Ready Player One

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Books Ready Player One

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

As usual, unabridged.
    @Publisher Summery wrote:

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.

It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of 10,000 planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune—and remarkable power—to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday’s riddles are based in the pop culture he loved—that of the late 20th century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday’s icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes’s oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt—among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life—and love—in the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake.
    A quest for the ultimate prize.
    Are you ready?

©2011 Ernest Cline (P)2011 Random House Audio

Hello lot and lots of 1980s references.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I have the book in my Kindle. I started reading it back in March-April time frame. It didn’t hold my attention the first few pages. I’ll try again sometime. In the meantime I’m reading book three of Pratchett’s Long Earth series: The Long Mars.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Here is the Ready Player One Wiki for all of the references.

I will have to admit, this book does start out slowly as the author sets all the pieces up. The pace does not pick up until the protagonist, Wade Watts, actually gets the second key. However, the setup is key in enjoying the book, and I enjoyed all of the references from the 1970s/1980s and early computer history. Not only the obvious references are there, but some of the more obscure ones as well (Supaidāman anyone?). More importantly, it got all of the references RIGHT, and, as a child of the eighties, it was very hard for me to spot errors. I do have to admit that the author went overboard near the end with the final battle. They are actually working on adapting this to a movie, although I have to wonder how they are going to get all the rights.

OK, I had to smile as Wil Wheaton, who is the narrator of this book, references himself and Cory Doctorow at one point.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Ars Technica:

Spielberg on board for film adaptation of geek-centric Ready Player One
    Director who grew to fame in the ’80s fittingly tapped to direct ’80s-obsessed story

According to an exclusive report by Deadline, director Steven Spielberg is headed back to the big chair to direct the film adaptation of Ernest Cline’s ’80s-geek-gasm novel Ready Player One. The movie will be Spielberg’s first for Warner Brothers in 14 years; the last time he made a movie at the studio was 2001’s A.I.

The novel Ready Player One, released in 2011, is set in a near future obsessed with ’80s pop culture thanks to a treasure hunt in a global MMORPG/MUD/MUSH called “The OASIS.” The treasure hunt is centered around clues cloaked beneath layers of ’70s and ’80s ephemera—mainly movies, TV, video games, and music—with a multi-billion dollar prize waiting for the first person to solve all the puzzles. Centered on the character Wade Watts, a poor kid who rockets to fame near the beginning of the book when he solves the first major clue in the “Egg Hunt,” Ready Player One is a non-stop barrage of movie and TV quotes and references—at times coming so heavily that it’s hard to see the plot forest for the (Day-Glo green) trees.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed