Select Game podcast

Hailing frequencies open… Forums theLogBook.com Podcasts Select Game podcast

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

If you need evidence of my fragmented, scatterbrained mental state these days, I offer the following:

I launched a new podcast this week and neglected to mention it anywhere in my own forums. The plan is for it to be monthly, possibly alternating with another podcast on another topic (which I’m still outlining and refining), sort of like how Flack does YDKF and Sprite Castle (both of which I really recommend, BTW).

Select Game is obviously an Odyssey2 podcast. I worked on the first episode for several weeks, before finally settling on an obvious format: sit in front of the game, play the game, talk about the game while I’m playing it. The joystick smacking against the edge of its restrictor can be heard. The cats can occasionally be heard. The audio of the game is simultaneously being recorded via direct output to the media server, and then I put my microphone and the game audio together, which lets me mix up or down as needed, but for the most part that’s the only real post-production aside from standard mouth-breather/”um” edits. The Escape Pod it ain’t.

Since Select Game doesn’t lean as heavily on fair use of copyrighted material as Escape Pod did, I have set up Stitcher and Archive.org mirrors for it; iTunes is “pending”. Any music I use in it will probably be Kasatochi, a project which is the gift that keeps on giving, making my other audio projects a lot easier. πŸ˜†

The other podcast will probably center around my (mis)adventures working in the media; the shape and scope of that project is still in the gestation stage. It also doesn’t have a snazzy name just yet; the text file I have with outlines and topics is labeled “Edit Bay E”, which makes perfect sense…if you ever worked in the KHBS newsroom.

Both of them have “finish lines” that limit their life spans: Select Game is done when it finishes off the whole Odyssey2/Videopac software library, limited thereafter to whatever homebrews or discovered prototypes emerge. The media podcast dead-ends once I’m no longer working in the media.

And then I can figure out something else to talk to myself about in a small closed room. 😯

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, hopefully you’ll do better than some of the “game by game” style podcasts out there. The Atari Lynx Game by Game podcast had its first episode nearly six months ago, and as yet there’s been no second episode. And he was such a boring speaker anyway, I couldn’t listen for long. My favorite podcasts are either by comedians or former comedians, because they know how to speak into and perform with a microphone. When I try out a podcast and the guy has no real presentation, a weak speaking voice and says “uhhh” four or five times a sentence, I know I won’t be listening until the end. I think you’ll have a much better handle on this than most people. Although it’s a shame you won’t be doing a video podcast, I’d rather see the games in action than hear games being described to me.

One of the odd things I’ve noticed about the “game by game” podcasts is that they frequently have a robot/computer/AI voice that chimes in every once in a while delivering a bit of info or a stilted joke, using some manner of computer voice synthesis. Maybe you could do the same thing, using “The Voice” module on the Odyssey2. Or you could leave that out altogether, since having a wacky computer voice to have someone to bounce jokes off of is a bit played out.

I’ve been known to abort recording for the night due to excessive “uh”. I’m a firm believe in circling around for another attack on another day if my head’s not in the right space.

I actually record things wildly out-of-sequence for this podcast. I have the gameplay segments completed for several episodes, the “pre-credits intro” done for the next three (recorded in the same session as the show open), and of course the show open and close are pre-produced. It’s an interestingly disjointed way to work. I’m also thinking of having Little E join me for some two-player games; I was able to effectively play a lopsided game of baseball by myself the other night, but there’s nothing quite like a game with two actual players. So there will be a second, third, and so on, episode of Select Game; part of the monthly frequency is to be able to build a backlog of shows, and so I don’t burn out on it. The media podcast would alternate with Select Games. Every two weeks, at least in theory, you’d get to hear me rambling about…well…something.

@Steve W wrote:

One of the odd things I’ve noticed about the “game by game” podcasts is that they frequently have a robot/computer/AI voice that chimes in every once in a while delivering a bit of info or a stilted joke, using some manner of computer voice synthesis. Maybe you could do the same thing, using “The Voice” module on the Odyssey2.

