Rumor: Hayao Miyazaki announces retirement?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Japanese SF and Anime Rumor: Hayao Miyazaki announces retirement?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

That strange sound is me and Zloth screaming NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo at the same time. [LINK]

Not so great news comes our way from Venice today, reports are circulating that Hayao Miyazaki will be retiring from feature directing. The news was announced at the Venice Film Festival, where his latest film The Wind Rises is in competition. No specifics were mentioned as the statement regarding Miyazaki’s retirement came from Studio Ghibli president Hoshino Koji instead of Miyazaki himself.

I’m kinda reading that as “being put out to pasture for not coming up with a breakthrough major hit in the western world” – Ghibli may be retiring him from their roster, but I have yet to see where the man himself is giving up filmmaking/animation.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

This didn’t really surprise because I was under the impression he was either in semi-retirement already or was soon to enter retirement. Nothing tangible just a general impression I had when I watched the extra segments of his various DVD’s (the later ones, anyway).

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The guy was born in 1941, which makes him just a few months older than my mother. There was discussion of Miyazaki retiring for about a decade already, although it has become more of a supervisory role. What bugs me is that some of the studio’s biggest hits aren’t available on BluRay.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And he’s called it off again. Apparently, this is now the seventh time he’s announced his retirement and later decided against it.

Retirement is not a flavor Mr. Miyazaki likes. [LINK]

Miyazaki’s retirement from feature animation is a bit of a running gag; he has often announced retirement after completing a film. In September 2013, he made a formal announcement at a press conference attended by over 600 journalists. Still, even with that event’s sense of finality, many didn’t actually believe Miyazaki was finished with feature films—and they may have been right.

The news of Miyazaki’s pending return to feature film was the subject of an entire NHK TV special that aired in Japan on Sunday: Owaranai Hito Miyazaki Hayao (The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki). In the show, Miyazaki not only discussed his current project—a 12-minute CG animated short Kemushi no Boro (Boro the Caterpillar) that will debut at the Ghibli Museum in 2017—but floated plans for a follow-up feature film.

Miyazaki, who turns 76 years old in January, pitched the project to Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki in August, and believes he can have it finished by 2020, if not earlier. He is already preparing storyboards for the film. The studio hasn’t officially committed to the project, but it’s hard to imagine Studio Ghibli will fail to accommodate Miyazaki, considering that he’s one of the owners.

Miyazaki’s last feature film, The Wind Rises, was 2013’s highest-grossing film in Japan, won the Japan Academy Prizes’s Animation of the Year, and was nominated for an Academy Award for best animated feature.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed