Red Dwarf X

This topic contains 58 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

I remember when Wisconsin PBS boasted that they were airing RD8 mere days after each episode premiered in the UK. It was a good time to keep the old VHS VCR warmed up…

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The PBS station in Dallas/Fort Worth did the same thing, broadcasting season 8 less than a week after the UK premiere, but with the added luxury of having the whole cast doing promos for KERA Channel 13 leading up to it. It’s nice to be in a major PBS market.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So…. any word on the new series ratings and possible continuation?

In the notes section on the Log Book page for Entangled:

Notes: Kochanski gets another mention; interestingly, so too is the incident from the very first episode, The End, in which Rimmer’s negligence wipes out Red Dwarf’s original crew, and Lister talks as though that crew was lost forever, which would seem to cast the rediscovery of that crew in Red Dwarf VIII in a very vague new light – was that season a bad dream, a parallel timeline that never happened to the “real” Lister, et al., or some other kind of marginalized reality?

I’d just like to point out that this particular Rimmer wasn’t even the one responsible for wiping out the crew, since that one went off to be Ace, and this one was revived from the remains of Rimmer left on board the Red Dwarf when the nanites rebuilt it and the crew, apparently with no knowledge of their deaths since they were regenerated to an earlier state. A Rimmer who was still alive and not a hologram, making me wonder at what point did he die and get revived. I don’t remember all that much about those later years of the show.

So in other words, elements of RD VII have been retconned out of existence as well.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You keep up with these things better than I do… is it a yes or no on a season 11? I started thinking about it after seeing the show mentioned on a rerun of The Big Bang Theory.

Still no word. I keep watching the various cast members’ Twitter feeds for even the slightest hint – right now the status seems to be “we don’t know, stop asking!”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Wow, you’d think they’d have the numbers worked out by now. And considering that the Dave network is supposedly named after Lister…

Robert Llewellyn tweeted this today…

Robert Llewellyn@bobbyllew
    OMG. Red Dwarf X nominated for Best International Comedy Series and Best European Comedy Series categories of Monte Carlo TV Festival. Yay!

Still not sure what the ratings were like, but the prestige certainly can’t hurt the show’s chances of getting another pickup.

I’m seeing lots of traffic on Twitter about various PBS outlets picking up Red Dwarf X, including KERA in Dallas. Check your local listings and stuff.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Meh, I don’t need to watch it on conventional television. This is the age of the internet, it’s not like it used to be back in ye olden days, when I’d order a season of the show from a guy’s ad in the back of the Comics Buyer’s Guide so I could see series 4 a year or more before it came to my local PBS station. I even got a copy of the US pilot of Red Dwarf that way, but not the reshoot/recasting bits done afterwards. I’ve always wanted to see Terry Farrell as Cat.

Anyhoo, the DVD is already out for season 10, PBS really should have ramped up their game and gotten it in earlier.

The second pilot isn’t all that impressive. You can tell they had a budget of, oh, about $0. Robert Llewellyn even said that it was shot “in a garage.” I’ll try to remember to put it on my tablet for OVGE so you can watch it there.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed