Rumours: Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker Leaving? Series 12 “in Chaos”?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Rumours: Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker Leaving? Series 12 “in Chaos”?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From The Doctor Who Companion:

Rumours: Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker Leaving? Series 12 “in Chaos”? What’s Going On?!

The rumour mill has been churning, as you’ve surely heard, with speculation that Chris Chibnall has been fired; Jodie Whittaker has walked too; Series 12 is in chaos; Pete McTighe is acting as an interim showrunner; and a new Doctor will be in place by 2021.

Is any of this true? It’s hard to say. Because we don’t know. Nobody knows. The only people who do know are those involved and, apparently, mysterious insiders who pop out of the woodwork at opportune moments.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

At this moment, I am classifying this as “completely wild bordering on unsubstantiated” with no collaborating evidence.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Since the Radio Times has refuted this… I’d go ahead and consider it case-closed on this rumor. Despite all the turmoil that happened in 1985-86, nobody at the BBC even so much as twitched a finger to remove John Nathan-Turner from the showrunner’s seat; I doubt seriously that Chibnall’s production team could possibly be in as much disarray as the show was during that time.

I’ve seen a lot of familiar faces cheerleading this rumor on Twitter, including the predictably awful Ian Levine, so I think the only thing giving this rumor any kind of extended play is that a loud (but small) herd of middle-aged white men want it to be true. When series 11 boasted the best ratings since David Tennant’s first season, I doubt Chibnall or Whittaker is going anywhere. I really enjoyed the most recent season; it was the most “involved” I’ve been in the show for several years.

Those who absolutely have to live in a universe where the Doctor is a man: Big Finish still exists. But don’t expect it to be any more politically comforting than the television series.

Holy cow, fandom can be kind of awful these days.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.