Save Arkadia!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

They said “Save Arkadia!” And a bunch of us did. [LINK]

When Shea Mathis of Fayetteville’s Arkadia Retrocade announced he would be reopening his business earlier this month after being closed since March because of the pandemic, several people expressed reluctance to return to the retro arcade in the comments of his announcement post.

At the time, as Mathis tells it, he had decided to reopen after realizing he was down to his last $20 of credit on his maxed-out card. In other words, he didn’t have much of a choice.

Local resident Jessica Watkins wasn’t aware of Mathis’ financial situation, but saw those comments from those who loved the arcade but were afraid to return, and decided to see if she could help.

Watkins set up a Facebook fundraiser for Mathis with a modest goal of raising $500 to help out with the reopening.

Within minutes, that goal had been exceeded, as the Fayetteville community overwhelmingly began pitching in to help the beloved local place.

“I originally set the goal of the fundraiser for $500,” she said. “Our community blew past this in less than an hour so I raised it to 1k, then 2k, then 5k, and finally 8k and still the overall total came to $11,456 before Facebook fees.”

I really like the quote later in the story where she compares Shea to Willy Wonka. That’s utterly appropriate.

By the way, when the arcade reopened, it reopened with the second space finally accessible and full of working machines.

ZLothZLoth

Like this. There are several arcade-restaurants in this local area which I wanted to go to that are struggling.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Wanna see a walkthrough of Arkadia now that both sides of the building are open? I went there after my day of job interviews in Fayetteville and practically had the place to myself…and still didn’t have enough phone battery to get everything on video.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.