nVidia 580/680 verses 1050/1050Ti

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming nVidia 580/680 verses 1050/1050Ti

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

Here is an interesting technology comparison articles. The nVidia 580 (released in 2010) and nVidia 680 (released in 2012) were considered the top of the line video cards when originally released. the nVidia 1050 and 1050Ti, both released in late 2016, are considered low-end cards. Yet, because of technological improvements (improved performance, lower power consumption, more graphics memory), the performance of the 1050Ti is just a few frames better than the the 680.

Why even have the comparison? Because of the CyberCurrency craze, the price of even the low-end cards have spiked…. if you can get them. The 1050Ti is supposed to be a $150 card, but is now selling for around $250-$300 which is even higher than nVidia’s MSRP…. if you can find one in stock. Thus, you have to scrounge around the used card market.

Revisiting the GeForce GTX 680: GTX 1050 Ti-Class Performance for Less?
    8 Years Later: Does the GeForce GTX 580 Still Have Game in 2018?

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

*bites tongue to keep from mentioning yet again that the cryptocurrency fad will all come to nothing but tears*

I’m glad I got the video cards I have when I did. They do what I need them to do. Not gonna complain.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Earl: Dutch Tulip Bulb Mania.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

See also: Beanie Babies.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

It may be that card prices may finally be dropping again. A 1080Ti card which, for a while, would have set you back $1,899 at it’s peak (if you could get one) is around the more sane levels of $999.

Then, of course, there is the report that child abuse imagery found within bitcoin’s blockchain. This could make possession of Bitcoin a bit problematic legally.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Then, of course, there is the report that child abuse imagery found within bitcoin’s blockchain.

I had to go look this up…and…I don’t know how to insert a barfing emoticon in the forums, but just take it on good faith that there is, in spirit, a row of them here:

:barf:

ZLoth
    ZLoth

A 1080Ti was spotted for $770 yesterday.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Sigh… I elected not to wait for the 1180Ti, and instead just ordered a overclocked 1080 card for $560+tax. Looking at the CamelCamelCamel price tracking, this is the lowest price in months before the Cybercurrency drove things through the roof.

Gigabyte_Ge_Force_GTX_1080_G1_Gaming_8_G_B01_GJEE9_BG_2018_06_27_21_57_47

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The 1080 arrived Saturday. Plugged it in, and nice improvement on performance over my 980.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.