Oooooops

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

The database for the original forums somehow got corrupted. In my attempts to restore them, I might have made things even worse.

I finally opted to start from scratch. Since we had a very small user base, I don’t think this is too much of a crushing blow, but losing the wealth of original topics that the handful of us had generated… ouch. I’m still investigating possible ways to retrieve/reintegrate that material. This version of the forum is running off of a completely new database, however.

Hopefully the usual suspects will sign up and get the place hopping again. It’s kind of nice having our own little geek hangout (there aren’t enough of those on the internet, you know?).

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just posted something today too. I bet no one even read it before it died. 🙁

Oh, well. Thanks for getting the replacement board up and running so quickly.

I’m truly sorry about the massive topic-extinction – that’s the part that bugs me most about this. For a handful of guys, we actually had some good topics going.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Ah, to be home again. I was confused why the forums looked so odd and my name and password were both rejected. I thought maybe I wasn’t wanted around these here parts anymore, and this was your unsubtle way of getting rid of me (I have a healthy fear of rejection, can you tell?) It’s good to be back, but it’s a little sad to see all those topics gone. I hope you put a notice at the top of the forums stating what happened, so new people just checking the place out won’t get the wrong idea that it’s totally dead here. I’m sure they get the same idea with the Retroputing forums, considering nearly all of the interesting conversations going on take place in the private section there.

Don’t think of it as a crash, think of it as a reimagining or a reboot, BSG style. Now I have to find an interesting avatar pic again. Choices, choices…

I increased both the file size and actual height/width available for avatars, and they can be uploaded to the site’s server to make life a little easier.

Now that Steve’s back, the Forum For Four Folks is back in business. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I dug around the ol’ hard drive and made a few appropriately sized avatars to use, now I don’t know which ones to post. So I might just do new ones weekly, unless I get lazy or warm up to one. Some are general sci-fi, some are Hubble images, some are cats wot haz cheezeburgers. So hard to decide.

Holy crap, I knew I forgot something.

Star Wars section added.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

How about a Battlestar Galactica section? You had one before and then it mysteriously disappeared. Please?

Added under “American & Canadian SF”.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Cool. Thanks! Now I can post my long-a** tome about BSG classic and why I’m not a fan. 😀

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You accidentally put the Winrich Kolbe thread in the Star Trek section twice, but clicking on the second one brings up the statement that the topic doesn’t exist. And yet it still shows up on the 24th Century page, and shows it being unread even though I’ve clicked through it. Weird.

Yeah, I haven’t been able to kill the phantom limb there even at the admin level. There were a lot of internal server errors going on across the board at the time I was posting that. I’m assuming that was a Dreamhost thing.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I guess, as a result of that glitch, Winrich Kolbe has become immortal…at least on this forum.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The site ate my reply about the V.I.N.C.E.N.T. prop auction, and I’ve clicked on the Sid Meier computer software bundle thread three times and the forum has stopped showing things as already read.

Try clicking “mark forums read” at the main forum menu. It may be time to toss your cookies.

Your browser cookies, I mean.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed