R.I.P. Miguel Ferrer

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek R.I.P. Miguel Ferrer

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Okay, granted, his only Star Trek connection was in being the hapless first officer of the Scotty-sabotaged U.S.S. Excelsior in Star Trek III, but he earned his paycheck in that movie with his facial expressions alone. Kinda young at 61. [LINK]

Miguel Ferrer, who had played Owen Granger on NCIS: Los Angeles since 2012 and co-starred with Jill Hennessy on CBS’ Crossing Jordan, died today of cancer. He was 61.

A veteran of 40-plus movies and scores of TV shows, Ferrer launched his career in the early 1980s with small guest shots on such series as Magnum, P.I., CHiPS and Cagney & Lacey and features including Heartbreaker, The Man Who Wasn’t There and Star Trek: III: The Search for Spock. He would go on to focus mostly on TV throughout that decade before landing the Twin Peaks role in 1990.

Ferrer is notable for his early breakout role in Paul Verhoeven’s Robocop (1987) as Bob Morton, the ambitious and sleazy corporate climber who spearheads the Robocop program to great success, only to be murdered by his envious boss.

The Santa Monica native toplined the short-lived Stephen J. Cannell-creator cop drama Broken Badges in 1991 and also starred in Lynch’s 1950s romp On the Air the following year. He appeared in a number of features during the 1990s but continued to star on short-run TV series including Fallen Angels and Al Franken’s LateLine.

Ferrer also was an accomplished drummer, playing in bands and touring with his mother and Bing Crosby and recording with the Who’s Keith Moon.

Dear 2017: this is not a pissing match. You don’t have to try to outdo 2016. Back the f off already.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I remember reading decades ago that one of his best friends was Bill Mumy of Lost In Space/Babylon 5 fame. Another sci-fi link.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed