Playstation Classic

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 9 hours, 10 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

So, at release, the Playstation Classic was $100. (No, I’m not going to play that penny game. If it’s $99.99, it’s really $100). Since early June, the price is now $30. $30 is a easier bite than $100.

Now, all I have to do is hook it up to a TV and play with it.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Honestly, it seems kind of tempting to me, but in the end it’s just an emulation machine. And they don’t even have the settings for the emulator set up properly (for that you need a Logitech keyboard to access the menu system). I’d much rather run emulation on my laptop or desktop. The only problem with that is finding the properly encoded ROMs for the games I want.

I’m looking forward to the TurboGrafx-16 mini console. Not just for the game selection, but also for the USB controller that comes with it. I’ve been wanting a Turbo/PC Engine USB joypad for a while to work with my emulator, so this all works out perfectly.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The game selection on the Playstation Classic isn’t…well, it may line up with other people’s list of favorites, but it’s far from the best of what was available. Since the Playstation 1 disks were CD-ROMs, none of them exceeds 80mb…might be best to just get the ePSXE emulator going, get a USB controller (or a USB adapter for original Playstation controllers), get some disk images, and go from there. That controller might run you almost as much as a PS Classic once you factor the shipping in, but you’d have a much wider selection of games at the end of the day, including an effortless (and inexpensive) path for playing imports. (Says the guy who spent ridiculous money on physical copies of PS1 imports back in the day.)

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Considering that I’ve never owned a console gaming system (no, really), I don’t have any positive or negative memories. I’ve also read the not-ready-for-primetime reviews that were available on release, which gave me real pause on getting this at the $100 price point. At $30, it’s a much easier pill to swallow.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

And, if you look closely at the Amazon Prime page today…

Amazon-com-Play-Station-Classic-Video-Games-Goo-2019-07-15-08-11-17

Earl just needs to scrounge up a USB power adapter by Thursday.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Parking this info here to perhaps try out at a later date. [LINK]

A set of willing tinkerers have blown the PlayStation Classic wide open, revealing a tasty menu to help tweak and boost game settings and unlock support for a plethora of PlayStation games you can add to the device yourself.

Be warned, though. While engaging with the debug menu on the PlayStation Classic shouldn’t void your warranty, the changes you make could be irreversible.

In fact, if you want to add extra games to your PlayStation Classic you can do so by simply plugging in a USB stick and following a few simple steps. However, you do need to be careful as this process could not only break your PlayStation Classic, but you’ll need your own ROMs for the games you want to play.

It just so happens that I took the step, before selling most of my original PS1 discs (including imports), of making sure I had disc images for each. I see no reason that imports would do any harm, unless you try to run any PAL games.

Reading further down the article, it seems that the only real risk of doing “irreversible harm” is:

Make sure to not remove the Flash Drive while playing or while the unit is in use. Also, it’s not known if all games will run on PlayStation Classic without issues so don’t be surprised if you encounter some problems.

I probably wouldn’t try any really “big” games like Dune 2000 or the Command & Conquer series, which were originally PC titles and whose PS1 versions would occasionally cause my actual PS1 to crash way back when. But stuff like the various Namco Museum volumes…probably quite all right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.