Series 10, Episode 1 – The Pilot

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Series 10, Episode 1 – The Pilot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

First impressions… I loved that the Doctor’s desk has photos of River and Susan on it, along with a coffee mug filled with various sonic screwdrivers. We also get to see a brief glimpse of the Movellans in action fighting the Daleks! Although I have to wonder why emotionless robots are screaming in horror as they’re being wiped out. And what university is the Doctor teaching at? I don’t recall them saying. I want to think it’s Cambridge, which would help explain why a Gallifreyan vault is buried underneath it. Professor Chronotis used to teach there, a fellow Time Lord who turned out to be a wanted criminal who escaped from the Time Lord prison planet Shada, from the half-produced episode of the same name. It’d be great if that was the reason the Doctor had been teaching there for 70 years, he’s trying to get into the late Professor’s vault/TARDIS.

This episode was well paced, nice and zippy. You didn’t get any lulls in the story, which was nice for a season opener. I hope the rest of the season will be as good as The Pilot was.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Also, why does Bill not recognize a Dalek when they’ve attempted to invade Earth a couple of times since the new show started? She’s about as unconnected to the real world as Donna was.

@Steve W wrote:

Also, why does Bill not recognize a Dalek when they’ve attempted to invade Earth a couple of times since the new show started?

This is really my big complaint about the last RTD season finale or two. Those events would have changed everything – it would’ve been post-9/11 xenophobia to the Nth degree, and the world would be on semi-permanent lockdown. If future stories aren’t going to acknowledge that or play with it…don’t bother to go there. At least during Eccleston’s season he was handing Mickey a computer virus that would wipe the internet of any evidence, reducing the Slitheen’s arrival to a conspiracy theory.

Great thing about classic Who is: it knew better than to up the stakes to a global level. They couldn’t afford to show it, so why bother? So much easier to let an alien loose in the classic Base Under Siege scenario, where you’ll have the word of maybe one or two survivors that anything happened at all, assuming they ever tell anybody.

That being said, I really liked the Pilot. The pacing didn’t seem rushed, and I laughed a lot louder and longer than I really should have at the “penguin with his ass on fire” comment.

I loved that the Movellans weren’t updated one little bit. They’re still crap glam disco spandex metal dreadlock robots, and a total throwaway to the scene. No one says their name. No one remarks on it, they’re just there. The best kind of callback – it’s not there long enough to screw them up.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The Movellan’s outfits are a bit different than they used to be, though. Their pants were plain before, these had some kind of diagonal swish kind of thing looking like a holster or something. I noticed it right away and had to look up their old designs on Google Images just to verify.

I always loved the Movellans weaponry. It has a lot of the Blake’s 7 design style to it, in the way of going with a non-traditional gun shape. Although it made it clumsy to holster the giant weapon.

If the “sentient oil” can travel across the universe through space and time and can even withstand attacks from and eliminate Daleks, why couldn’t the Time Lords have weaponized that technology and used it during the Time War? Synthetic nano-liquid assassins that will always find and eliminate its target. Sounds like an ultimate weapon to me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed