New GameStop Program Leads Employees To Lie To Customers

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Console Gaming New GameStop Program Leads Employees To Lie To Customers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Kotaku:

New GameStop Program Leads Employees To Lie To Customers

Have you gone to GameStop over the past few months and tried to buy a new game? Have they told you that it’s not in stock? They may simply be lying to you, fueled by a new program that discourages GameStop salespeople from selling unopened copies of video games.

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

FWIW… the closest I usually get to GameStop is that it’s next door to Wing Stop. I have gone into GameStop one or twice, and left being very unimpressed. I do remember one time where a kid was carrying a box containing their gaming console and box full of games, and being given “the steer” by their parent, and I could tell that the kid did something that got them into extreme trouble.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

The last time I walked into a Gamestop…

…geez, it’s when we got the Wii. Been a while.

Flack
    Participant

The last time I went to GameStop was the last time I’ll ever go to GameStop. Mason and I went in the day Star Wars Battlefront was released and tried to buy it. The guys working there treated us like morons and one of them said, “Do you think you can just walk in here off the street without a reservation and buy a game like that?” Our GameStop is in the same parking lot as Target, so we walked over to Target and did just that. I used to go to GameStop on occasion to buy controllers or accessories, but not any more. We still have Vintage Stock for used stuff and Target and Walmart for new games. None of those places have ever treated me like I was stupid for (gasp) trying to buy a game that just came out.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I haven’t bought anything in a GameStop since buying up loads of cheap Nokia N-Gage games there for something like $1.99 each. I learned to hate that place a long time ago. They’ve been acting horrible to their employees for a long time, it’s sad to see that it keeps getting worse for them. The company knows it doesn’t need to treat their own employee base nicely because there’s always new teenagers who (wrongly) think that working at a game store is nothing but fun. The stores stay functioning on a steady stream of temporary employees who haven’t been disillusioned yet.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I have only one memory of a Gamestop where the employees were condescending. This was years ago when I wanted a specific accessory for a GBA (I forget what it was, exactly). They treated me like I was a clueless parent of a gamer who didn’t know what a GBA was. This angered me and I repeated my request with more details on what I wanted. Realizing that I was not a clueless parent, they figured out what I wanted and told me they did not have it. I said “they” because I remember two employees were involved in the conversation. I think I ended up buying the accessory through eBay or Amazon.

This didn’t deter me from making future trips Gamestop but it did teach me to be more specific and assertive when I go there. Since that incident I bought my PS3 and a low end Wii. I have bought a couple games from them but only when I wanted the game RIGHT NOW. Most of the games I buy I usually get at CGE, OVGE and MGC.

My last visit to a Gamestop was last year when I was looking for a new 2DS to buy. They had only one color available (red) and I wanted a blue one. In fact, they had very little 2DS or even 3DS handhelds in stock. I found what I wanted at Target which – although still a small number in stock by my expectations – had twice as many 2DSes on display than Gamestop.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t know why people keep going back to GameStop, personally. Other than it’s the only place to trade in old games, since most places that you could do that either went out of business or were bought out by GameStop. Once the console companies really embrace downloading games over physical media, I can see GameStop dying off like Blockbuster did.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The business model is “teenagers catering to teenagers who don’t have a credit card.”

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And also teenagers that steal games from other stores who want to make a quick buck on them. Ask any employee, they’ve all seen it; a teenager brings in a stack of unopened games, the store can’t take them since they’re clearly stolen. But if the kid slits the seals open with a knife, then they can take them even though it’s still blatantly obvious that the teenager carrying in twelve new release factory-sealed games couldn’t have gotten them by any other means than theft.

Flack
    Participant

My priorities have changed to the point where there’s nothing gaming related I can think of that I wouldn’t wait 2 days for instead of 1. Whatever the best, most desirable game you can think of, if I could have it in 24 hours by going to GameStop, or 48 by ordering it on Amazon Prime, I’m in the two-day lane. And more likely the two-month or two-year one, haha.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Back when I was still buying new release games, I would just wait a few months until the game hit the $20 before picking it up. Rarely would I ever spend more. Now I don’t even care about current generation systems, I don’t have one and have no plans or desire to buy one. Everything’s multiplayer, I prefer single-player games. So, screw it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed