R.I.P. Joyce Worley-Katz

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

From Facebook… [LINK]

RIP to the mother of video game journalism, Joyce Worley-Katz, who passed away yesterday.

Joyce, along with fellow legends Bill Kunkel and Arnie Katz, are the pioneers of American video game journalism, writing about video games before most of the general public was playing them. It started with the Arcade Alley column in Video magazine, eventually forming into Electronic Games Magazine. We pay homage to their creation with the very name of this project.

Writing about a brand new medium like that required them to create a vocabulary to describe some of it. Many of their terms are still used today.

Everyone please take a moment out to pay respects today to one of video gaming’s true pioneers.

I corresponded with Joyce very briefly several years ago, at Bill Kunkel’s urging, while trying to piece together enough of the behind-the-scenes story of the Odyssey2 to perhaps get a book going. Sadly, most of the people she pointed me toward – who she had stayed in touch with – were already gone. What notes I did gather… well… they’re part of the backbone of the Select Game podcast today.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed