National Video Game Museum set to open April 2nd

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Gaming History National Video Game Museum set to open April 2nd

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Flack
    Participant

The National Video Game Museum, run by Joe Santulli (from Digital Press) is set to open in Frisco, TX on 4/2/16. Below is a link to the website. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making a road trip down that weekend to check things out.

http://www.nvmusa.org/

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It’s about time. I’m not sure I want to go on opening weekend, though. I’d imagine it would be wall-to-wall people, and I’m not a fan of crowds. Especially when they’re mostly screaming children.

Flack
    Participant

I had planned to go opening weekend until I saw on Facebook that more than 10,000 people had said they might attend. I heard that the wait to get in was around 3 hours. I’ll go later this summer.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Something to do the next time I’m in Dallas, that’s for sure (when I’m done eating a double-double at In-n-Out, that is). There’s been a lot of smack talked about this museum, mostly from those bitter about how Joe handled the DP forums and other matters (the robbery of his storage space in Vegas, for example) so it will be interesting to see the place without the bias of the detractors.

Flack
    Participant

I haven’t checked the DP forums in years now so I didn’t know about the smack talk. If any, I was expecting it from the Kickstarters. I haven’t seen Kickstarter mentioned in any of the articles written about the place.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I don’t go to DP much anymore so I don’t know if there is any smack talk on there. I doubt it, considering the sycophants in charge of the forum nowadays (with a few exceptions like PapaStu). No, the detractors are on Facebook, the IRC and a few forums. Not worth your time looking for it anyways since you are better off forming your opinion unfettered by all that static that is based more on hard feelings than anything else.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

There aren’t a lot of sycophants left on DP, most of the old crowd have either drifted away from the hobby or have been banned for trash talking the kid running the place now.

I have yet to go to the museum. I really don’t like being around large crowds, so I’m holding out a bit. I might go next week, depending on my schedule. Actually today could have been a good time to go, but I didn’t wake up until 4:30 in the afternoon. That’s another problem, since I have such horrible sleep patterns it’s getting a decent amount of sleep that’s more of a priority.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m coming off another vacation week where I’ve been sleeping normal human being hours, so I was awake early enough to hit the museum today (it closes at 5pm). I’ve seen pictures of it before, but a lot of it surprised me. Like the section with all the board games based on arcade titles (I’m totally jealous of that Wizard of Wor board game), or the area with all the electronic handhelds. They have store kiosks for consoles like the Jaguar, the Pioneer Laseractive, the Atari 2600, and the Atari 800 computer. There’s a bunch of consoles set up along one wall to play, and in another section they’ve got loads of home computers set up. I was mildly annoyed that the Dragon’s Lair game wasn’t on.

It was fun to walk through the place saying, “got that one, got that one, don’t have that one” in the dedicated areas. There’s lots of coverage of old-school stuff rather than heavily leaning on the Nintendo eras like I assumed it would. And a nice little arcade that they give you four tokens with your entrance fee for (there’s also a change machine too). Somebody put five tokens into Deluxe Space Invaders and walked away. That was weird. I was also bummed out a little that the gift shop was out of the T-shirt I had wanted. But all in all, a good trip.

There was a bushy-headed teenager providing an employee presence in the museum, and he could not be any more bored with his job. I talked to him for a minute, and he just wanders around listening to the piped-in ’80s music, answering the rare question, but mostly sitting in various locations with his face in his phone. How many people would love to have a job like that, with no real goal or job description, just getting paid for showing up. It sounds like an ideal job for a teenager. He seemed uninterested in being surrounded by the entire history of video games on a daily basis.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed