Scalzi's "Old Man's War" lands at Netflix

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction American / Canadian SF Scalzi's "Old Man's War" lands at Netflix

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl Earl 3 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The Syfy attempt to do a series went nowhere, and now Netflix is going to give it a shot as a movie. [LINK]

Netflix has acquired John Scalzi’s modern sci-fi classic Old Man’s War to develop as an original film. The novel is the first in a best-selling six-book series and is considered to be one of the best of the genre over the past two decades, nominated for a Hugo Award.

Scalzi also has projects in development with FX and Working Title. In 2015, the author signed a 10-year, 13-book deal with Tor Books.

Shestack and Madhouse’s Robyn Meisinger and Adam Kolbrenner will produce with Scalzi and Madhouse’s Ryan Cunningham on as executive producer. Shestack recently produced Before I Fall for Awesomeness and Open Road. Madhouse produced the Warner Bros-Alcon feature Prisoners and recently wrapped shooting Screen Gems’ Slender Man, which is slated for a May 2018 release.

Scalzi had this to say (among many other things) in conventient FAQ form on his own blog [LINK]:

So is this a movie or TV series?
    It’s a movie. On your television!

Hey, wasn’t Old Man’s War in development as a movie, and a TV series, before?
    Indeed it was. It was in development at Paramount for a while as a movie, and then at Syfy as a TV series.

What happened?
    It just didn’t work out. Both times, really smart folks did a really excellent job and tried to make it happen, but the entertainment industry is what it is, and the stars didn’t align.

But this time will be different!
    Well, yes, I hope so. It would be nice. I think we have the studio and producers to make it happen.

How involved will you be in the production?
    As the article linked above notes, I’m an executive producer on the movie, so I’m pretty substantially involved. Which is nice! I have opinions, you know. I’m going to share them.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed