Red Dwarf X

This topic contains 58 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Well, the only torrent I found of the mags absolutely refuses to download anything, even though there were five seeds available. Damn. I really wanted to re-read those, and not have to dig out my old copies wherever the hell they might be.

Titles for all six episodes of Red Dwarf X have been revealed [LINK]:

Trojan
    Fathers and Suns
    Lemons
    Entanglement
    Dear Dave
    The Beginning

Given that the first episode of Red Dwarf I was The End, is the intention to wrap up the story with this season – or maybe tie things off and send them in a new direction (again)?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Hopefully “The Beginning” will end it once and for all. After all these actors are aging and it’s getting harder and harder to pull it off without acknowledging that fact. Considering the amount of time it took to get this series together, the next series may never happen because one of the principal actors would have died before the finalize the details on the next series.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I thought they’d been given two seasons, not just one?

Over on Twitter, Robert “Kryten” Llewellyn weighs in on the rampant speculation…

Robert Llewellyn ‏@bobbyllew
    I don’t think you should read TOO much into the episode titles. #justsayin

Perhaps not the last episode after all… [LINK]

“We’re going back to classic Red Dwarf,” says Naylor of what to expect of the new series, while keeping the details a closely guarded secret.

“It’s the boys back on the ship, having adventures like in series three, four and five. Most of the ideas are fresh but for the last episode I borrow things from the very early drafts of the film and explain what happened after the conclusion of series eight.

“That final episode also features a spectacular dogfight. Well, spectacular for Red Dwarf.”

However, it wouldn’t be an adventure if it all ran smoothly. A tightening of the budget during pre-production meant that two weeks of OB shooting had to be dropped, leading to an extensive reworking of scripts. Naylor says it was a happy accident.

“There was some ‘excitement’ after we realised we had to lose the OB filming as there were scripts littered with situations that we had to abandon,” he recalls.

“Bizarrely, the result is an early type of Red Dwarf series where we are based on just a few sets. We didn’t plan it but restrictions can make you more creative.

“We also discovered that filming in the freezing winter caused a drop-frame problem so we were glad to get back indoors. It’s just a shame the shooting was over in what seemed like a nanosecond. For me, that’s the most fun part.”

Of the new series, Charles says: “We’ve stopped being an action adventure series and gone back to being more of a sitcom. Back To Earth looked fantastic and was very clever but it wasn’t as funny as it could have been, choosing to be more of an emotional journey. We’re now back to being four clowns in a room, each trying to be funnier than the next man.

“We’re still 3 million years into deep space, looking for a way home and really hot curry. But now it’s a bit more like Grumpy Old Men.”

“We’re still action heroes and stunningly brave,” adds Llewellyn, with as much of a smile as his mask will allow.

Back to the present and judging by fan anticipation, Red Dwarf X will break records for Dave again when it debuts in October.

Naylor says: “UKTV is very pleased with this series and I’m keen to get writing again.”

The original “two season pickup” fell through ages ago; as Ubik pointed out (and as this article backs up), we were apparently lucky that this season got made. But it doesn’t sound like the last episode’ll be wrapping things up if Doug Naylor’s still expecting to be writing new episodes after the season’s over. (As one would expect from an arm of Syfy, the news site Blastr.com is shamelessly moving forward with the assumption that this is the end of the series as a whole.)

I’m very excited that they’ve dropped all the pretenses at Bruckheimer-esque action and settled back into being a comedy. That sounds more like the show we all signed on for back in the day.

October 4th.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The Hydrogen Scoop on the front of the Red Dwarf is comically large, as if that were a fish-eye lens close up shot that they stuck in the distant background. And they should have lit them a little bit better, the harsh lighting doesn’t do those guys any favors. The Cat looks especially lousy, even Kryten’s foam mask looks crappy under that harsh light.

LadyJaye
    Participant

I can’t wait to see Red Dwarf X, hopefully it will indeed be back to be as funny as it was in the early days.

BTW, if anyone wonders about my avatar, these are my old Red Dwarf tapes, taped off PBS in the mid-1990s (Red Dwarf VII is very likely the first broadcast of the series, as would be series VI if I could find that tape)…

LadyJaye
    Participant

@earl wrote:

There was one more after that which never made it over here, “Backwards.”

I don’t remember which book it was in, as I haven’t read them in ages. Come to think of it, it may have been something from the “Smegazine,” the ridiculously entertaining RD-focused magazine that was in circulation in the early 90s. It may have come from an interview with the set designer who was trying to justify his habit of constantly changing things. 😆

Backwards wasn’t released in the US? Wow. I bought that book when it came out (then again, the printed price in the back indicates UK, Australia, and Canada, but no US). Actually, I have all four Red Dwarf novels, a best-of script book, and Robert Llewellyn’s Red Dwarf memoir:

I’m totally jealous of your hardcopy of The Man in the Rubber Mask. I could never acquire that in print.

At this point, though, I’m holding out for the updated audiobook version.

On Robert Llewellyn’s blog, he states that the episode will run a full 30 minutes just like old times; with commercials (Dave, unlike the BBC, has advertisements), it’ll fill a 40 minute slot. Not sure what they’ll do with the remaining 20 minutes. Behind the scenes stuff? Filler? Test card?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Speaking of VHS tapes, since my local PBS station would take a year or two after the original broadcast to pick up the new season of Red Dwarf for airing in the US, In the early ’90s I had little recourse but to order tapes of it from a guy out of an ad in the back of the Comics Buyer’s Guide who had a friend tape all the episodes and mail it to him, then he’d change the video from PAL to NTSC and make copies. I’d happily pay $30 for what was clearly and obviously a bootleg (not even a label or anything, just a generic videotape and slipcase) because, before the internet, there was no other way to watch the TV shows I was interested in when they weren’t being broadcast locally or on cable. It makes you appreciate how easy it is to get your hands on international television programming nowadays.

Some just released photos…

…and a synopsis.

Space battles, quantum entanglement, and love triangles with snack dispensers, are just some of problems facing the boys from the Dwarf as they return in a brand new series. Red Dwarf X, the 10th series of the legendary sci-fi sitcom, airs exclusively on Dave and Dave HD this October.

Red Dwarf X returns with 6 x 30 min stand alone episodes, recorded in front of a studio audience and reunites the much loved original cast of Chris Barrie (Rimmer), Craig Charles (Lister), Danny John-Jules (Cat) and Robert Llewellyn (Kryten).

The brand new series, written and directed by Doug Naylor, begins with the Dwarfer’s mining ship still creaking though the wastelands of unchartered deep space, but the posse soon stumble upon the mysteriously abandoned SS Trojan. As they inspect the ship Rimmer receives an SOS distress call from an old foe and is suddenly faced with the dilemma of his life.

Always love triangles. Why is there never a love quadrangle? Or a love rhombus?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Rimmer receives a distress call from an old foe? Who would be just his foe and not anybody else’s on the crew? Unless the foe is from before he joined the Space Corps.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed