R.I.P. Anton Yelchin, Chekov from the new Trek movies

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 22nd / 23rd Century R.I.P. Anton Yelchin, Chekov from the new Trek movies

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Whaaaa!!? 😮 “Anton Yelchin, ‘Star Trek’ Actor, Dies at 27” [LINK]

Anton Yelchin, a charismatic and rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new “Star Trek” films, has died at the age of 27.

He was killed in a fatal traffic collision early Sunday morning, his publicist, Jennifer Allen confirmed. Yelchin started small with roles in indie films and various television shows, before breaking out in films like the crime thriller “Alpha Dog” and the teenage comedy “Charlie Bartlett.”

His biggest role to date has been in the rebooted “Star Trek” films – the third of which, “Star Trek Beyond” comes out in July. Yelchin, an only child, was born in Russia.

He also co-starred with David Tennant in the Fright Night remake a few years back.

I loved Anton Yelchin so much. He was a true artist – curious, beautiful, courageous. He was a great pal and a great son. I’m in ruins.

— John Cho (@JohnTheCho) June 19, 2016

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Freak accident.

I wonder if Walter Koenig will be in attendance at the funeral.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

One suspects it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

k8track
    Participant

Dear 2016,

I hate you.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Variety:

Anton Yelchin’s Jeep That Fatally Pinned Him Was Recalled for ‘Rollaway Risk’

The vehicle that fatally pinned Anton Yelchin on Sunday outside his Studio City home had recently been recalled due to “rollaway risk.”

Yelchin drove a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Select 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees — manufactured between July 16, 2012, and Dec. 22, 2015 — were recalled in April by manufacturer Fiat Chrysler Automobiles for a transmission issue that made it possible for the vehicle to roll away after being parked. A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study investigated 14 complaints of “rollaway” after shifts to the “park” gear.

“Drivers erroneously concluding that their vehicle’s transmission is in the ‘park’ position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged,” the NHTSA concluded.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Apparently, the electronic gear shift in that model Jeep is a very unusual design, and there’s a lot of people who get confused whether the car is in park or drive.

How much heat will Jeep catch for this? People love to go crazy when celebrities die too early, they want somebody to pin blame on. Michael Jackson didn’t die of a prescription drug abuse, his doctor must have killed him, even though Michael was using the most dangerous surgical anesthetic on the market every night to go to sleep. I saw on the front of a tabloid the other day that they want to reopen Robin Williams case because people can’t accept that he killed himself, it must have been foul play, somebody they loved couldn’t have ended their own life. Prince had to have been murdered, a opioid drug addict that’s about to go into rehab in a few hours wouldn’t have taken a bunch of drugs for one last high before being forced to go clean. The public want somebody to be punished for celebrity deaths, even if its of their own doing. And Yelchin’s car was recalled a couple months ago for problems of that nature. I wonder if Jeep/Fiat/Chrysler are going to catch hell for this one.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The other day the Today show demonstrated that the gear shifter, when put in park, can actually pop into neutral due to a spring in the mechanism and a poorly designed latch in the device. They interviewed people who actually witnessed the Jeep rolling down their driveway (one rolled toward their garage). So, yes, if someone wants to give Jeep hell for this, they have a good case.

Personally, I always apply the handbrake to my car anytime I park it and especially if I have to leave the car idling while I open the garage door (primitive me: no automatic garage door opener). I notice that lots of people – especially those with automatics – hardly ever use their hand brakes (or even know where it is). No doubt Anton didn’t use the hand brake (along with all the other Jeep owners mentioned earlier) otherwise we would have the tragic news this week.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Apparently, that model Jeep has an electronic emergency brake. No lever, it’s a push-button style. I can understand why they did it considering how many idiots drive with their emergency brake still locked, but maybe an entirely electronic one wasn’t the answer, maybe a disengagement mechanism if the car is freshly started, in drive and accelerating past a certain speed.

Flack
    Participant

If they’re going to make an electronic parking brake, why not just engage it every time the car goes in to park?

I went to visit a friend in mid-high one time and saw his mother had broken both of her legs. My friend said that she was a mail carrier and had leaned out of her car while delivering mail and fallen out. The car had run over her legs, hit a wall, bounced back, and run over her two more times.

I’ve never been able to completely work out the physics on that one, and when I do, it’s never with a straight face.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@flack wrote:

If they’re going to make an electronic parking brake, why not just engage it every time the car goes in to park?

I think the vast majority of owners of automatic cars assume that is already the case and the primary reason why they never use their hand brake. Your suggestion makes perfect sense, Rob, as that is a big reason I and many others use hand brakes: to keep the car in place while it is idling or when they park their car. I don’t have a garage door opener for my garage (lazy and cheap) and so, when I leave every morning, I pull the car out to the driveway, put the gear in neutral, apply the hand brake and get out close the garage door. I do the reverse in the evening when I get home. If I had an automatic transmission, I’d put the vehicle in park and also apply the hand brake. Your suggestion would save me a step.

Maybe Lt. Arex gets a chance in live action now? Looks like Chekov’s off to the Reliant already. [LINK] Think carefully about clicking that link, because it proceeds to spoil the hell out of the fourth movie.

Producer J.J. Abrams has decided that Anton Yelchin’s Pavel Chekov character will not be re-cast for future “Star Trek” movies.

“I would say there’s no replacing him,” Abrams told the Toronto Sun. “There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”

Yelchin, who died June 19 in a freak accident, had played the Chekov character in the three reboots. “Star Trek Beond,” the third film in the revamped franchise premieres on Wednesday at Comic-Con in San Diego and opens in theaters on Friday.

Abrams told the newspaper he could not disclose if the next “Star Trek” film would include the death of Chekov’s character. “I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it,” he said.

There are plenty of replacements for Chekov waiting for a chance at the limelight in JJ Trek…

• Lt. DeSalle
    • Lt. Kyle (or as Mission Log Podcast says, “Kaaaaaahhhhhhllllll”)
    • Lt. Arex
    • Lt. Ilia
    • Lt. Saavik
    • Battle Cat

I would prefer that JJverse Chekov gets a new assignment rather than having him killed offscreen.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Saavik or Ilia could be interesting, and add more women to the bridge crew. Arex would be a welcome non-human to the bridge, but as we saw on the bridge of the Kelvin, just looks a bit like a blinking orange lump if done with practical effects.

Maybe they can think outside the box – there were a few other people in Chekov’s seat on the original show after all, so they can change folks out a bit. Out of the four species that founded the Federation, we only regularly see Vulcans and Humans. Tellerites and Andorians haven’t had much screen time on nuTrek. Shoot, throw in a Suliban or a Xindi. It would be nice if they could do something other than put a a generic human character in the role.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed