Seminal sci-fi magazine 'Galaxy' is now free online

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction General SF Seminal sci-fi magazine 'Galaxy' is now free online

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Engadget:

Seminal sci-fi magazine ‘Galaxy’ is now free online
    The archive contains issues from 1950 – 1976 and includes early stories from heavy-hitting authors.

The next time you watch a big blockbuster sci-fi film like Alien: Covenant, you can thank the original pulp magazines. The written form of the popular genre got its start in comic book-sized magazines like Amazing Stories, Astounding Science Fiction, Galaxy Science Fiction, The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction and Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine. These publications, under the direction of influential editors like John W. Campbell, Jr., helped improve the genre from basic adventure stories to more thoughtful, well-written speculative fiction by authors like Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke. It’s not an overstatement to say that these magazines created the current science fiction craze. Now, Galaxy Science Fiction, a magazine that published Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451” and Alfred Bester’s “The Demolished Man,” is available for free online.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Thanks for the link. I’ve downloaded the first issue and I’m impressed by some of the names they were able to sign up: Asimov, Simak, Sturgeon, Lieber…OMG!

Galaxy, I think, would be my third favorite Sci-Fi magazine. It is only surpassed by Analog and F&SF. I am a current subscriber to F&SF and I’ve been reading that magazine for over 30 years. My goal is to read (or at least have) the entire collection of F&SF. I’m not sure that is possible unless they have put their back issues on the Internet, which is doubtful. In the meantime, aving Galaxy archived on the Internet will do nicely in a pinch.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m going to derail the thread for a moment, bear with me.

Are there many immediately recognizable science-fiction authors of today? The list of authors that wrote for Galaxy is impressive, even for somebody like me who hasn’t read a lot of classic sci-fi. You can also see a lot of notable authors in shows from that period, like the original Star Trek, The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone. It doesn’t feel like there’s any outstanding author names in this genre nowadays. We know a lot of fantasy and young adult novelist names (since those are the people who’s work is getting adapted to other media so often) but not a lot of modern sci-fi writers have that same name recognition for multiple generations. Is it because there’s just so much in the genre now that many are being drowned out in the deluge?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed