Season 11, Episode 1 – The Woman Who Fell To Earth

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Season 11, Episode 1 – The Woman Who Fell To Earth

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Also happens to be episode #843 overall, if anyone’s keeping track. It’s coming soon, so…thread time.

The Doctor
    Wait a minute…has the Doctor been to Bajor or something?

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Seems to have a X Files vibe to it. Very serious.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

And…no title sequence? That was odd. I mean, I understand that they want to avoid a situation like the bastardized American movie-length edit of Time & The Rani, where we have Sylvester McCoy’s title sequence, followed by “Colin Baker”‘s (actually McCoy in a wig) regeneration into McCoy, when the original UK transmission didn’t play the titles until after the regeneration scene, which was a little teaser scene of sorts. (The DVD release shows it the correct way as aired in the UK, for whatever it’s worth.)

Buuuuuut…we’d already had Capaldi change into Jodie Whittaker at the end of last year’s Christmas special. So what’s the big secret?

The undulating electrical monster reminded me a lot of the monster from an episode of – god help us – Space: 1999…

(…and yes, that was Picard’s older brother fighting that embarrassingly low-budget contraption.)

I know the execution is 40+ years and entire orders of effects technology away between the two iterations, but I instantly flashed back to that Space: 1999 episode. 😆

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Still, looks like I’m the only one who was thinking that: Jodie Whittaker’s First Outing Snares 8.2M U.K. Viewers, 40 Percent Share [LINK]

The hourlong episode “The Woman Who Fell to Earth” amassed 8.2 million viewers on BBC One on Sunday night, beating both the 2014 start for Peter Capaldi (6.8 million) and Matt Smith’s 2010 debut (8.0 million). Consolidated figures, taking into account BBC iPlayer catch-up viewing, will no doubt push the number far higher.

Although it couldn’t match the 9.4 million who tuned in to see David Tennant become the Doctor in 2005, that episode was a Christmas special, which traditionally attracts a significantly bigger audience.

NAP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.