Ready Player One trailer

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

New trailer from SDCC.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I listened to the audiobook. It is full of 1980’s references, including some which may not be usable.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’ve read the book and so has my office-mate. The 80’s references were buggin’ him a little because he felt it disrupted the flow of the narrative. Me: not so much. Overall I thought the book was good but not epic great. I thought the protagonist had it too easy. Sure, he had obstacles to overcome but I didn’t see him have any kind of existential crisis over what was happening to him. From the beginning he had a mission, he followed it through and he overcame his barriers and won. At the end I felt “that’s it?” I wanted a little more.

It was still entertaining and a basic good read.

Now the movie has problems for fans from the get-go. The book makes it quite clear that Wade, out protagonist, is overweight at the beginning of the story. In the trailer, you see him in the stacks and he is not overweight at all. The same is true with a couple other characters in the movie. That’s the Hollywood way, I guess.

Many of the 1980’s references will not make it to the movie but I would expect that since licensing can be a bitch. One thing I saw in he move that was not in the book: The Iron Giant. That was a 1990’s film and really has no place in the story. However, it’s likely they could not acquire the license for Ultraman or some of the other giant robots and the Iron Giant would do in a pinch.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Oh, you are talking about Supaidāman and the robot Leopardon. That was an licensing offshoot between Marvel and Toei ages ago, and has been extremely problematic. Wikipedia notes: “Because Spider-Man is a Marvel property, Toei was not allowed to rerun the series or use publicity stills of Spider-Man from the show without paying licensing fees to Marvel.”

Since Disney owns Marvel, and this is a Warner Bros. production, “there’s your problem”. You know what else is a Warner Bros. production? The movie Iron Giant released in 1999.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

God forbid Hollywood put an overweight person on anyone’s screens.

Never mind that Hurley was my favorite character on Lost.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed