Ridiculously obscure JP Sonic spinoff to be revived in MAME

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Ridiculously obscure JP Sonic spinoff to be revived in MAME

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Don’t worry, I’d never heard of it either. [LINK]

Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car is a relatively obscure arcade title where the player drives in a car booth and assists a police clad Sonic. It’s also one of the earlier instances of a fully voiced Sonic early in the brand’s life, albeit in Japanese.

Sadly, it has been increasingly difficult to find a working machine in public, with one of the most recent reports being that some friends over at Sonic Paradise found the machine in a Spanish mall, albeit with a broken steering wheel.

Starting with the next release of MAME, you can enjoy this odd bit of Sonic history too, thanks to an effort to secure the board and the generous donations of many people.

So what, Sonic the Hedgehog is moonlighting as a cop? Is he doing ridealongs with Mappy?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The weird thing is, I think I might have seen one of those years back at the Grapevine Mills mall. Either that, or the amusement company re-used the fiberglass car model for another game. But I get a twinge of memory looking at the police star on the front with Sonic in it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed