawn out and not enough time for the main “villains”. And you have to love the ending, with the sweet callback to a 45-year-old episode. And the same voice actress! Ysanne Churchman, 92 years old, briefly reprising her role from a decades-old Pertwee story. I wonder if Capaldi had a hand in this one, considering that Pertwee was always his favorite Doctor. He might have made the suggestion for the episode and they ran with it.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

You can bet that Mark Gatisssssssss has a hand in that as well – he is a huge Ice Warrior fan, and was in fact the first writer to bring them back into circulation in the early dayssssssss of Big Finish. (Come to think of it…ah hell, this was almost a remake of that very story, except with steampunk Victorians instead of greedy Americanssssssssss.)

Cool thing is, Brian Hayles, who invented the Ice Warriorssssssss and reinvented them for the Pertwee-era with the Peladon stories, also invented Alpha Centauri – boom! Bonus callback, only one royalty check. Now I want an Alpha Centauri action figure – they’ve got no excuse to hold out on me now. It was lovely that they got Ysanne Churchman to do the voice again – there’s a Radio Times article that’s a bit vague on the specifics, but apparently it did take some persuasion to get her – and the voice was always such a marvel of pomp and helium that it defies any attempt to nail down an “age” anyway. There was maybe one syllable where you could tell the actress had aged significantly.

It’s funny, all of us old school Who nerds are totally geeking out on a scene that takes up, what, maybe 30 seconds? 😆

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed