Rare Donkey Kong 3 spinoff now playable in emulation

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming Rare Donkey Kong 3 spinoff now playable in emulation

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’d hesistate to call it a sequel, and it’s really little more than a Galaxian/Galaga inspired space shooter dressed up as an offshoot of DK3. [LINK]
    DK3

A fan-led effort to salvage Donkey Kong 3: The Great Counterattack has engineered a version of the rare Japanese game that can be played with a modern emulator.

DK3

Donkey Kong was one of many Nintendo properties licensed out to developer Hudson Soft in the 1980s to become disc-based games for Japanese home computers.

DK3

In December, a group of fans was able to pick up a copy of the game in an online auction for roughly $415. From there, members of the group gathered the tech they’d need to dump the Maxell CF-2D discs housing Donkey Kong 3: The Great Counterattack to a modern computer where the game could then be made to run with an emulator.

From a companion article on Kotaku, concerning the acquisition and dumping of the game… [LINK]

Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu (ドンキーコング3 大逆襲 ) or DKDG, for short, was released in October ’84 for the NEC PC-8801, PC-6601, and Sharp X1 computers by Hudson Soft. Not unlike other Nintendo spin-offs developed by Hudson in the mid 80s, DKDG was created as sort of a sequel to the Donkey Kong 3 arcade game. There are 20 unique stages, which loop around upon completion until game over. The game has no well-defined storyline. Apparently, according to the manual, Hudson was interested in hearing the players’ interpretations about the progression of the stages, and wanted them to send in their own stories. In other words, the story is totally subjective! The game’s mechanics are somewhat simpler than the original DK3 arcade game; Stanley no longer has the ability to jump and is free from the responsibility of defending his plants. This game is all about fighting off DK. The point is to clear the waves of incoming enemies, like any typical shoot ’em up. You still have to make sure the parachuting DK doesn’t make it to the ground, or else!

DK3

I’ve mirrored the actual .D88 file here so you can try it out for yourself.

DK3

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I watched the videos of the kid who got his hands on the ROM, and it didn’t look all that fun to me. But one thing it did was show me how to play Donkey Kong 3 – I had attempted to play it before but I never knew exactly how to play it. I believe the point is to shoot Donkey Kong directly in the rectum to make him climb a rope. Guess I’ll fire up an emulator and see if I’m right.

The Donkey Kong arcade games were kind of iffy for me… the first was great and iconic, the second wasn’t all that interesting and the third was totally un-engaging. I never really played any of the console/handheld sequels, either. It’s like Space Invaders. The first one caught lightning in a bottle and changed the public’s consciousness and their companies kept whoring out the name with constant sequels that don’t capture the charm or the spark of the original.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.