R.I.P. Jerry Doyle – Babylon 5’s Mr. Garibaldi

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen R.I.P. Jerry Doyle – Babylon 5’s Mr. Garibaldi

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Goddamnit, 2016. Get the hell out of our galaxy. I could never square with the guy’s politics, but I loved his performance. And even his radio show was more entertaining than most in the right-leaning political spectrum. [LINK]

Jerry Doyle — best known for his role on “Babylon 5” — died Wednesday … TMZ has learned.
    Sources tell us … a call was made to his Las Vegas home yesterday afternoon after he was found unresponsive. It’s unclear how the political radio talk show host and actor died … but we’re told no foul play is suspected. An autopsy is pending.
    He was 60.

A rep for Doyle’s family has confirmed the news via his Twitter account.

JMS’ statement on the Epic Times website (founded by Jerry himself). [LINK]

When it came to politics, Jerry Doyle and I disagreed on, well, pretty much everything. Politically, Jerry was just to the right of Attila the Hun. There is a line in Babylon 5 where his character, Michael Garibaldi, suggests that the way to deal with crime is to go from electric chairs to electric bleachers. That line is quintessential Jerry Doyle. I say this with confidence because I overheard him saying it at lunch then stole it for the show.

Despite our differences, when Jerry ran for congress as a Republican not long after Babylon 5 ended, I donated to his campaign. Not because I agreed with him, but because I respected him; because there was one area in which we agreed: the vital intersection between the arts of acting and storytelling. In that respect, Jerry was a consummate professional. Regardless of whatever was going on in his life, whether it was marital issues, a broken arm, forced couch-surfing with Bruce and Andreas or other problems, he never once pulled a prima donna on us; he showed up every day on time, knew his lines, and insisted that the guest cast live up to the standards of the main cast, to the point of roughing up one guest star who showed up not knowing his lines.

Trust me when I say that after Jerry got done with him, every day he showed up, he knew his lines. And then some.

He was funny, and dangerous, and loyal, and a prankster, and a pain in the ass; he was gentle and cynical and hardened and insightful and sometimes as dense as a picket fence…and his passing is a profound loss to everyone who knew him, especially those of us who fought beside him in the trenches of Babylon 5. It is another loss in a string of losses that I cannot understand. Of the main cast, we have lost Richard Biggs, Michael O’Hare, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, and now Jerry Doyle, and I’m goddamned tired of it.

So dear sweet universe, if you are paying attention in the vastness of interstellar space, take a moment from plotting the trajectory of comets and designing new DNA in farflung cosmos, and spare a thought for those who you have plucked so untimely from our ranks…and knock it off for a while.

Because this isn’t fair.

And Jerry Doyle would be the first person to tell you that. Right before he put a fist in your face. Which is what I imagine he’s doing right now, on the other side of the veil.

J. Michael Straczynski

k8trackk8track
    Participant

Oh, man. Jerry Doyle.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/28/jerry-doyle-babylon-5-dead/

Hell of a year.

k8trackk8track
    Participant

I just now saw this; I didn’t realize it was here and had started another thread in the General SF forum. You can delete that if you want.

Suck it, 2016.

I merged them into a single…thing.

Reactions from Jerry’s co-stars on Facebook and the Twitter…

John Copeland
    I am writing this with a heavy heart, having just learned of Jerry Dolye’s passing. The world is a little drabber today, without Jerry. He was a passionate, larger than life person.

I still recall when Jerry came into to read for the part of Garibaldi for the Babylon 5 pilot. The Mary Jo Slater, our casting director, asked him what part he was there for and, in what I would learn over the next several years, he responded with a typical Doyle reply, “The part I’m here to get!” He was always upbeat and fully committed to whatever undertaking he was involved in.

He was a consummate professional and during the five year run of Babylon 5 was always ready with a joke or playful remark to the crew. He was a great person to have on set and work with. I am glad to have been able to call Jerry one of my friends.

Bruce Boxleitner, Jerry and I had a few memorable adventures in the UK after a Babylon 5 convention in Blackpool. He was always great to hang with, enjoy a few adult beverages over a cigar.

Even though my politics were not the same as Jerry’s, I found myself at a fundraiser for him when he ran for Congress. It was not even a question of politics, it was supporting Jerry, because no matter what, he was someone who would have made a difference.

A truly sad day, indeed. You are missed, Jerry – RIP.

Robin Atkin Downes ‏@Robin_A_Downes
    @jerrydoyle love to you and your family…I will think of you whenever I’m up early enough to see the sunrise…

Bill Mumy
    The last time I saw Jerry Doyle was exactly one year ago. We participated in a Babylon 5 cast panel at ComicCon and then signed autographs together for a few hours. Jerry and I sat next to each other and had time to chat and catch up. He had recently recovered from a terrible mugging in Germany, that had resulted in him having been hospitalized with amnesia and a metal plate and many stitches added to his skull. He didn’t downplay the seriousness of it, but he also shrugged it off. He seemed indestructible.

I used to call Jerry “The Republican Keith Richards”. He liked that. He lived life pedal to the medal. He was bold. Jerry and I almost always got along really good, and we almost always never agreed on anything.

Jerry was confidant, willing to jump into the thick of anything at the drop of a hat… He was smart, fearless, funny, foul mouthed and cocky. He could bullshit about anything with anyone and hold his own. I worked in an isolated studio with Jerry on B5 for five years. It was easy acting with Jerry. He was a good natural actor. Despite the fact that he’d fly in from some ridiculous far away location having not slept for three days straight, he never messed up on camera. He once broke his arm filming a scene and insisted that he stay on set to finish the scene before going to the hospital. Yeah. He was a tough guy. For real. The cast and crew of Babylon 5 ate together every day. Jerry always made those lunches… memorable.

Babylon 5 was a very impressive television series and I’m glad I was a part of it for its entire run. But… we have lost way too many principal cast members… It’s very disturbing. Rick Biggs. Andreas Katsulas. Michael O’Hare. Jeff Conaway… and now Jerry.

Get some sleep, pal. And although knowing you it’ll take awhile… please… Rest in Peace.

Mira Furlan ‏@FurlanMira
    R.I. P. one & only Jerry Doyle! You’ll be missed.

Claudia Christian
    It is with incredible sadness that we say goodbye to Jerry Doyle. He was a brilliant man, a joy to work with and a fantastically funny individual. We will miss him deeply. Please remember him with love…..I will miss his laugh and his light.

Bruce Boxleitner ‏@boxleitnerbruce
    I am so devastated at the news of the untimely death of my good friend @jerrydoyle. During the B5 years, he was a great pal, RIP Garibaldi.

Scott Kelly ‏@StationCDRKelly
    Just learned my friend @jerrydoyle has died. Very sad to hear. Condolences to his friends and family.

Not too many people are memorialized by a fictional space station commander and a real space station commander in short order.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.