Other Space: Red Dwarf Clone?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Other Space: Red Dwarf Clone?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Other Space Is Basically Red Dwarf USA, Take Two

Eh. I’ll watch it. The pilot at least. It has Joel Hodgson and Tracy Beaulieu so it can’t be all bad. It even has that funny guy from the AT&T commercials.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I didn’t see Trace Beaulieu on it anywhere. It seemed pretty fun, although it’s hard to judge its humor from just a trailer. I’m going to have to watch this one.

It’s a hard thing for anybody who wants to develop a science-fiction centered comedy, everybody wants to compare it to Red Dwarf. I think this show”s more like Hyperdrive than Red Dwarf, honestly.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

You won’t find Trace on the trailer because he plays the voice for the robot (or robots). I read that somewhere on in a different article or on imdb.

If we’re lucky he’ll make a cameo as some kind of crazed scientist on Earth. 😉

Note to Grant/Naylor and the DAVE Channel:

If you don’t make Red Dwarf, someone else is going to try. And it’s just going to diminish everyone’s fond memories of the original.

Love,
    Earl

P.S. Ditto what Steve said about Hyperdrive.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And, now I’ve gone on a Red Dwarf YouTube bender. I’m currently watching a two-hour documentary of the making of season 10. Now I know why Holly didn’t come back, their budget was tiny and they kept slicing it down even further. And I finally saw the Red Dwarf American “extra” footage, the re-filmed bits with Terry Farrell playing the Cat. It was slightly better than the first US pilot, but that’s not saying much.

Watched the Other Space premiere; it’s actually not terrible. I’m hoping they really take the piss out of the Voyager-esque setup. (The first aliens they meet are practically a rehash of a story Voyager did at least three times.) Joel’s character is a lot of fun; a scene-stealer used sparingly.

I’ll keep watching unless it just starts to stink to high heaven.

It’s a bit uneven, but I’m hooked enough at this point that I wouldn’t mind seeing them do another season. This is better than Hyperspace, and better than most American attempts at sci-fi-sitcom (then again, I’ve had migraines that were better viewing than Homeboys In Outer Space).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It does have a heavy Hyperdrive feel to it. I absolutely love having Joel Hodgson being a weirdo in a jumpsuit with a robot friend that talks like Trace Beaulieu. I’m halfway through the episode and I’m already annoyed by the ads. Commercials just remind me why I would rather pay $3 on iTunes just to avoid them.

Edit: I finished the eighth and final episode, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It’s a lot like Hyperdrive in that I found it funny but only once or twice did I have some really good laugh out loud moments. I did find the season finale to be a bit of a letdown, I was hoping it’d have a little better ending. If they do decide to make a second season of it, I would be willing to put up with more annoying, repetitive streaming commercials.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.