I pepper the podcast with the “canned” Voice clips – the pre-recorded, pre-digitized words and phrases built into the unit – and did the show-closing copyright with Type & Tell. This fits in nicely with me using the C64-based SAM voice as the “Escape Pod computer voice”. πŸ˜†

Flack
    Participant

There are a lot of podcast “memes” that get spread from show to show through places like that AtariAge thread where all gaming podcasts are discussed (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153291-2-worthy-video-game-podcasts/). For example, Ferg (host of the 2600 Game by Game Podcast) doesn’t like the phrase “back in the day,” refuses to say it on his show, and bleeps reader audio submissions that contain it. Based on that, people have started saying “back in the Ferg” and that has now spread to a lot of different shows, but the problem (in my opinion) is that it ends up on shows with audiences who don’t know who Ferg is or how the meme started. I think it’s funny when people do it on his show (or when he bleeps it) but when a dozen other shows are doing it and listeners have no idea what’s going on… I dunno. I’m always the guy that doesn’t want to split the ticket at the table and just wants to pay for his own meal, so maybe it’s just me being a party pooper. Same thing goes with the robot voice. I included one on the first episode of YDKF (back in 2008) and still use it, but it seems like every show started using one as a co-host or for comedy schtick a couple of years ago. The retro podcasting community is pretty small overall, so it’s not uncommon to see one show start something and then see a bunch of shows adopt it.

As far as editing goes, when I started podcasting I wrote everything out like a book and read it word for word, and these days I go off of pretty sparse outlines. This does lead to a few more verbal pauses than I would like to include, but the trade off is a more natural sound when speaking. I used to cut out every single “uh” and “um” (sometimes dozens per episode) and I don’t do that anymore. I got some pretty good advice early on that I ignored for a long time which is the more editing, the easier it is to get burned out. With both of my regularly scheduled shows, I record, drop in my regular sound bites, encode, and push.

Ironically, the Mission Log Podcast (an outfreakingstanding Star Trek episode-by-episode podcast that k8track got me hooked on) uses exactly the same female voice synthesizer as the one who introduces YDKF…and it breaks up show segments with comedy schtick.

I’ve gotten better about just…pausing…all…Shatner-like…in lieu of “um” and “uh”. That’s a more acceptable solution to me, and who doesn’t like…a dramatic pause? It’s an old radio trick I’ve had to relearn, kinda like softening my B’s and P’s as I speak since I don’t have a decent pop filter. All the public-speaking-at-conventions has helped me to ditch the “uh”/”um” habit. So there’s not a huge amount of editing there.

The media podcast now has a name:
    “Don’t Give This Tape To Earl”
    πŸ˜†

k8track
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Ironically, the Mission Log Podcast (an outfreakingstanding Star Trek episode-by-episode podcast that k8track got me hooked on) uses exactly the same female voice synthesizer as the one who introduces YDKF…and it breaks up show segments with comedy schtick.

I’ve gotten better about just…pausing…all…Shatner-like…in lieu of “um” and “uh”. That’s a more acceptable solution to me, and who doesn’t like…a dramatic pause? It’s an old radio trick I’ve had to relearn, kinda like softening my B’s and P’s as I speak since I don’t have a decent pop filter. All the public-speaking-at-conventions has helped me to ditch the “uh”/”um” habit. So there’s not a huge amount of editing there.

The media podcast now has a name:
    “Don’t Give This Tape To Earl”
    πŸ˜†

I’ve been meaning for the last couple weeks to start a thread of the podcasts I currently enjoy listening to. The Mission Log Podcast is the gold standard, that’s for sure. I’ve also recently gotten hooked on YDKF! Not sure why it took me so long, but I’m happily catching up on all of those. Looking forward to checking out your new podcast, Earl.

@k8track wrote:

I’ve been meaning for the last couple weeks to start a thread of the podcasts I currently enjoy listening to.

That’s a really good idea. *grabs good idea and runs with it*

Logo/text-free version of the cover art for the first Select Game episode of 2017:

Kinda disturbingly cheerful, isn’t it? πŸ˜†

In episode 201, I actually get a lawyer on the show (no, seriously) to discuss the case and the precedent it set for future cases. (Slight spoiler: the shadow of the case looms much, much longer than either console’s reign as a current product.)

Still waiting to find out if the above illustrated episode is going to happen in February (and if not, there’s an equally tantalizing possibility for that episode), but Select Game has hit the end of its first season, as planned, with the K.C. Munchkin episode. Hope everyone enjoys – if for no other reason than there are copious legal filings concerning the development of K.C. Munchkin, there’s a huge amount of background info compared to the average Odyssey game.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed