R.I.P. Herb Solow, the man who sold NBC on Star Trek

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek R.I.P. Herb Solow, the man who sold NBC on Star Trek

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Herb's credit
    [LINK]

Solow was brought in by Lucille Ball after her divorce from Desi Arnaz to help revive Desilu Studios, where he helped develop and sell “Star Trek” to NBC — after CBS originally turned it down because it already had “Lost in Space” — as well as “Mission: Impossible” and “Mannix” to CBS.

After Gulf & Western purchased Desilu, Solow left to become VP of worldwide television production at MGM, which had gotten out of the television business. Solow revived the TV arm, developing shows including “Then Came Bronson,” “Medical Center” and “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father,” and sold all three in the same week to the three networks.

Herb from Atlantis

k8trackk8track
    Participant

I’ve read many, many books on Star Trek, and I think my favorite one was the book he co-wrote with Bob Justman. Heck of a read.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Sorry to hear of his passing. He seemed a great guy from what I’ve read. I started – but never finished – the book he and Bob Justman wrote. Interesting read. I should dig up that book and start reading it again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.