Red Dwarf X

This topic contains 58 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

According to photos released on reddwarf.co.uk, filming has begun. [LINK]

For the first time since the original run, the episodes are being shot in front of a live audience.

Filming will continue through January, and the episodes will be shown in the fall on the UK comedy network Dave (as with the Back To Earth specials). No word on any UK distribution channels other than going straight to DVD.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

What concerns me the most is that the set looks a lot like the prison sets from season 8. I sure as hell don’t want to see them back there again, back in the “barely funny zone”. I hope they’ve got some great writers for the new series.

An effects shot from Red Dwarf X can be seen here…

But here’s the bit you’re not expecting about this shot, from the official website [LINK]:

@RedDwarf.co.uk wrote:

…the decision has been made to take the visual effects back towards their roots – and so, as part of the final week of pickup shooting at Shepperton Studios, a special area has been given over to the second unit, in order that they can shoot space-bound sequences featuring actual, tangible ship miniatures. Other visual effects methods will of course be used in the series as and when appropriate – but the ships themselves will be models.

The new model shooting unit is being headed up by Peter Talbot, an experienced director of photography with a particularly impressive CV when it comes to miniature work in both movies and television. As well as working on iconic franchises such as Batman, Iron Man and James Bond, he also shot the miniatures for Duncan Jones’ Moon, a film not entirely dissimilar to Red Dwarf in its look and feel.

Depending on what medium they’re using to shoot all of this project, this could be a brilliant piece of futureproofing. If they’re shooting anything on film, that’s something that can be rescanned at a later date at an even higher-than-HD resolution, allowing the show to be upscaled with even greater fidelity. 20 years from now, when we’re at near-photographic video resolution, all this 1080 stuff is gonna seem kinda silly when it can’t be upscaled any better than 525-line videotape can now. (That being said, there’s every reason to believe that Red Dwarf X is being shot in HD rather than film. But one could dream.)

Also, hiring Talbot for this stuff was a stroke of brilliance. Moon had a fantastic look.

Filming has already wrapped; post-production is in full swing to get ready for a September airdate in the UK.

According to Robert “Kryten” Llewellyn:

It was recorded in front of an audience and was written and directed by Doug Naylor.

It is, I think I can say without prejudice, classic Red Dwarf, much closer to series 4,5 and 6 than anything else we’ve done since. We used very little CGI (some special effects enhanced by CGI wibbly wobbliness) but we do use a lot of model shots and they look ‘freakin’ awesome’ as young American chaps are known to say.

I hope he knows how much fans are going to get their hopes up when he goes invoking the ghost of seasons 4-6.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Heh. He said “wibbly wobbliness”. Now if only we can get him to say “Timey Wimey”.

I don’t know if I am excited about this or not. The last Red Dwarf series underwhelmed me. However, he did say this new one was more like 4,5,6 so maybe I’m a little excited.

Big news: no more stock library music, Howard Goodall is back on board to do new music for Red Dwarf X.

Bigger news: here’s the first publicity photo.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You have to admire how they change sets from not only season to season but sometimes episode to episode, and they never bother explaining it. Continuity, shmontinuity. I guess that sort of thing was thrown out the window pretty early after the adjustment of Lister’s ship ranking from year to year. First, he was #169, then at some point (although it may have been one of the novels) he was #1169, then he was #10169. I guess at some point early on they came to the conclusion that a ship six miles long might need more than a hundred and sixty-nine crew members on it.

@Steve W wrote:

Continuity, shmontinuity.

See also: Lister’s appendix being removed twice in the course of the series.

Production and post production are finished. Behind-the-scenes features for the inevitable DVD set are all that need to be finished. Now we’re just waiting on an airdate…

…nothing official, but my guess is early/mid September.

If that’s correct, then we will have new Doctor Who and new Red Dwarf on at the same time. 1988 all over again, baby.

Just tweeted: a sneak peek at the new bunkroom set.

I seem to remember the novels providing a somewhat valid explanation for the constant changes to the bunkroom: as Holly grew more senile, whole parts of the ship went offline, sometimes to the point of being sealed off and depressurized, especially if Holly allowed the ship to collide with something. They’d abandon the current sleeping quarters, remove what personal items they had time to remove, and would set up shop in other quarters. Since everyone on the ship was dead, they had officers’ quarters available to them instead of having to slum it, hence the bunkroom sets getting bigger and bigger and shinier. They’d also have to do this with whatever they were using as the control room too (i.e. seasons 3, 4, 5 using the ship’s science lab as the control room) for much the same reason – in a way, Red Dwarf is almost like the Ark from Starlost, we’ve never actually seen the bridge since the first few episodes. Hence they can get away with the constant changes. The reason the bunkroom would change even after they landed in some fairly posh quarters was that they couldn’t afford for there to be too much distance between the bunkroom and the de facto control room, what with everything always going perfectly smoothly during their travels and all.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t remember reading that explanation about the changing living quarters before. Which book was it in? I read the first two, but ended up buying the book on tape of The Last Human, which I only partially listened to before loaning it out to a co-worker who never gave it back and who is now long gone. There weren’t any novels after The Last Human, was there?

There was one more after that which never made it over here, “Backwards.”

I don’t remember which book it was in, as I haven’t read them in ages. Come to think of it, it may have been something from the “Smegazine,” the ridiculously entertaining RD-focused magazine that was in circulation in the early 90s. It may have come from an interview with the set designer who was trying to justify his habit of constantly changing things. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Do you have any copies of the Red Dwarf Smegazine still lying around? I used to love picking that one up along with UK Doctor Who mags whenever my local comic book shop could get their hands on ’em, but I’d love to find some issues that I don’t have. If you’ve got some copies, would you be willing to sell? Or would you happen to know of some rock I could look under to locate a PDF version of them?

Edit: Well, that took maybe 30 seconds to find some illicit copies for perusal. Too bad they’re not in PDF format so I could read on my Blackberry tablet.

I used to have most of the print run, but I haven’t seen them in years – to be honest, they may have vanished along with the latter half of the official Bablyon 5 magazine’s run that I used to have. I don’t think I’ve seen them in 10 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed