Primeval: The New World

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

I’m not a huge Primeval fan – it’s always seemed like a bit of a mash-up of Jurassic Park and Sliders (now there’s a combination for you) – but this is kind of interesting news. Do I file it under American/Canadian sci-fi or British sci-fi? [LINK]

SPACE has ordered the new original drama series PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD. The 13-episode, one-hour scripted action/adventure drama is a new Canadian series that builds on the mythology of the U.K. hit, PRIMEVAL, one of the most-watched programs on SPACE. Developed in association with Omni Film Productions (DEFYING GRAVITY, ARCTIC AIR) and the producers of the original U.K. series, Impossible Pictures, SPACE will act as lead broadcaster on PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD. Production begins in Vancouver this winter.

PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD follows a specialized team of animal experts and scientists that investigates the appearance of temporal anomalies and battles both prehistoric and futuristic creatures. The series boasts new Canadian characters and stories created by an all-Canadian team of writers. Set in Vancouver against the backdrop of the Pacific Northwest, PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD takes the thrills and gripping storylines that fans of the British series have grown to love and creates something completely unique that’s darker and scarier than the current U.K. series. At the same time, story and character development will move between the two series, uniting different plotlines.

“This is a truly unique opportunity, building a parallel yet independent series that will appeal to existing fans and new audiences,” said Corrie Coe, Senior Vice-President, Independent Production, Bell Media. “This new Canadian series offers a fresh world of possibilities in terms of characters and stories, while including some favourite elements from the original U.K. Primeval.”

There are times that SPACE sounds so much better than SyFy. And then they pop for their own version of this show and my illusions are shattered. 😆 Still, it’s nice that for once, Canada will be filmed as Canada, and won’t be standing in for Oddly Unspecified Areas Of The United States. That’s fewer fake U.S. car tags they’ve got to buy for the prop department.

What’s your take on this? The only use I’ve had for Primeval, frankly, is that it spawned a line of action figures in the same scale (by the same company) as the Doctor Who toys, providing a handy source of female characters who could stand in for Bernice, Lucie or Charley for action-figure-shelf purposes. 😛

Steve WSteve W
    Participant

I’ve never heard of Arctic Air, and I couldn’t find it on the sites where one might acquire such a thing for perusal.

I watched some of Primeval, but never got too deeply into it, unlike my sister and brother-in-law who loved the show. It got a little confusing for a casual viewer to pick up. I hope the new series does well for SPACE, and hopefully they’ll spend a few bucks and try to make it good. BBC America show Primeval, don’t they? Will they be showing the new Canuck version also?

Some more news on Primeval: The New World [LINK]…

The new series – subtitled New World – has been described as “older, darker and scarier” than its predecessor, with a “younger, sexier” cast.

The 13-episode run will film in Vancouver and will also be broadcast on the channel Space in Canada.

Primeval co-creator Tim Haines previously insisted that the new show will be mostly separate from the original series. “There is a little bit of crossover [with the UK show] in the first episode, and then we’ll see how it goes after that,” he explained. “Mostly they’ll be getting on with it themselves.”

Primeval: New World will air on UK channel Watch in late 2012.

So… is it older and scarier or younger and sexier? I’m confused.

Apparently doesn’t matter which – cancelled after 13 episodes. With no announcements since 2010 about new episodes of the UK series, and a movie version in limbo at Warner Bros. (which may or may not have any ties to the series anyway), looks like this franchise is, for the moment, extinct.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.