Official trailer for ST:TNG:HD

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Official trailer for ST:TNG:HD

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

That’s a valid point. It’s not as if we haven’t seen these before, and there’s no “Wow, what did they change?” factor like there was with the HD-remastered original Trek episodes’ CGI scenes. I wonder how many will opt to wait for a price drop before buying.

Extras for season 2, due out in December, have been announced by TVshowsonDVD.com [LINK]…

Cost is $129.99 SRP. Here’s a list of included bonus material (which consists of both extras from previous DVD release of this title, plus new items produced for this Blu-ray version), followed by the packaging and a pre-order link:

Promos
    Gag Reel
    Featurette: Archival Mission Log: Departmental Briefing Year 2: Production (SD)
    Audio Commentary with Dan Curry, Don Berman and Mike Okuda
    Audio Commentary with Melinda Snodgrass and Robert Scheerer
    Featurette: Reunification: 25 Years After The Next Generation (HD)
    The Measure of a Man (HD Extended Version)
    The Measure of a Man (Hybrid Extended Version)
    Featurette: Archival Mission Log: Inside Starfleet Archives: Penny Juday – Star Trek Coordinator (SD)
    Featurette: Making It So: Continuing The Next Generation (HD)
    Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year 2 (SD)
    Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year 2 (SD)
    Archival Mission Log: Departmental Analysis Year 2: Memorable Missions (SD)

“I am taking her to sick bay, where she will donate blood plasma until we have enough cash to buy the season 2 Blu-Rays.”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Well, let me qualify that: it was followed up on, in the books, whose writers decided that the claymation critters were some kind of “dark side” of the Trill symbionts from DS9. Lame.

Aaaaaaand…. that’s why I don’t consider books to be canon. It’s one of those things that book writers seem to want to do, connect the dots from different episodes to make them all make sense… to the writer. Has there been a single character that’s ever appeared in a Star Wars movie that hasn’t shown up in a Star Wars book? Jabba’s palace band has been in a few! Just because they’re there in the background doesn’t mean they need to be expanded upon in print. When a TV show like Star Trek is in production, there’s essentially one funnel for the stories to go through. Then outside of that you’ve got comics, light novels, video games, et cetera. The network and the production staff are the gatekeepers on TV episodes and keeping the stories in line with how they’re supposed to be written. Nobody’s keeping an eye on book writers and whether or not they’re contradicting each other or previous TV episodes, the publisher’s just paying for a license and hiring some shlub who could barely get published otherwise. Spin-off material always reeks of fanwankery. “We never saw what happened to Ace, let’s write her on Gallifrey with a flying motorbike.” “Hey, wasn’t there a story already that dealt with Ace leaving the TARDIS?” “I don’t know, I never read that one. Who cares?”

And so ends yet another rant about books being canon. I really need to stop railing against this particular topic. Nothing to see here, move along. Move along, I said!

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I generally can’t tell the difference between fan fiction and the “official” books. Both seem to be some idle fantasy the writer dreamed up about the characters while waiting for the next episode of the series. It’s pretty much a self-indulgence, from what I can see. Or, as Steve calls it, Fanwankery. The only exception I can think of was James Blish’s “Spock Must Die” but even that has some self-indulgence in it but I wouldn’t go so far to call it fanwankery. But, then again, it’s been decades since I read it. (How’s that for wishy-washy? Charlie Brown would be proud).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I keep thinking of something my sister told me about. When the first books based on Stargate SG-1 came out, they were pretty much terrible. The author was given the contract, but she’d never watched the show before and seemed to have no interest in catching up. So, since the internet was still in early days, she looked up a bunch of fan fiction written about the show and based her books around the characterization found in those. So the character’s personalities were all wrong, simple story ideas were weird and distorted, and the readers were not happy. Eventually the contract was cancelled with the author and the publisher made sure the next author was familiar with the TV show before hiring them. So… just because that book was published, does that make it automatically canon to the series? Because a hack writer wanting a paycheck half-assed a couple books, does that mean they’re now in the show’s continuity, like it or not?

I used to read spin-off books years back, but I eventually threw in the towel. I’d started out in my childhood with Star Wars books (Splinter In The Mind’s Eye), read a bunch of halfway decent stuff through the years (Alien Nation books were mostly decent) and finally gave up around the time of the Farscape novels (not particularly good or memorable). There’s a bunch of Star Trek: Enterprise books I’d love to get and read, I just can’t see myself devoting time to it anymore, now that there’s high speed internet access available. I could read, or I could watch videos of kittens in tiny hats eating spaghetti! Which to choose?

Makes me want to write a gripping thriller about kittens in tiny hats eating spaghetti, just to see the resulting metaphysical quandary play itself out. 😆

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The kittens were the subject of a dream by a man who was stuck in a trap made by some alien race. the trap slows down time and seconds for him are hours for everyone else outside the trap. This trap is just a few dozen yards from a Stargate on some distant alien planet. The Go’uod (however you spell it) encounter the trap and man and shoot it (because that’s what they do). The shots reflect off the trap and kill the shooters. One minor Go’oud survives, looks scared, and escapes through the Stargate. Later, SG-1 shows up and the guy tries to tell them to not shoot. SG-1 can see him and can hear a low frequency noise but don’t understand what he is saying. The guy is wearing an SG uniform so they figure he’s one of theirs but don’t recognize him. They debate how to rescue him and O’Niel suggest shooting the trap to release the guy. O’Neil gets out the Zat gun and aims but, just before he shoots, Carter stops him and points out the guy is taking out a notepad from his pocket. Maybe he’ll tell them what to do. so they wait for the not as he S-L-O-W-L-Y writes it down. He tells them to not shoot the trap. He also says he can hear them but they talk too fast.

Anyway, before they figure out how to release him, the Go’oud show up in force (with the guy who escaped earlier) and much fighting happens. Eventually SG-1 win out by figuring out how to relase the guy which then also traps the Go’oud. Pretty neat huh? The guy is named Martin and he’s from SG-7 (or one of the Sg’s). He’s been trapped there for five years although it only seemed like a week or so.

How did SG-1 find this place? Some psychic sought SG-1 out and told them of an overpowering vision she’s been having for the past year: Kittens in tiny hats eating Spaghetti. It was driving her nuts but she had the presence of mind to divine the Stargate coordinates. It was Martin’s dream! And it saved him from certain starvation (in a couple years).

so, Earl, bang out that story and submit it. Make sure I get a co-author byline or Mr. Flibble will burn a hole in you with his laser eyes. 🙂

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I recall someone who posted many years ago that they considered the shows to be the “official recorded history” of Trek, while the books and such were more of “legends”.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Gapporin
    Participant

@earl wrote:

Makes me want to write a gripping thriller about kittens in tiny hats eating spaghetti, just to see the resulting metaphysical quandary play itself out. 😆

“Mittens! No!”

Trekcore has a fascinating piece on the possibility of remastering DS9 and Voyager in HD. The full article is here, and it includes an HD test render from a DS9 scene file that’s worth checking out. [LINK]

At the end of the article, they sum up the main points:

• Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager are far more challenging to remaster in HD due to their use of CG. Until now, the original assets used to create these CG shots were presumed lost.
    • Through talking to original artists such as Robert Bonchune, I discovered that a large number of the assets still exist for these shows.
    • The scene files can be accessed using current technology relatively easily.
    • A large amount of the work produced originally was over-built and should hold up well when re-rendered in high definition.

So… perhaps not the insurmountable problem that I originally thought. Mad props to the CG artists who were already seeing the future while they were building spaceships out of numbers and phosphor dots.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

While the files may be there, where is the business justification? A check of the TV guide shows only TNG on the air. It wasn’t until 1998 that HDTV was demonstrated, and both DSN and Voyager was several season in production so they can be forgiven if they were not produced with HD in mind.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

And, Amazon has a sale on the TNG BluRays, with S1 being $34 and S2-S5 being $46.

Yawm…. lets see in a year or so.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

So, Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Seventh Season will be released on December 2nd at the Amazon price of $91.

Meanwhile, the price of season 1, released July, 2012, can now be purchased at $42, with the lowest recorded price being $31.49 from last March.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.