Phosphor Dot Fossils plays…Commodore 64 games

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming Phosphor Dot Fossils plays…Commodore 64 games

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, I get it into my head that I’m going to make another attempt at setting up a Commodore 64 emulator and play some games. I’ve tried it before, many years ago, but could never find the right BIOS files. So, I download VirtualC64. It pops up a screen saying that it needs four files to work. I go find what I believe are the correct files, drop them in, just to have it tell me it doesn’t recognize the format. I find other files, drop them in, only to have it not notice. There’s approximately one YouTube how-to video, that completely skips over that part. Eventually I discover that there’s little empty socket icons next to the notices of missing files, and I have to drop them directly onto those and not the giant panels that say “drop files here”. So, I finally get it running. Finally.

I have a RetroLink USB Atari joystick, so I plug that in. The configuration section of VirtualC64 is… clunky. I’ve gotten used to the OpenEmu design, where people put real thought into how you interact with the program and configure controllers, and made it very intelligent and user-friendly. That’s not the route VirtualC64 took. Eventually I figure out why it won’t work, configure the best that I can, and get a game running. Then I discover there’s a problem – pushing down on the joystick resets the emulator. Why does it do this? I can’t fathom the reason. So, here I am, unable to use another badly designed emulator. I just downloaded the entire C64 library off Archive.org, and I can’t even play anything. I wish these engineers would put some thought into how people use their software. It’s not as bad as, say, the Dolphin emulator; I’ve never thrown a punch in my life but I swear I’ll beat the hell out of the people who designed the controller configuration system if I ever meet them.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Here’s the Super Mario port that was getting a lot of buzz a while back. I really enjoyed it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.