Playmates TNG 1701-D Bridge

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Collectibles Playmates TNG 1701-D Bridge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Notice how no one does “big” playsets anymore? The Kenner Death Star, the G.I. Joe aircraft carrier, the two big TARDIS control room playsets…contrast that with the 2009 Star Trek movie, where their idea of a bridge playset was a mat upon which a handful of setpieces could be placed (helm console, captain’s chair, all of those stand-up glass “screens” that, as a moviegoer, you just know are there to explode and sense glass all over the place during a battle scene).

One of the big ones I’d never gotten was the Enterprise-D bridge from Playmates’ heyday as the Star Trek toy licensee. Thanks to a fortuitous thrift store find by my friend Vic Sage, this gap has now been filled by a very clean, intact specimen.

Bridge
    The first thing to note is that this thing is huge – it could take up a small coffee table. You could put a very large crock pot inside it. Various walls, doors, etc. can snap off or on as needed – it’s constructed very much like a filming set would be, with “wild walls” so the camera can get in for interesting angles. As such, if you’re going to put this puppy on a shelf, you have numerous display options – you’re not limited to this overhead view.

Bridge
    It “compresses” the space between the two helm consoles and the three command chairs to an almost ridiculous degree. But it would’ve been even bigger without that, so that’s the compromise.

Bridge
    Here’s a view facing forward from the gap left by removing the doors to the conference room (not included – you’re on your own there, nobody makes playsets out of conference rooms). At the base of the support for the tactical “horseshoe” is a button that’ll flash red alert lights and play the appropriate sound for a few seconds if you have batteries in it.

Bridge
    The rear computer consoles are also “compressed” a bit…

Bridge
    …as is the viewscreen, but the lengths they went to trying to be faithful to the look and “geography” of the bridge is impressive.

Total price tag for what frequently sells on eBay and at conventions for upward of $70, years after it was on the store shelves?

A buck.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

my friend Vic Sage

You buried the lede here… you know The Question? Cool!

Did it come in a box? It looks like it probably wouldn’t have survived without one.

A buck is a sweet, amazing deal for that. I don’t thrift store shop anymore, since eBay people have not only stripped anything remotely of interest from every shop around here, but in the case of my favorite thrift, leave a business card tacked to a corkboard at the thrift touting their eBay used video game store. So there’s absolutely no reason to ever check that place again.

Earl, I think you need to recast The Next Generation with an array of action figures from other franchises. Han Solo as captain, VINCENT as Data, Aeryn Sun as Tasha Yar, that kind of thing. Post lots of pictures!

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I think you need to recast The Next Generation with an array of action figures from other franchises

You read my mind…stay tuned.

And no…not boxed, which makes its very clean state even more mind-boggling.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Also… did I mention the transporter? I should’ve mentioned the transporter. It attaches to the bridge somehow, and, of course, it’s all done with mirrors.

Transporter

Transporter

Transporter

Transporter

Transporter

Transporter

Again…a dollar.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.