Peter David suffers stroke

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Books Peter David suffers stroke

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

From Peter David’s blog [LINK]…

We were on vacation in Florida when I lost control of the right side of my body. I cannot see properly and I cannot move my right arm or leg. We are currently getting the extent of the damage sorted out and will report as further details become clarified.

PAD

His wife has posted an update [LINK]…

As stated yesterday on his web log, Peter had a stroke. So we are at the beginning of what is going to be a long road. We have a diagnosis, which is a small stroke in the Pons section of his brain. Now we have to figure out where we go from here and how we get Peter back to what he was before the stroke. We know that a total recovery is slim because damage to the brain doesn’t go away but the brain can be trained to work around the damage and give Peter back what he has lost.

I am dealing with a lot of woulda, coulda, and shoulda issues right now. But we are where we are and we are working out a plan of recovery.

So… not good news… but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

For a minute, I read that as “Peter Davison”, and got upset thinking that we might not get a cameo of him in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode.

So, how old is Peter David (Isabella) anyway? I didn’t think he was a prime candidate for a stroke.

It’s hard to be a sci-fi and former comic geek and for some reason managed to not read one of his stories. I think the first time I read some of his work was his first issue writing the Marvel New Universe series Justice, and I was hooked right away. That’s right, his work made me want to read the New Universe! A bold statement if there ever was one. I also used to read his column in the Comics Buyer’s Guide and enjoy it (which is why I tacked on the name Isabella earlier – Tony Isabella, another columnist, announced that he was upset that Peter David had two first names rather than a proper first and last, so he decreed that he would be adopted into the family, airbrushed in to all the family photos, and would hereby be able to call himself Peter David Isabella. Ah, good times).

I think the most important thing to remember right now is that he’s still able to communicate, so it could have been much worse. If there wasn’t any brain damage other than motor functions, he could still be able to write if he so desires, or at least dictate to an assistant. So he can still provide for his family. It would be terrible to have a complete physical disconnect and be trapped in his own body with an intact mind but little muscle control. It’s one of my own fears, being a burden to my family and unable to move. Hopefully he can cope with what kind of damage he’s taken and get closer to being his old self.

Make no mistake, even with a mild stroke, it’s a bitch to bounce back from. My dad had both big ones and small ones, and it was never this easy thing to rebound from. Depending on what part of the brain it hits, boom, you suddenly don’t know how to walk or feed yourself or wipe your ass anymore, and suddenly you’re an adult human being with most of your mental faculties intact, trying to figure out how one-year-olds make moving around look so easy.

He’s 56, so he’s eligible to join the club. Really, depending on a lot of factors, age isn’t the only determinant.

Me, I just want to go quickly, in a horrifying and yet hilarious dirigible accident.

Apparently, things are looking up for PAD – he’s writing Spider-Man 2099. [LINK]

Yes, I will be writing the new Spider-Man 2099 comic. When word of this first circulated weeks ago, I really did NOT know I’d be on board. Marvel only contacted me two weeks ago about it.

The first issue ships in July. Be sure to be there.

Glad to see he’s recovered enough to resume doing what he does.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed