NES Classic Edition

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Flack 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Somehow, despite the site being down for what seemed like nearly everyone, Amazon sold out within 10 minutes. One wonders if the whole allotment went to Amazon employees. πŸ˜‰

Well this didn’t take long. [LINK]

This week saw separate hackers in Japan and Russia figure out soft-mod solutions to adding new games to the NES Classic. This means you don’t need to grab a screwdriver or a soldering iron to mod yours.

According to the whiz kids at Reddit’s NESClassicMods community, the solution won’t work until you’ve created a save file in Super Mario Bros’ first slot. (Chances are, you’ve already done this just by playing the game, since creating game saves is so easy with this system.) Once you’ve done that, connect your NES Classic Edition to a computer via a micro-USB cable, then boot the NES in “FEL” mode. This is done by holding down the system’s reset button while pushing down the power button from a powered-off state. While you’re booting, you should also run a “sunxi-FEL” interface on your computer. (An open-source version of compatible “USBBoot” software can be found here.)

The rest of the steps land firmly in “operate at your own risk” territory, as they require copying your NES Classic’s internal data to your computer, then modifying and adding files via an application made by hackers. Doing so, by the way, includes the dubious step of supplying your own ROM files, which you may have either dumped from your own cartridges or downloaded from other Internet users. One tool linked from that Reddit community, however, comes with two open-source NES ROMs that are in the legal free-and-clear to upload to your hardware.

Once you’ve added your own game files, which should also include custom JPGs that will appear in the NES Classic’s “box art” GUI, you’ll have to repack the hardware’s kernel, then fully flash the hardware yourself. (Again, we remind you, these kinds of technical steps can result in a bricked NES Classic if anything unexpected happens.) Do all of those steps correctly, and you’ll see every single game you’ve added appear in the slick, default interface.

As this exploit has only been in the wild for less than a day, we’ve yet to confirm exactly how many commercial and homebrew games are compatible with the NES Classic’s default emulator. But proof-of-concept videos have already shown classics such as the Mega Man series running without a hitch. (Interesting choice of game there, considering how badly Capcom butchered a nostalgic Mega Man launch this week.) Nintendo could have coded this emulator with the most basic routines, after all, as opposed to supporting the system’s full array of capabilities and abnormalities.

I wonder how many of the “limited quantities” of this system were bricked in the name of R&D? πŸ˜†

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Dunno. But, you still can’t get one for a “reasonable price” (within $40).

Flack
    Participant

MSRP is $60, so I wouldn’t expect to get one for $40 for quite a while.

That “soft mod” isn’t quite ready for prime time, IMHO. Maybe someone will streamline that process a bit and make it a bit more user friendly (aka user foolproof).

What I’d really like to see is someone rip the GUI off of that thing and figure out how to run it on the Pi.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Amazon has the NES Classic now for around $150 through a third party seller.

I am looking at the price and saying
    [attachment=0:8esjcwry]A nice big cup of nope.png[/attachment:8esjcwry]

In the meantime… I’m still fully capable of hooking a ten-buck USB NES controller to my media center PC and playing all of the games on that machine, and the rest of them, pretty much perfectly in emulation.

Sorry, I’m not trying to force everyone to breathe in a thick layer of smug, but…there is literally an app for this.

Flack
    Participant

Best Buy had them on their online store earlier this week for a couple of days. Every time a retailer gets them in stock, someone posts about it on Twitter and a gaggle of people go running. I’ve never seen such a ridiculously squandered opportunity by a video game retailer.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Ars Technica:

Nintendo hates money, discontinues the NES Classic
    Ignoring continued demand, Nintendo will stop producing the system this month.

Nintendo has announced that it will cease production of the 30-game NES Classic Edition plug-and-play system by the end of the month, even though retailers have been unable to keep the system on store shelves for pretty much the entirety of its six-month run on the market so far.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Β―_(ツ)_/Β―

I wanted one, too. But, I couldn’t justify the price.

You can build a more capable system, with a much larger roster of games, out of a Raspberry Pi. I’d be surprised if there’s not already an off-the-shelf front end menu system, ready to install, that mimics the NES Classic menu look and feel.

Trust me, the joke’s on Nintendo here.

Lo and behold, there’s an off-the-shelf, twenty-buck solution for a casing if you’re building a Pi-based NES Classics-type system: HDMI, USB, SD, power already in place. Just add some delicious, delicious Pi.

I’ve taken the liberty of adding this item to the site’s store. πŸ˜‰

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

If Nintendo were smart (questionable), they’d come out with another model with a different selection of games on it, maybe in addition to the variety of the first run. Instead of doing the Atari Flashback thing with just a few added titles from whatever company that’s still alive licensing their 2600 games cheap enough, Nintendo could make revisions with more and more games on it. Or they might do something like a SNES Classic Edition next year, then an N64 Classic Edition after that, and then loop around to the NES edition again.

Flack
    Participant

The SNES Classic Edition was just unofficially announced.

Flack
    Participant

@earl wrote:

I’ve taken the liberty of adding this item to the site’s store. πŸ˜‰

Just bought one through your store link. I just set up a RetroPie and could use a case for it. I figure Nintendo will shut this one down sooner or later so I might as well grab it now. The $19.85 (1985) price is a nice touch.

I look forward to hearing what you think about it. I’m strongly tempted to give it a shot. I already have one USB NES controller, and could probably pick up another one for $10, that case for $20, a Pi for $30ish…oh, hey, look, it’s 60 bucks, the original price point of the NES Mini! Except with a bazillion more games on it.

Flack
    Participant

I’ve been running RetroPi for quite a while now. I run mine using both a USB SNES game pad and wireless Microsoft 360 controllers. Once you drop the image onto an SD card, connect it to your network and fire it up, you can literally connect to it with a web browser and drop-and-drag ROMs over to it that way (or use FTP if you prefer). It literally could not be easier to set up. I only have a few emulators set up on mine at the moment — Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, and MAME — but a Pi 3 will handle pretty much anything you throw at it that’s below the Dreamcast.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed