Red Dwarf X

This topic contains 58 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Unless maybe it was the helmet-of-hockey-hair guy from Holoship who hated Rimmer’s guts.

Watch it be something ever weirder, like another Ace Rimmer.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Have any of you seen the new shows yet? The first episode was on the 4th, and iTunes hasn’t put it up for sale, so I’m forced to… acquire it through more tenuously legal means. But I’m not getting anywhere at the moment. If they’d just make it available online through some outlet like iTunes, I’d be more than happy to give them money for it. Since the internet has spread far and wide, the Earth has become too small to have all these barriers between English-speaking countries and their various media. I know it’s all about licensing and that sort of thing, but it’s still pretty disappointing that I can’t easily access something legally and end up having to go underground to get it.

EDIT: I managed to find a copy and watch it. As always, they made a hash of the continuity from the other series. It seems the universe isn’t quite so unpopulated as it used to be in previous episodes. In fact, it feels a lot busier than it has been in the past. Or at least home shopping networks are still around, even though after three million years they’re manned and run by droids.

Chime in with your own opinions – I’d like to know what your take on the new series is.

I kinda liked it.

It’s not up there with DNA or Gunmen Of The Apocalypse, but it’s funnier than most anything in RD8 or Back To Earth. I laughed out loud a few times.

I wish I could delete my resentments and defrag my drive.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

My brother absolutely, unequivocally loves Red Dwarf. He’s been a fan since the beginning, and used to watch the video tapes repeatedly as his “happy place” when his marriage and health were having problems. I had told him new episodes were coming soon but his memory is pretty bad from going through chemotherapy years back, so he didn’t remember. So I pop the new episode onto a USB drive and take it over to him. He was in the kitchen about to make himself something to eat, and I pulled the drive out of my pocket and told him what was on it. The look on his face… was like a little kid who had just seen Star Wars and for Christmas he finds the entire Kenner Star Wars toy line underneath the Christmas tree.

He really liked the episode. He’s watched it two or three times already. He agrees that it’s better than Back To Earth, and it’s a good return to form for the show. Even the look of the show has that early season feel to it, looking like the video quality was like the first few seasons. He’s foaming at the mouth for the next episodes.

It’s a shame they couldn’t get Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge back to do Holly. It’s the one thing I feel is missing, even though they’re doing a good job of working around the lack of him/her.

There’s been a long-standing feud between Norman Lovett and the show’s creators/producers. I was surprised when he came back at the end of RD VII, and not at all surprised when he vanished again.

Why they can’t “reboot” Holly as Hattie, I dunno. Maybe her schedule is too busy.

I’m glad your brother got a charge out of it – seeing that look on someone’s face is the best thing in the world.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Maybe the unceremonious way they got rid of Hattie might have damaged any chances of her coming back. I purchased the track of her audio book about that incident, where they pulled her into their office and stated that the show was going a different direction and she wasn’t really needed any more since the Red Dwarf wasn’t even going to be on the show at all. This was the season where Chris Barrie infamously stated that wild horses couldn’t drag him back to the set after that year. So things weren’t going too smoothly at that time it seems, maybe she doesn’t want to deal with that again. And even after only one episode, I can sense a Holly shaped hole in the program. Kryten stated that the scudders found a derelict in the first episode. Really? Scudders? It would have made so much more sense for Hilly to pop on screen and mention it. I’m expecting a lot of moments like that one for this season.

I’m not too sure about that hole. Aside from the “laid back beyond belief” character archetype being missing, a lot of the technobabble that Holly used to carry is now Kryten’s domain. That’s been an issue as far back as the fourth or fifth season, how to divide that load between Holly and Kryten.

That being said, you couldn’t have done Queeg or White Hole without Holly.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, the new episode attempts to replace Holly. And it doesn’t go well. She’s quite the looker, though! Although I couldn’t figure out what the marks were on her face. Another funny episode, with a bit of timey-wimey thrown in but without any time travel, just raging alcoholism. After two episodes, this season’s already looking like a winner. It’s really gone back to its core strengths.

Quick Edit: Hey Earl, in your description of the American pilot(s) for Red Dwarf, you mentioned DVD commentaries about them. Are those pilots available on a DVD? I don’t remember coming across them before. I’ve always wanted to see the second version of the ‘pilot’.

No, I was referring to mentions of the pilots in the commentary on the commercially available DVDs. (The fifth season set, I think, has a full documentary on the US pilots.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, the last episode Lemons was just okay. There were a couple good moments in it, but nothing gut-busting. I do like that we now know why Rimmer’s middle name is Judas, though. I do like that Rimmer’s a little bit more agreeable in this new series than he traditionally has in the past. I guess hanging around with the same guys for a couple decades on a giant rustbucket in deep space tends to soften you around the edges and not keep everybody at a distance.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The latest episode, Dear Dave, brought up some questions. Lister is depressed because he misses the Human race and how he’s the last one of his kind in the universe. So… what happened to the revived crew of Red Dwarf after they evacuated the ship in the last episode of season 8? Won’t they still be buzzing around the galaxy, all trying to get home too? Or are they in denial that season 8 never happened (not a bad idea, really)? I guess I have to wait for the commentary tracks on the DVD set to find out.

Well, the last episode of RD VIII did include a shift into an alternate universe. I’ll accept that as the clearly marked exit from the “prisoners aboard a ship that never before had a huge prison in it” season.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Aaaaaand…. there’s the last episode of the season, and you never really know if it’s the last episode that we’ll ever see. I kind of liked the way it ended, Rimmer accepting his lot in life and him being the one to strategize their way out of destruction. I didn’t like the way the simulants were portrayed, though. Rogue simulants in the past were totally bloodthirsty lunatics, but here… meh. And the only thing to make them simulants is an old bit of circuit board glued to their foreheads? I guess they ran out of money at this point, they could only afford some candles in a black room for a bridge.

Do you know what the ratings have been for the new series, and has Dave decided to go ahead with another season?

Robert Llewellyn and Doug Naylor have been innundated with that question on Twitter, and neither one of them knows anything yet. It’s all down to a numbers game.

I’d be okay with another season like this one, honestly. Nothing this season screamed “best episode EVAR!!1!!!” at me, but average Red Dwarf is more entertaining than some shows’ best episodes.

LadyJaye
    Participant

I’m just catching up now with Red Dwarf X, having watched episodes 1 and 3. I agree that so far, it’s up there with the middle-range episodes — not the best, classic ones, but definitely not the “want to gouge my eyes out” unfunny episodes either.

I do miss the excitement of catching the newest episodes on PBS, though. Back in the day, Moutain Lake PBS (based in Plattsburgh NY) was the first station to air series VII (IIRC even before the UK). I should check my RDVII videotape to see if I have any signs of local broadcast, such as pledge drives…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed