March 26, 2019 at 4:20 pm #25223
That Obi-Wan standalone movie that got taken off the schedule after Solo underperformed at the box office? Might become a TV project instead. [LINK]
Although the ‘Boba Fett’ film was canned, ‘The Mandalorian’ follows a similar type of character and as time went on, people begun to theorise that the ‘Obi-Wan’ film would also get transformed into a Disney+ series.
StarWarsNewsNet then released a report stating that they had been told that a ‘Obi Wan’ Series was in development for Disney+. When discussing with our sources, we were told their report was accurate regarding a ‘Obi Wan’ series likely being in early development for Disney+. It is currently unknown who will make up the writing staff, as well as who will be the showrunner. However we do know, like with all current Star Wars projects that Kathleen Kennedy will executive produce. The series is expected to be limited and only be between 6-8 episodes rather than have multiple seasons. Filming is planned to take place in Pinewood Studios, UK similar to where the film was eyed to base production.
In regards to whether Ewan McGregor will reprise his role as Obi-Wan, it is currently unclear but I cannot imagine them doing it without him since McGregor wants to reprise the role and he was beloved by fans in the role.
Of course, this assumes that it’s not the Young Obi-Wan Chronicles or something like that…which, honestly, I don’t think anyone would buy into. What people want to see is more Ewan McGregor channeling Alec Guiness. Interesting blip of possible news (i.e. not confirmed by Disney) at any rate.
Whose miniseries would you be more excited about: Picard or Kenobi?
August 16, 2019 at 12:09 am #26149
This news is now confirmed by as reliable a source as you’re going to get this side of a Disney/Lucasfilm press release. [LINK]
Ewan McGregor is in talks to return as Jedi master Obi Wan Kenobi in a series for Disney Plus, Variety has confirmed.
No other details on the potential series were available. McGregor previously played the character in the three “Star Wars” prequels “The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones,” and “Revenge of the Sith.” There had been talk for years that McGregor would return in an Obi Wan standalone film, but those plans were reportedly put on hold following the unsuccessful roll out of “Star Wars” standalone film “Solo.”
Reps for McGregor and Disney Plus did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.
The Obi Wan series would be the third live-action “Star Wars” show on Disney Plus. The nascent streamer has previously announced “The Mandalorian” from Jon Favreau starring Pedro Pascal as well as a series based on Cassian Andor, the character first introduced in the film “Rogue One” with Diego Luna reprising his role from the film.
August 31, 2019 at 10:57 am #26187
More details on the now-confirmed Obi-Wan series (confirmed by Disney last week at D23) [LINK]:
StarWars.com confirmed that the long-awaited series will be set eight years after the final installment of George Lucas’ prequel trilogy, “where we last saw Obi-Wan delivering the infant Luke Skywalker to his Tatooine homestead.”
Interestingly, the position of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series in the Star Wars universe appears to tie-in closely with the timeframe for Solo: A Star Wars Story, which took place at the end of the Age of Republic, the era spanning the prequel trilogy.
There will be plenty of time to speculate, as production is not slated to begin on the Obi-Wan Kenobi series until 2020, as Kathleen Kennedy confirmed at D23 that the scripts for the Ewan McGregor-fronted series had been written, but filming was not scheduled to start until next year.
Man…missed a Kenobi vs. Picard showdown by about a year.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.